Mobius 2 - recording problem

nexus.sixx

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mobius 2 - recording problem

Hi

I have been using a mobius 2 as a dash cam for a about 3 years (with a battery) without too many issues.
It recently stopped recording and after looking at the SD card on my PC it appeared to record ok but not save the last file
correctly which I put down as a failed battery issue so I just ordered and fitted a super capacitor but now have another issue.

The SD card is a recently purchased Sandisk Ultra 32GB class 10 bought from Amazon so should be genuine.

If I format the card using the in built camera routine and apply external power it powers up and records and
correctly saves the file when powered off so the new Super Cap must be working OK . If I run it for a period it records
multiple files and finally the last file all OK.

The problem is if I then power it up again after it has been used only once it does not then start recording. After the initial start up LEDS
the orange LED is steady showing it is in video mode 1 but on standby.

If I reformat the card it will go around the same loop as described above i.e record ok once only.

I have also reloaded the 2.14 firmware and tried a reset

The only thing I can think of is that it doesn't like the Sandisk SD card for some reason but it will record to it straight after formatting but only once.

Anyone got any ideas ??

thanks

The Mobius 2 camera was a flawed, highly problematic camera that was eventually discontinued. In fact, because of all the problems and performance issues the manufacturer even offered a discount to confirmed purchasers of the Mobius 2 if they wanted to migrate to the newer Mobius Maxi model.

Since you seem to have tried all the usual standard troubleshooting methods, the only thing I can suggest is a different brand of SD card. It happens that the Sandisk Ultra 32GB class 10 is well known to be problematic, especially in certain cameras so perhaps a different brand might do the trick? Before you do that try formatting the SandDisk card in FAT32 with your computer using a card reader and then reinsert it in the camera. It's worth a try.

It may be time to consider a new camera. With three years of success using a Mobius 2 camera you can consider yourself to be among the lucky few.

@nexus.sixx, there is something you could try now that I think about it. Open the camera, remove the super-capacitor and wait at least thirty seconds. Then re-install the caps and see if the camera works again when you power up the camera. This camera was prone to freezing up unexpectedly and so the kind of problem you are experiencing was not uncommon. If removing the super-cap temporarily fixes the problem, don't be surprised if it happens again.

@nexus.sixx, there is something you could try now that I think about it. Open the camera, remove the super-capacitor and wait at least thirty seconds. Then re-install the caps and see if the camera works again when you power up the camera. This camera was prone to freezing up unexpectedly and so the kind of problem you are experiencing was not uncommon. If removing the super-cap temporarily fixes the problem, don't be surprised if it happens again.
OK - Thanks for the suggestions. I will give them a try.
I am looking at getting a new dash cam - the viofo a119 v3 is the one I am targeting at present. I think I will order a new SD card that I can try in the old Mobius but also then use in the new dash cam.
This one from Amazon looks OK

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B085FH3LBD

OK - Thanks for the suggestions. I will give them a try.
I am looking at getting a new dash cam - the viofo a119 v3 is the one I am targeting at present. I think I will order a new SD card that I can try in the old Mobius but also then use in the new dash cam.
This one from Amazon looks OK

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B085FH3LBD

Yes, that card is an excellent choice for either camera.

@Dashmellow

I tried a full format using my windows 10 PC and its inbuilt card reader - this made no difference. Also tried uplugging and replugging the super capicitor this also had no effect.

However, purely by accident I have found the failure mode is slightly different to how I first thought.

The last time it worked I let it record for a few hours thereby using the whole card capacity and forcing it to over right some of the files. This seemed to work and all
files on the Sandisk card were playable . I then plugged the camera back into a power source it booted up but failed to record. In frustration I left it overnight and then tried it again and
this time it booted up and started recording as normal but once again when I tried to use it again straight away it booted up but failed to record.

I have since tried this routine again and its does repeat the failure so by leaving the camera unpowered for a period of time fixes the issue until you try to power on and off
in short periods when then it fails to record.

Maybe it could be a component on the PCB that is failing that causes the issue. I am not electrical so I don't really understand the process of how by powering it on forces it to record.

I dont know how long it needs to be powered off before it works again but its not very useful as it is so I might move it to my bike as a handle bar cam which I only use twice per week.

Seems like it's really time to purchase a new camera. You've had more success with the Mobius M2 than most people and if you can still use it on your bike, even better.

If you still want a matchbox style mini camera there don't seem to be too many options. I'm still a big fan of the original Mobius 1 but the Mobius Maxi might suit your needs. The Maxi has its own set of problems but it was a more viable dash camera than the M2 in many ways.

I'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised by the difference in image quality moving from the M2 to an A119V3.

Similar to other people's experiences, my M2 test units both failed after becoming unreliable, particularly when booting up.

Back