Mobius 360° rotatable Magnetic Mount / Bracket with Quick mount / dismount

niko

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Dash Cam
Street Guardian UK / EU / EEA Distributor
This is an updated version from my previous project ( HERE ) where I have used a neodymium magnets glued to the bracket / mount.

Back-side of Mobius also has thin metal "casing" mounted with double sided tape in order to get hold by neodymium magnets.

Mobius can be easily rotated 360°, but for that you need to leave slightly longer power cable, in order to allow free 360° rotation and also it depends where you want to mount it.

Quick mount / dismount solution.

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

a3.jpg

a4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's pretty neat! :) How have you bonded the magnet mount to your windscreen?

That's pretty neat! :) How have you bonded the magnet mount to your windscreen?

Thankz.
Magnets to metal bracket using gel-type super glue.
Metal bracket to windshield using black double-sided tape.

I like it. I've had a vague idea about using super-strength velcro to mount my Mobius exactly where I want it, but I need to put some more thought into the bracket. I like the simplicity of yours but I always like to take a design and improve on it if I can. The magnets are a great idea though. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
As I have a good quantity of the extra-strong velcro tape, I'll try that first. But thanks for the info, I've bookmarked a link to the 3M tape. If it's stronger than the velcro I've linked to I'll be very impressed (and pleased) as that stuff is VERY solid in use. It's not like regular velcro at all.

Last edited:
Excellent Design, I expect your great magnetic idea to be adopted as an official solution by someone at some point. (maybe you should patent this) ;-)

Excellent Design, I expect your great magnetic idea to be adopted as an official solution by someone at some point. (maybe you should patent this) ;-)

Ohh, yeah, I had considered an idea with patents but dont have finances for global ( worldwide ) patent.
I have a lot of creazy ideas in my head, which doest allow me to sleep :)

What happens if you crash? Does the magnet hold? I suppose a claim could be made that a suction cup wouldn't hold either... but I'm thinking the magnets are less sturdy.

What happens if you crash? Does the magnet hold? I suppose a claim could be made that a suction cup wouldn't hold either... but I'm thinking the magnets are less sturdy.

Niko is a very dedicated DIYer, one of the best! We are all very grateful for his endeavors. He likes to do lots of testing and trouble shooting and all of that, but so far, he hasn't been willing to crash his car to test this DIY mod. :eek:;)
Those rare earth magnets are pretty strong and I guess we'll just have to have faith in them.............

Last edited:
Fair point ;) I like the magnet design and I think it's far preferable to clamps and suction cups... as long as the camera doesn't go flying off upon impact with a now unreadable SD card. That would kind of defeat the purpose :)

U have a point. All depends on magnets strenght used and on how hard is impact. Magnets used here are mid-strenght just for quick DIY demo project, didnt had any others at that moment, but they are OK for normal driving ( never "tested" heavy impact ), God forbids.
If I would do same project again, I would stronger magnects just in case of heavy impact as you pointed out.

Fair point ;) I like the magnet design and I think it's far preferable to clamps and suction cups... as long as the camera doesn't go flying off upon impact with a now unreadable SD card. That would kind of defeat the purpose :)

To prevent flying upfront there is a very simple solution to make same edge of mount in the front as I have it at the back. Slide in / out could be done side-ways. In case of impact, front edge will not allow inercia force to move Mobius front way.
Hope u know what I mean.

Love the idea of using magnets, but neodymium magnets are/can be VERY strong. Has anyone thought about the magnetic effect on the SD card itself? Would it not be affected?

Update: Ok just found an answer to my own question. Apparently because SD card are basically EEPROMS, then they are only erasable electronically, and strong magnetic fields will have no effect.

Last edited:
Back