Mobius A2 lens experiences & observations

It does seem that what you are experiencing is much more subtle that my experience here. I would probably consider this to be of "minor concern as well".

It is not yet clear why there would such a pronounced difference but I'm sort of glad to see some form of conformation of the problem at any rate. If you keep testing time will tell if things get worse under different conditions, assuming you are still using the "A" setting.

So far, since first reporting it in February there has been no acknowledgment from Mobius that this issue even exists. There has been no mention to date of any new lens profile being added to the firmware.

From my perspective, as long as the CYAN color cast is as severe and persistent as it is, (for me) there is a problem that requires addressing that will probably be of concern to dash cam users as well as FPV enthusiasts.

I certainly hope that the Mobius team works on these issues and adds the dedicated lens profiles. Seems the appropriate way to go about things as the new lenses are coming from them (not a 3rd party hack job looking for adjustments).

I'll leave it on the A lens setting for a few weeks. Will post if anything worthy of mention pops up.

To be honest I can't see any difference between the 3. I used the man in the chair as a reference point.

Other than the colour of the trees, there's actually not much difference.

Actually, there are pronounced differences. I have a calibrated monitor so perhaps I can see them more easily.

I used a digital color meter to analyze the RGB values and here are some screen shots to illustrate.
The green outlined area is where I sampled from. The RGB numbers tell the story.

As I demonstrated and mentioned on Saturday when I tested all three settings with the camera on a tripod, the A setting was distinctly cooler (cyan) and the B and C settings were warmer and more balanced but had similar RBG values. These results confirm those settings.

A.jpg

B.jpg

C2.jpg

Actually, there are pronounced differences. I have a calibrated monitor so perhaps I can see them more easily.

I used a digital color meter to analyze the RGB values and here are some screen shots to illustrate.
The green outlined area is where I sampled from. The RGB numbers tell the story.

As I demonstrated and mentioned on Saturday when I tested all three settings with the camera on a tripod, the A setting was distinctly cooler (cyan) and the B and C settings were warmer and more balanced but had similar RBG values. These results confirm those settings.

View attachment 30151

View attachment 30152

View attachment 30154

I think Lola was referring to the pics from yesterday.

The ones from today do show the differences a little better. I actually like the cooler look from the A profile, looks a lot more accurate (at least the tarmac).

I think Lola was referring to the pics from yesterday.

The ones from today do show the differences a little better. I actually like the cooler look from the A profile, looks a lot more accurate (at least the tarmac).

I just checked and those images also have quite different RGB values at precisely the same locations on the tarmac.

From my professional experience with photographic color calibration and correction both in print, chemical based photo processes and digital, neutral gray by the numbers is the reference point and goal; everything on either side of that is objective.
You can elect to go with a warmer or cooler, or greener, or redder color cast but the departure point is always a calibrated neutral gray. (or as close as possible) The basic premise is that if you've correctly calibrated for gray then all other colors should fall into place for proper white balance.

I would assume that digital camera developers would also need to calibrate by the numbers but each component such as the lens, the sensor, etc. has it's own color profile or inherent characteristics and they all need to work in concert for the color balance to be correct. This is similar to how computers work so that a photo you see on your (calibrated) monitor has the correct colors when it eventually gets sent to a printing company and the printing company has to have all their equipment calibrated so what they produce matches your original.

If you think profile A looks better that's fine, (and I would tend to agree with you) but the numbers tell you the real story.

Of course, when you see an entire image with a very pronounced CYAN color cast you know the numbers are off, it's a question of how much. In this case, it's a question of why it is happening.

Last edited:
Back