Mobius ActionCam - Rear Dashcam

Harsh

Reaction score
Country
India
Ever since my interest in Dashcams and installing the first one in my Active, I had it in the back of my mind to install one for the rear but initially for a couple of reasons it didn't pan out as expected and was put on the back-burner.

Only until a couple of months later. That's when I got rear ended by an impatient rider and driver on two different occasions during slow moving traffic. The thought of dealing with the misery of, 'your word against mine', in an incident where uncouth people and damage could be involved, brought some urgency to the almost shelved plan.

These two incidents and the blatant lies plus subterfuge some people resort to, of which I can speak from personal experience, made me seriously look for a discreet solution for the rear.

Luckily on both occasions the Active escaped unscathed. Neither had an answer to maintaining a safe distance, in my response to them accusing me of braking suddenly.

With the SG9665GC performing brilliantly in the front it was time to look for an equally discreet and reliable camera to go in the back. Once again the search had begun.

My requirements from the new dashcam were:

1. Should be discreet
  2. Good video quality day and night
  3. No batteries, must be capacitor based
  4. Solid reliability
After days of looking and dismissing the Mobius on first glance (due to the lack of a screen), I was at a loss to find something that was discreet for a rear install.

I tried mounting the idle laying Mini 0805 and A118C to the rear windshield, the headliner and the exposed metal part in between, but to no avail. Both cameras were sticking out like a sore thumb from every angle. Two Dashcams that are considered discreet than most of what's available had failed miserably at being inconspicuous in the rear.

With most of my 'research' concentrating on content here, I came across a thread dedicated to pictures showing how members had mounted various different Dashcams in the front and rear using supplied, tweaked or DIY mounts and magnets. This is where the size and varied mounting options possible with the Mobius and a separate thread dedicated to mounting the Mobius caught my attention.

With a little clarity plus inspiration from the posts, I could actually picture the Mobius mounted where it is now, minus the tilt mount finally used. Then it was just a 'triangular wedge' shaped filler I was looking for, so that I could tilt and push the camera a little forward towards the windshield.

Mobius ActionCam

Mobius.png

The Mobius ActionCam is manufactured by a Chinese company that's also know for its popular #16 Keychain 808 Spy Camera. The Mobius is mainly targeted at the FPV RC racing and drone flying community due to its compact size and minimal weight. Measuring just 61 x 35 x 18mm and weighing a mere 39 grams, it is ideal for mounting on remote controlled boats, cars, quadcopters and even pets for a first person view.

Due to its form-factor and myriad of mounting options it didn't take long for the Mobius to receive a lot of attention from Dashcam enthusiasts. Features like loop-recording, file-recycle and power-off on disconnect only helped this tiny and mount friendly camera's cause.

The Mobius is capable of 1080p @ 30fps and 720p @ 60fps. As a rear Dashcam, video quality during the day is excellent. Night-time video quality for the rear suffers to varying degrees depending upon the surrounding levels of light, in a nutshell - it isn't great.

The video needs to be flipped 180° in the settings menu for dashcam usage as usually it'll be mounted up-side down. Unless you mount it on the dashboard.

The Mobius supports cards up to 128GB when formatted in FAT-32. Using a 32GB card I get about 4.5 hours of footage.

The Mobius comes fitted with a 820 mAh battery that lasts 120 minutes in 1080p mode on a full charge. The battery can be easily swapped with a super-capacitor, which was the first thing I did after opening the package.

The housing is made of 'rugged high-density plastic'. On the outside there are three buttons, two LED indicators and metal heat sink, in addition to the SD card slot, mini USB power supply port and holes for the reset button + microphone.

The Mobius with its minimalistic design can be fully operated with just its 3 buttons - the Power button, Mode and Record button.

The Power button turns the camera on and off. The Mode button changes the resolution to 720p @ 60fps from 1080p @ 30fps. Pressing it again switches the Mobius to Photo mode. The record button starts and stops a recording.

Of course once set-up and mounted to be used as a Dashcam, you don't need to press any buttons. The Mobius starts recording when it senses power and turns off after saving the last file when power is cut.

As of now there are 2 lens configurations available -

Standard A lens - HFOV of 87° with minor fisheye distortion. Narrower view but better number plates readability.

C2 Wide angle lens - HFOV of 131° with major fisheye distortion. The C2 is a better performer in low-light.

There's a 3rd version with the lens rotated to 90° for easy mounting on a helmet for bikers and cyclists.

LED's on the housing indicate if the Mobius is recording or in standby, colour of the LED on top of the housing indicates the mode it's recording in.

A detailed instruction manual cum user guide and the Windows configuration utility is available at the following link.

http://www.mytempfiles.info/mobius/index.html

Pics

Top - Power button, mode button, record button, the heatsink and LED indicator.

Mobiusp5.png

Mobiusp3.png

Bottom.

Mobiusp4.png

Side.

Mobiusp2.png

The lens. Microphone hole visible.

Mobiusp7.png

Mounting holder with the 1/4" tripod nut.

Mobiusp6.png

Mobiusp8.png

Back - Mini USB charging port, MicroSD slot, reset button hole and LED indicator.

Mobiusr2.png

Standard package. I was unable to find the included allen key at the time of taking this photo. The adhesive backed velcro piece included was useless.

Mobiusr1.png

continued..

Last edited:
Mounted in the rear on the bare metal area between the windshield and headliner.

Mobiush4.png

Mobiush5.png

Mobiush6.png

Thank you @dash riposki

The excess cable automatically folds into the gap when the hatch is closed. :)

Mobiush7.png

Mobiush8.png

Mobiush9.png

Specifications:

Processor: Novatek NT96650
CMOS sensor: Aptina AR0330
Sensor size: 1/2.7″, 3.5 mega pixels
Lens: Wide angle C2 lens – 131° HFOV
Video formats: Full HD 1080P @ 30fps and HD 720P @ 60fps. H.264/AVC
Audio format: Mono @ 512 Kbps
Photo resolution: 2304 x 1536, 1920 x 1080 and 1280 x 720
Battery: 3.7v 820mAh, up to 120 minutes
Storage: Up to 128GB with FAT-32
Connector: Mini USB

Package contents:

1. Mobius C2 wide-angle action camera + lens cap
  2. Mini USB cable (short)
  3. Mini Allen-key (lens refocus tool)
  4. 1/4" tripod screw based mounting bracket/holder
The package contents are minimal at best. Charger/power supply and a long USB cable are not included.

Cost and store links:

The Mobius and its mounting accessories were bought from Banggood, below's the break-down.

Mobius ActionCam wide angle C2 version - $69.99
Super capacitor - $5.29
FPV mount 25° - $4.82
FPV mount 15° - $4.99 (recently bought)
Mini adhesive ball-joint tripod mount - $3.99
Lens extension cable - $5.29

Total cost including shipping and transit insurance was just shy of $95.

I had also ordered the 20cm lens extension cable but the FPV mount worked out so well that I didn't need the cable after all. The lens can be extended outside its casing using the extension cable and be mounted discreetly with some DIY.

The manufacturer sells the Mobius directly from China via eBay with free shipping worldwide. Here's a link to their eBay stores - http://stores.ebay.com/eletoponline365/ & http://stores.ebay.com/digitalele889

The only reason I bought from Banggood is because the tilt mount, lens extension cable and the super-capacitor were all available in one place. The manufacturer does not stock the mentioned accessories.

Mobius ActionCam C2 lens - http://www.banggood.com/Mobius-New-V...-p-985644.html

Super-capacitor - http://www.banggood.com/Super-Capaci...-p-918122.html

15° FPV mount - http://www.banggood.com/Mobius-HD-Ca...-p-988182.html

25° FPV mount - http://www.banggood.com/FPV-Mobius-C...p-1024388.html

Adhesive ball-joint tripod mount - http://www.banggood.com/Vehicle-Reco...p-1037206.html

Lens extension cable - http://www.banggood.com/20cm-26PIN-L...m-p-91830.html

What I like:
  • Small size - as discreet as it can get
  • Lots of mounting options with and without its mounting sleeve, for both the front and rear
  • Proven long-term reliability as a Dashcam has been well documented on DashcamTalk
  • Excellent video quality during the day for the rear
  • Even with night quality not being up to the mark in the rear, the Mobius picks up a lot of detail that other Dashcams fail to do in similar lighting
  • Capacitor compatibility
  • FRP (Fibre reinforced plastic) used for the lens holder module
  • Good build quality. Really like the rubberised feel to its housing
  • Inclusion of a lens cap, makes life so much easier in regard to handling

Don't like:
  • Night quality for the rear is not good in comparison to how it does in the front. There's a lot of grain by late evening and in very low-light it gets worse
  • The external heatsink, it can get a little too warm. Not an issue for me though as it's mounted in the rear
  • The microphone. It's far worse than the Mini's, leave alone comparing it with the SG9665GC's (which BTW rocks!)
  • The fisheye effect due to the wide angle lens, I could have gone with the standard 'A' lens but that would've compromised night-time video quality

After using the Mobius for the past two months, below are a few observations -

The Mobius performs way better in front than the rear for night-time footage, quality suffers due to varying lighting conditions at night.

In order to get better exposure, it's recommended to aim the Mobius angled a bit downwards, especially when mounted in front. The FPV mount takes care of that in the rear. Thank you @Dashmellow

Even though the video gets grainy post evening, there is still a lot of detail captured by the Mobius. It does a great job at capturing the sidewalks even on dimly lit roads.

The Mobius ActionCam app for Android works well to configure and aim the Mobius, only thing missing is the ability to format the SD card. The few times I've used mSetup was for configuring the Mobius initially and for formatting the SD card using the built-in routine a couple of times.

The microphone quality leaves a lot to be desired. Plan on turning off audio recording as the SG966GC has that covered.

I could see glitches in some of the videos for a couple of days initially, formatting the SD card while inserted in the Mobius rectified that issue.

Last edited:
File information and Configuration utilities

Generated video file properties

Codec details.

2.png

Bitrate details.

3.png

Files list.

1.png

The Mobius records video in 1080p @ 30fps with a bitrate of 18mbps, audio is recorded in Mono @ 512kbps.

As the Mobius does not have GPS, I do not see the need for a dedicated playback software. VLC and Quicktime work great.

Configuration utilities

Mobius ActionCam app for Android

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ctioncam&hl=en

Main window.

Screenshot_20161001-001457.png

Configuration menu with customisable camera settings, all the configuration tabs available in mSetup are present.

Screenshot_20161001-005653.png

Live view screen with grid lines which assists in aiming the camera while mounting.

Screenshot_20161001-005328.png

Media on the SD card, can be copied to the phone.

Screenshot_20161001-004218.png

Firmware update check.

Screenshot_20161001-005420.png

continued..

Last edited:
mSetup for Windows

http://www.mytempfiles.info/mobius/index.html

The options selected in the screenshots below is how my Mobius is configured to be used as a Dashcam.

Main window with basic settings tab.

msetup.PNG

Miscellaneous settings.

mSetup-1.PNG

Video mode 1.

mSetup2.PNG

Video mode 2.

mSetup3.PNG

Photo mode.

mSetup4.PNG

Advanced settings.

mSetup5.PNG

Tools menu.

mSetup6.PNG

Last edited:
DIY Install

The Mobius is powered in the rear using a Mini USB cable coming from an Aukey 4-port USB car charger, which sits in the glovebox. The Aukey unit connects to a 12V female cigarette lighter socket coming from the fuse box on the driver's side, with the wiring hidden behind the lower console and footwell trim panels. The 2 metre female socket kit comes crimped to a fuse-tap, which connects to the fuse box. The ground wire is connected to a bolt on the car's body using a ring terminal.

The 2 metre female cigarette lighter socket kit that comes crimped to a fuse-tap is exactly the same as the one used for my Street Guardian SG9665GC. Only difference being that for the SG9665GC, I had used a shorter version.

Below's a link to the DIY hardwire install for my Street Guardian SG9665GC. The hardwiring process using the one metre kit is covered step-by-step in the linked post.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...-v2-dashcam-review-install.20888/#post-273725

The hardwiring process is exactly the same as done for the SG9665GC install, hence I'll not be repeating the steps and pictures in this thread.

This post will concentrate on connecting the new Aukey power supply that resides in the glovebox and routing of USB cables to the rear in a concealed manner.

If one's interested in a similar install that involves hardwiring, I highly recommend going through the above linked post before continuing with this thread further.

Items used for the install

Aukey quick charge 2.0 USB car charger.

http://www.amazon.in/Aukey-Charger-A.../dp/B00VFZKA22

Unable to get hold of Monoprice cables, I settled for cables from Amazon basics.

Mini USB cables.

http://www.amazon.in/AmazonBasics-US.../dp/B00NH11N5A

http://www.amazon.in/AmazonBasics-Ex.../dp/B00NH136GE ( for the rear)

The cables are shielded and well protected against interference and noise.

2 metre cigarette lighter socket kit with a crimped fuse-tap.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1M-1...272214179.html

The 2 metre kit was ordered on special request as the seller doesn't list the 2 metre version as regular inventory in their online store. Most of the 2-5 metre 12V extension cables available online come with a 12V male socket on one end and a female one on the other.

DIY Mobius ActionCam rear install

I was not happy with the 12V sockets cable-tied and concealed behind the trim panels after getting done with the SG9665GC's hardwiring, the power supply setup needed to be more accessible. Decided to move it to the glovebox while reducing the number of fuse-taps needed to power more than one Dashcam. With the new setup, the Aukey USB charger and the 12V female socket sit comfortably in the glovebox, providing easy access if required.

Started with taking off the weather seal rubber beading from both the passenger side doors, the A-pillar trim and the dashboard side trim, using a pry-tool where possible. The glovebox also needs to be removed.

2 Metre Cigarette lighter socket kit with a crimped fuse-tap.

Mobiusinst1.png

Original fuse - 20A, additional fuse - 10A.

Mobiusinst2.png

The 12V female cigarette lighter socket connected to the fusebox using the crimped fuse-tap, excess wire was cable tied and using a wire management clip the visible wire was secured behind the upper trim panel.

Mobiusinst4.png

The female socket comes out from behind the trim panels into the passenger area.

Mobiusinst3.png

12V socket fed into the glovebox from the right.

Mobiusinst5.png

The Aukey 4 port USB charger connects to the 12V socket and is secured together using electrical tape.

Mobiusinst12.png

Mini USB cable from the Aukey coming up the side and going towards the headliner via the A-pillar. Secure the loose wire using wire management clips.

Mobiusinst8.png

The Mini USB cable was extended to the rear using a 1.8 metre extension cable. The USB connection between the two cables is secured using lots of electrical tape.

Mobiusinst7.png

continued..

Last edited:
Mini USB cable routed towards the B-pillar

Mobiusinst11.png

Mini USB cable further routed past the B-pillar. Once the rubber beading is removed, gently pry the B-pillar trim and slide the cable into the gap that's created on nudging the trim panel. Once completely past the D shaped part of the trim's top, it easily fits into the headliner as it did on the other side.

Mobiusinst6.png

Mini USB cable going from the B-pillar to the C-pillar. The cable can be gently pushed behind the C-pillar's trim panel and continue towards the back via the headliner.

Mobiusinst10.png

This is where it comes out once past the C-pillar trim panel.

Mobiusinst14.png

Always exit the cable from under the rubber beading so that there's no gap created for water to seep in.

Mobiusinst16.png

All that remains is to tuck the excess cable into the headliner gap and put back the rubber beading, A-pillar and dashboard trim.

Done! :)

The Aukey charger connected and powering both Dashcams. I've routed two USB cables for the front, in case I want to mount the Mobius next to the SG9665GC using the helmet mount. Third USB cable is hidden behind the Aukey unit.

Mobiusinst15.png

The 16AWG wire with a length of 2 metres including the crimped fuse-tap checks out to be electrically sound for a 10A draw, as per the chart below.

chart.png

Amp draw for front and rear cameras is 0.33A and 0.34A respectively. My HTC M8 Eye draws 1.2A when connected to the QC port, with the regular port it draws 0.90A. Total amp draw with the Dashcams and a phone connected is well under the 10A limit for a 6 foot 16 AWG wire.

Mobiusinst13.png

Conclusion

The versatility of the Mobius and what it offers is definitely worth a lot more than its $70 price.

I couldn't be happier with how discreet the setup has turned out by using the FPV tilt mount.

IMO the Mobius is truly a mount and forget device. It comes with proven reliability as a Dashcam and hasn't missed a beat till date.

Thank you very much @jokiin and @dash riposki for all your help during my search for a rear dash cam.

Hope this was useful.

Cheers! :)

Last edited:
Videos

Front and rear video combined and synced.

Following are from when the 25° mount was in use, you can see a bit more of the parcel tray.

Daytime

Night-time

Videos with the new 15° mount

Daytime

continued..

Last edited:
Mounting options explored

Mounts - Adhesive ball-joint mount, helmet mount and the 25° FPV tilt mount.

Mobiush3.png

Found all the mounts on Banggood while browsing accessories tagged with the keyword 'Mobius'. I knew these would be perfect for my install the moment I lay my eyes on them.

All mounts have been stuck to the metal surface with 3M 5952 VHB double sided adhesive tape.

Link - http://www.amazon.in/clickforsign-Do.../dp/B01C054CNI

View with the hatch raised - 25° tilt mount, 15° tilt mount with the Mobius attached and a small ball-joint type adhesive tripod mount.

Mobiusm1.png

The Mobius is mounted in the 15° mount.

Mobiusm2.png

Ball-joint mount, next to the FPV mounts.

Mobiusm4.png

Mobius mounted with the old 25° tilt mount. Angle and size variation between the two mounts is clearly visible.

Mobiusm6.png

15° tilt mount in use.

Mobiusm7.png

25° tilt mount in use.

Mobiusm8.png

Ball-joint tripod mount in use.

Mobiusm9.png

Closer view. 15° tilt mount in use.

Mobiusm10.png

Mobius mounted in the front using a tweaked low-profile helmet mount. Very versatile mount, wish I could say good things about the quality as well.

Mobiusm11.png

Link - http://www.banggood.com/Mount-holder...S-p-91748.html

Last edited:
Mobius (F.W V. 2.41) - 1080p @ 30 FPS, Bitrate - 18 MB/s, WDR - On, Sharpness - +15, CPL - No.

Night.

Market

Intermittent ambient lighting

Mobius

Last edited:
Mobius (F.W V. 2.41) - 1080p @ 30 FPS, Bitrate - 18 MB/s, WDR - On, CPL - No.

Mobius now at default settings.

Night.

Different market

Tailing headlights

Mobius

Last edited:
Mobius - (F.W V. 2.41) - 1080p @ 30 FPS, WDR - On, Bitrate - 18 MB/s, Exposure- -10, Contrast - +10, CPL - No.

Streetlights

Market

Mobius - (F.W V. 2.41)
- 1080p @ 30 FPS, WDR - On, Bitrate - 18 MB/s, CPL - No.

Evening

Streetlights

Tailing headlights (low-beam)

Tailing headlights (high-beam)

I dont care what people say about the little and old M1 camera.
It is true there are now hardware out there that perform better in low light conditions.

BUT ! here is the kicker.

Those cameras with better low light performance, well what ever more you might be able to make out in the footage,,,,, well thats still useless as its mostly just a blur.
And so i personally cant really be bothered with low light performance, i just have 4 things i ask of a dashcamera in low light.

1. That is is able to document i keep in my lane / side of the road
2. That it can document my driving is not erratic.
3. The color of the intersections i pass thru.
4. My speed. ( optional for all but front camera )

Low light is also a reason why i like other things to be logged like you can do via OBD, several of those things would be nice to have as they could disproof what ever some idiot is lying about what happened on a dark road at night.

Dont get me wrong i would love for low light performance to be much better and more visually useful, not least as that would also have a positive impact on daytime / grey days performance, but i also know that is not going to happen anytime soon.

And thats why i in general have no problem still recommending the old M1 camera for a range of use in a car, cuz it is leagues better than having no camera at all, or a cheap POS camera that have a > 70% chance of failing you when you need it the most.

Actually the low-light quality isn't all that bad, I was expecting a bit too much and in hindsight was a little overcritical.

A comparison with the A119S in the rear shows the Mobius holding its own and the some.

Plan on getting another M1 and maybe an additional lens module once the issues described by Dashmellow are sorted. Once improved the M2 can stay in the rear and the M1's will go somewhere near the B-pillars.

Switched the original C2 lens to the new D lens.

All settings are at default, lens profile selected is for the C/C2 lens.

YT's compression degrades the videos quality by introducing macro-blocking, especially with daytime footage. Download the linked RAW files to view the original uncompressed quality.

Daytime

Trees & sun

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2QpS6z26WogNHNsQXNVSDI3SzA

Lots of tailing cars

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2QpS6z26WogREoyZDctUkRrcGM

Sun hitting from different directions

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2QpS6z26WogR3lIS1IwTUpQN00

Sunny and shade

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2QpS6z26WogNlBnZGFXczdKQm8

Market

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2QpS6z26WogaklFbTQ0enV5Mmc

Night

Intermittent streetlights

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2QpS6z26WogUHliSFpFSHRscUE

Brighter streetlights

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2QpS6z26WogbEFDNmlZWjNxNWs

Tailing headlights

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2QpS6z26WogMUI1cXVNbUtVaG8

Market

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2QpS6z26WogcjJ3QVZ0SDBJR00

FOV is a lot narrower than the C2 lens, looks almost equal to what I could see from the A119S when mounted in the rear.

Will add videos with the M1 looking out the front windshield in a few days.

Uuuuu big ass Beemer at the market :p

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
USDashCamera Dash Cam Reviews 7
Back