Mobius ActionCam Wishlist 2015

richcam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
2x0801, 0806 (broken), Mobius 1, Mobius 2, Auto-Vox B60
OK then, the Mobius ActionCam is undoubtedly one of the best cameras on the market, but what improvements or enhancements could be made for the updated model.

My thoughts:

- GPS speed display option, is great to see the speed
- Better battery life
- Smaller body design
- Sharper/less blurred recording of oncoming car number plates when driving
- Pre-record motion detect, as in record 10 or 20 seconds before 'motion detect' is activated, is quite common on domestic and commercial CCTV systems.
- External port or other means to download footage off the Mobius without needing to remove the SD card or the camera from its mount.

Am sure many other users on here will have useful ideas to improve on what is already a well designed product, but the main thing is to provide the manufacturer with a good idea on what existing users would like to change, improve, or add to any existing or updated models.

My wish is simple, get rid of the overlap between clips. There should be no dropout in recording when a new clip is generated and no overlap. Putting clips together is a real pain with the overlap.

I also wish the timelapse would have the option to break it into 3 minute and 5 minute clips. That way I could set-up a Mobius to record my driveway and it would erase the older clips as time went on. Much like it records the current non-time-lapse clips.

It would be great if they could offer the option to increase the resolution of the recorded clip. I could live with a reduced frame rate for the highest resolution as long as it offers a minimum of 10 frames per second. Higher resolution means more detail in the image and the improved detail may catch a plate that can't be read at 1920 x 1080.

OK then, the Mobius ActionCam is undoubtedly one of the best cameras on the market, but what improvements or enhancements could be made for the updated model.

My thoughts:

- GPS speed display option, is great to see the speed
- Better battery life
- Smaller body design
- Sharper/less blurred recording of oncoming car number plates when driving
- Pre-record motion detect, as in record 10 or 20 seconds before 'motion detect' is activated, is quite common on domestic and commercial CCTV systems.
- External port or other means to download footage off the Mobius without needing to remove the SD card or the camera from its mount.

Am sure many other users on here will have useful ideas to improve on what is already a well designed product, but the main thing is to provide the manufacturer with a good idea on what existing users would like to change, improve, or add to any existing or updated models.

The current Mobius comes with an 840mAh battery which provides two hours of recording time. There's probably no other camera on the market this size that will do this. To my mind a camera that performs like this and that will run for two hours on one charge is rather amazing already.

A smaller body design will require an even smaller battery. You just can't have it both ways.

The other wishes will probably require a different DSP.

Last edited:
My wish is simple, get rid of the overlap between clips.

As far as I know if you select .AVI rather than .MOV as the recording file type in the mSetup GUI you will not have any overlap between clips. Perhaps someone else can comment on this? Not sure how this works with MP4.

As far as I know if you select .AVI rather than .MOV as the recording file type in the mSetup GUI you will not have any overlap between clips. Perhaps someone else can comment on this? Not sure how this works with MP4.

I think AVI has some other issues though doesn't it, or is it MP4 that trips up?

I think AVI has some other issues though doesn't it, or is it MP4 that trips up?

Yes, .AVI does have drawbacks but I was trying offer a way for Bob's wish to come true. :) I need to read up again on file types.

Yes, .AVI does have drawbacks but I was trying offer a way for Bob's wish to come true. :) I need to read up again on file types.

I remember one of the formats has some issues, maybe it was sound sync with AVI, can't remember exactly, I'm sure @Isoprop has mentioned previously that MOV was the way to go

I believe .mp4 looses a second or two between clips.
As a result you can't choose mp4 with loop recording turned on.

How about being able to use the same cable to power up the mobius and get video out from it at the same time?

Putting clips together is a real pain with the overlap.
Registrator Viewer has an option to set the overlap time between clips (1050 ms works for Mobius files). This applies to playback, as well as to export the selected segment.

I bought the Mobius (2 of them so far) as a dash cam - but they are so light and portable that their use goes way beyond that.

I would like a Mobius body cam/head cam. I would like to be able to attach the Mobius to my shirt, jacket or backpack strap (magnetic mount, ideally), and also be able to mount the same device to my forehead. The Mobius is so much lighter and compact than a GoPro or other action cams. With an OTG cable and an Android phone, I don't need the screen on a GoPro.

I'm working on a design that will mount a remote Lens on the 2" cable, and allow that lens to rotate up or down around 90 degrees or so. I plan to mount the Mobius vertically. Or if the lens could rotate more - say 140 degrees or so - I could mount the Mobius as a dash cam, and then if I needed to get out of my car I could grab the camera, slap it on my body mount, adjust the camera to point ahead, and then have a body cam (I recently got into a car accident where the post-accident statements are now turning out to matter in the liability investigation. I wish I had the post-accident details on camera).

Also, I'd like a feature where I can use the OTG cable and an Android device to live-view the Mobius so I can adjust the position of the camera during mounting. I'm not sure if that's possible at the moment.

Last edited:
Wouldnt mind an increased frame rate in the understanding that the resolution would have to suffer to obtain this, Perhaps this can be done as a software update for the current model, but the camera module may already be running at its maximum anyway.

I believe .mp4 looses a second or two between clips.
As a result you can't choose mp4 with loop recording turned on.

Strange, whole Panorama series uses MP4 and has the best no-overlap value, no single frame over- or under-lap, just nice and smooth video when joined by RV with overlap value "0".

Registrator Viewer has an option to set the overlap time between clips (1050 ms works for Mobius files). This applies to playback, as well as to export the selected segment.

Using Final Cut on my iMac I can trim any amount I want, it's just a pain to find the matching point.

Using Final Cut on my iMac I can trim any amount I want, it's just a pain to find the matching point.
With Registrator Viewer you don't need to find any matching point, you just select the begining and end of the recording you want to save, it doesn't matter if it's one Mobius clip or more consecutive clips.

yeah you could use Registrator Viewer to delete the overlaps and export as a single file and then use your editor of choice, very simple

Also, I'd like a feature where I can use the OTG cable and an Android device to live-view the Mobius so I can adjust the position of the camera during mounting. I'm not sure if that's possible at the moment.
It's already possible.

Just follow the prompts in the app, which is basically to press the shutter button.

Well Joovuu have announced that they are launching a new dash cam which looks remarkably similar to the Mobius - further information and pics at http://www.x.joovuu.com/ which ought to focus the attention of the Mobius tech team to further improve their product.

Having compared some dash cam footage recorded on the Mobius and the 0806 in normal daylight I would say the 0806 is slightly better, and in low-light or at night time the 0806 is substantially better. What lets the 0806 down is reliability which may well be overcome in newer releases and firmware updates. Having said that, the Mini 0806 costs double the money so ought to be substantially better!

The manufacturer of the Mobius action camera need to lift their game and further improve video quality and other features requested on here.

And talking of requests, please could the Mobius manufacturer selling on Ebay add a 3 metre power cable with a 90 degree connector at the camera end, so that when stuck to a car windscreen, the cable points upwards towards the roof lining. Although the Ebay seller eletoponline365 is selling a 3 metre USB power cable, it has straight connections at both ends. Ought to mention at this point that 2 metre cable is too short.

Last edited:
Back