Mobius and Parking?

M70

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,
Currently looking for two dash cams for the front and rear.

The mobius is at the top of the list due to price and video quality, but i would like to know if it can be modified to record for an hour or so whilst we are parked up and go into the shops?

Just want to make sure we catch any parking damage whilst away from the car.
Thanks.

Yes, using the Motion Detection and the internal battery should give you about an hour. You can improve this by connecting an external battery.

Reactions: M70
You don't need to modify anything on the Mobius or any other dash cam to use if for parking if you use an external battery, as GJHS points out.
If you invest in something like the Anker Astro E5 15,000 mAh Dual USB external battery for about 50 USD (there are other good options for less money) you can run both your front AND rear dash cams when away from your vehicle for many, many hours on a single charge. The one requirement for using such an external battery is that you need to replace the supplied power supply and cable(s) with a USB-A t0 mini-B cable and an appropriate plug in USB adapter.

Whenever, I make a trip to town for shopping, or whatever, I simply plug the cameras into an external USB battery I keep in my vehicle and walk away with a greater sense of security. It can be rather amusing to see how people behave when you are not there.

I've posted these photos before but what the heck, here they are again since they fit the topic so well.

Here is a screen shot from a video taken while I spent an hour at the supermarket and a few other stores.
capped2-jpg.5721

My (stealthified) camera is really pretty well hidden and hard to spot but this guy happened to notice it. :p

fat-guy-noticing.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies.

I didn't really want to mess about with external batteries etc, just want to install and be able to forget about it.

If the Mobius lasts about an hour recording after the ignition is off whilst parked up, that would be fine.

The car they are going into has a rear 12v socket that i think is permanently live and i was thinking about hard wiring the front to either the auto mirror or a perm live.

Would this cause a problem with battery drain? Or anything else? I use the car everyday.

So, will the Mobius carry on recording after leaving the car until the internal battery dies? Is there a setting in the menus for this?

So, will the Mobius carry on recording after leaving the car until the internal battery dies? Is there a setting in the menus for this?
Yes, Motion Detection will record any action that goes on near the car. On low sensitivity it works quite well. High sensitivity goes off too much for my tastes. I have found it records about an hour on a fully charged battery.

The only problem would be turning on/off Motion Detect. You can set it to Medium sensitivity/30 sec delay and leave it on full time. It will record as you drive and should be fine at red lights and traffic. Or if you have an Android phone, you can use it and an OTG cable to both change settings and live view.

Therau2000 has made two apps for Android. One that allow changing settings easily without a computer and the other offers live view and allows you to record on your Android phone/tablet.

http://pages.videotron.com/therau20/nr16/android.html

Back