Mobius as backup / rear view camera?

RPro

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Can the mobius record video to the flash card and simultaneously output video through the A/V breakout cable? If so this would make a great reverse/backup camera! Especially the wide-angle mobius.

Has anyone tried this? I tried googling and I could only find this:

Where are you planning on mounting the Mobius? IMHO it would help but be nowhere near as good as a dedicated reversing cam (waterproof type, externally mounted somewhere near the number plate.) The best you could do with the Mobius is mount it high in the rear window, so you'd still have the boot/ trunk obscuring your view in a normal sedan.

(I've got both a dedicated reversing cam and Mobius A lens mounted in the rear window. The Mobius is limited by the boot blocking the rear view directly behind the vehicle.)

My car is a hatchback so it might work for me. I can test with my RX300 for placement. BTW, with a wiper on the back window at least I won't have to clean the lens all the time before taking a trip. :)

So, do you know if the Mobius can output A/V out at the same time as recording?

Yes, it can, using the A/V cable. Remember that many people use this as their FPV camera.

Ok...and does anyone know where to find any cheap monitors/LCDs to display the live recording?

Thanks GJHS!

BioHazarD: That youtube link I posted has a link to a small LCD monitor on amazon.

Hmmm I just noticed that the Mobius can also be used as a webcam - so, it can record and also send webcam video over USB? That would be interesting if my Android phone (Samsung Galaxy S3) could get a video feed over USB that way in real time.

To partially answer my own question, it does appear that webcam mode is possible on an android phone:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=therau2000.extcammobiusachd

The caveat is that the SD card has to be removed, if the description is to be believed?

I guess would be better just to use regular composite video - less battery drain on my phone, as my phone's circuitry cannot draw more than 1 amp from the USB port, and with the screen at full brightness and bluetooth running, it will still drain!

Hmmm I just noticed that the Mobius can also be used as a webcam - so, it can record and also send webcam video over USB? That would be interesting if my Android phone (Samsung Galaxy S3) could get a video feed over USB that way in real time.
There are hundreds of cheap (startig price ~15$ including free shipping) A/V monitors for sale. Do an eBay search for "tft lcd car monitor" (without quotes ").
You cannot use the USB connection (webcam, external drive) and record at the same time, but the camera was designed for using an external composite monitor at the same time as recording.

BTW, it's possible to enter webcam mode without removing the card, but webcam mode is exclusive and can't be combined with any other functionality.

Thanks - I live in Canada so shipping is usually astronomical (I suspect shipping a dashcam to the ISS is cheaper). :)

There are hundreds of cheap (starting price ~15$ including free shipping) A/V monitors for sale. Do an eBay search for "tft lcd car monitor" (without quotes ").
You cannot use the USB connection (webcam, external drive) and record at the same time, but the camera was designed for using an external composite monitor at the same time as recording.

BTW, it's possible to enter webcam mode without removing the card, but webcam mode is exclusive and can't be combined with any other functionality.

Could the mobius be used as a back up cam and use a av cable into a laptop which could then record video with its own programs?

Is there a way to set up the mobius with a capacitor so it would work a/v out when in reverse and record when not in reverse?

It sounds like using the super cap would make this impossible. Is that correct?

Just get a dedicated reverse camera if that's what you need, the möbius is a great product but it's not going to do what you want

Back