Mobius B-lens better at NIGHT than A-lens ?!, v0.57 no problem for me.

niko

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Dash Cam
Street Guardian UK / EU / EEA Distributor
Spent one evening on recording and second evening on putting files together.

Mobius A-lens vs Mobius B-lens, night video recording.
All settings set according to lens type.
Firmware v0.57 worked fine, no flickering, no stuttering for me despite many other users reported this problem with v0.57. Strange ?!

For me it looks like B-lens are higher quality and capture more low light than A-lens, or "maybe?" it's because they are wider FOV ?
Anyway, overall difference in details capturing / reading / recording is about 20-25% better on B-lens.

Below is result.

AB Mobius.jpg

FOV A-lens vs B-lens

Mobius A vs B v0 (1).jpg

FOV A-lens vs B-lens

Mobius A vs B v0 (2).jpg

Mobius A vs B v0 (3).jpg

Mobius A vs B v0 (4).jpg

Mobius A vs B v0 (5).jpg

Mobius A vs B v0 (6).jpg

Mobius A vs B v0 (7).jpg

Mobius A vs B v0 (8).jpg

Mobius A vs B v0 (9).jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for your efforts!
The images look like B-lens settings have WDR ON :)

It looks like the wide angle lens is a slightly faster lens i.e. has a larger open aperture, so it lets more light in hence the quality improvement. Also because it has a wider field of view the auto exposure is seeing more 'darkness' in the image and ramping the gain up a bit to compensate.

Impressive, THANKS !!!

I assume that the F-Stop for the B-Lens is wider and allows more light in.

Can you buy the Mobius B Lens as yet ?

I keep waiting to see it on SpyTec's web site.... :)

Come on guys, when are you going to start selling it?????

I keep waiting to see it on SpyTec's web site.... :)

Come on guys, when are you going to start selling it?????

Just because something's not listed on a website doesn't mean it's not in stock. I suggest a quick email enquiry to them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks niko, for this excellent comparison.

It makes me even more pleased that I bought the wide angle Mobius in preference to the standard lens model, as I had no expectation of improved low-light performance.

Any prospect of a Mobius (B lens) vs DOD LS300W (or similar) low-light 'rematch'?

Thanks niko, for this excellent comparison.

It makes me even more pleased that I bought the wide angle Mobius in preference to the standard lens model, as I had no expectation of improved low-light performance.

Any prospect of a Mobius (B lens) vs DOD LS300W (or similar) low-light 'rematch'?

Yes, I did actually all 3 dashcam comparison side by side but editing takes soooo much time that at the moment was able to do mobius A vs B. Will try post other test results soon.

Impressive, THANKS !!!

I assume that the F-Stop for the B-Lens is wider and allows more light in.

When get chance I will post properties of both lens taken from KMPlayer and upload raw files for others to inspect.

Certainly a huge difference there at night. Good work on doing the comparison.

I realize this is an old thread but decided on getting a Mobius and trying to decide on which lens to get.

The raw video is no longer available to download to make a realistic comparison, but looking at the still clips of the Taxi, the license plate is completely readable with the A lens but hard to make out that the last digit is a "9" with the B lens. Even when zooming in on the picture with the B lens, it isn't completely clear that it is a "9".

I have seen several comparisons between A and B lens both in wide mode. I have also seen comparisons between B lens in wide mode vs narrow mode.

What I haven't seen is B lens in narrow mode vs A lens in wide mode.

I prefer the A lens in wide mode over the B lens in wide mode, but wonder if I might prefer the B lens in narrow mode the A in wide mode.

Does anyone know of any frame grabs or videos showing this?

I could always by the lens but from what I have seen, the price is half the cost of the camera.

Back