Mobius Battery - Link two 820mah together?

Little Bill

Reaction score
Country
United States
I need my Mobius to run about three hours in a very small space, and think that 1500-1800 total would work. I can see that a second 820mah battery would fit nicely in my tight space, but most other external battery packs will not. I am running the camera lens with a longer ribbon cable, so I could easily run another battery wire into the case. I can see there are other external electronics sealed up with the battery, so I am not sure - Is there a way to tie a second 820ah Mobius battery to the existing 820ah mobius battery? Thanks!

It might work but there's a chance that the charging circuit might not be able to handle the increased load :rolleyes: AFAIK nobody has tried thos approach yet but it could possibly work given how sturdy all points of Mobius design are with this cam. I just wish that design sturdiness extended to all Mobius products :(

Phil

I would not worry about putting extra stress on the Mobius power circuit. The internal charge controller probably limit charging current so with the larger battery it will just take longer to reach full charge (more than 2x the time). Look at the original Mobius, it had a 520mah, the updated one has 820mah, no issues with swapping. Also, going the other way, the supercapacitor has way less energy and all these configuration still work fine.
I found this which is exactly what Bill needs. :)

https://www.eyeofmineactioncameras.com/Mobius_Actioncam_Extended_Life_Battery_p/emeb.htm

I would not worry about putting extra stress on the Mobius power circuit. The internal charge controller probably limit charging current so with the larger battery it will just take longer to reach full charge (more than 2x the time). Look at the original Mobius, it had a 520mah, the updated one has 820mah, no issues with swapping. Also, going the other way, the supercapacitor has way less energy and all these configuration still work fine.
I found this which is exactly what Bill needs. :)

https://www.eyeofmineactioncameras.com/Mobius_Actioncam_Extended_Life_Battery_p/emeb.htm

Twenty dollars for the battery in that link is an out and out rip-off of a price. More importantly, the seller has no idea how the inside of a Mobius is configured or what they are offering as the battery could never fit inside the case because components such as the lens module and ribbon cable would be in the way. A single larger external battery would be a better idea.

EMEB-3.jpg

820mah.jpg

Last edited:
I mean he should use the one from Sparkfun (2000 mah for $12.95) which look to have the proper connector attached, linked in my original thread. The second post was meant to show that someone had already done it as an example. The original poster was going to connect the battery externally so fitting inside the camera is not an issue.

Sorry for the confusion.

These battery packs are "protected" (they have some active circuitry to prevent over charge/discharge). Also, this solutiion would be more efficient than using a separate USB power bank as it would avoid having to convert from 3.7V to 5V (power bank delivers 5V via USB) then back down to what ever Mobius internal is using for the camera circuits.

Yeah, a higher capacity battery should be no problem as the camera will just take as much current as it needs.

The Mobius wouldn't have any particular issues with a 5V power source. If there is enough room for a small power bank, that could be an option here.

I've been a fan of these tiny USB AA chargers which I found at the local Dollar Tree store. I use them for temporary surveillance on my property connected to a Mobius. They are widely available on eBay and elsewhere. These little banks are essentially the same size as a Mobius camera and in conjunction with the internal battery would do what the OP needs. I use them with a super-capacitor powered Mobius and two AAs provide two hours or more of run-time.

charger3.jpg

Mobius&charger.jpg

charger2.jpg

I've run my Mobius on a 2pc USB cable totaling 4.5m with no problems. The cable is small so I'd use a hidden powerbank if possible. If not then Dashmellow's little powerbank should do the trick along with the battery in the cam. Lots of possibilities with the tiny footprint of Mobius :cool:

Phil

I've run my Mobius on a 2pc USB cable totaling 4.5m with no problems. The cable is small so I'd use a hidden powerbank if possible. If not then Dashmellow's little powerbank should do the trick along with the battery in the cam. Lots of possibilities with the tiny footprint of Mobius :cool:

Phil

Those recharchable Ni-MH Panasonic AA Eneloops are rated at 1900 mAh although they somehow don't quite have the oomph of a li-po. Still, not bad for such a little low cost PB. Newer class of Eneloops are rated higher. (2100 mAh)

AA Eneloop Pro are min. 2450 mAh. I use them in my G700 mouse and they last significantly longer than the regular Eneloops.

AA Eneloop Pro are min. 2450 mAh. I use them in my G700 mouse and they last significantly longer than the regular Eneloops.

I had a not so good experience with those. The entire batch I have lost the ability to take or hold a proper charge fairly quickly to the point where my charger now rejects them. I went back to relying on regular Eneloops which seem to keep improving over the years. FWIW, I use a MAHA MH-C9000 Charger-Analyzer which couldn't do much to resurrect them like it does with other Ni-Mh.

It could be that I just got a bad 4 pack of those but it soured me on them. Otherwise, I'm a huge Eneloop fan as I believe them to be the best nickel–metal hydride battery on the market.

Last edited:
Perfect. I had seen the other 1500mah battery that was out of stock. The really small form factor was my pursuit. I will take a pic of my project and post when done.

Good luck with your project!(y)

@Dashmellow. Yeah, you might have indeed gotten a bad batch of the Pro's. Possibly early production quality was not in par with the regular ones which had been on the market longer. My set of 4 Pro's (BK-3HCCA) have been in use since Dec. 2015 and still work. The hungry Logitech G700 mouse eats a cell every couple days (and that is on my work computer, not for gaming ;)). With the regular 1900 mAh Eneloops I had to swap out almost every day. Even though the Pro cells only have ~500 mAh more. Could be due to the mouse's algorithm to handle the cut off voltage.

For the geeks, you can see this very nice site to check out common battery discharge curves:
https://docs.google.com/presentatio...Y5SQ4b-H96XY/edit?usp=sharing_eil&ts=5a5404d0

Good luck with your project!(y)

@Dashmellow. Yeah, you might have indeed gotten a bad batch of the Pro's. Possibly early production quality was not in par with the regular ones which had been on the market longer. My set of 4 Pro's (BK-3HCCA) have been in use since Dec. 2015 and still work. The hungry Logitech G700 mouse eats a cell every couple days (and that is on my work computer, not for gaming ;)). With the regular 1900 mAh Eneloops I had to swap out almost every day. Even though the Pro cells only have ~500 mAh more. Could be due to the mouse's algorithm to handle the cut off voltage.

For the geeks, you can see this very nice site to check out common battery discharge curves:
https://docs.google.com/presentatio...Y5SQ4b-H96XY/edit?usp=sharing_eil&ts=5a5404d0

You may well be right about that as I purchased them not too long after they first went into production back when they were sold under the Sanyo label but were manufactured by Panasonic. As you may know, Panasonic took the Eneloop brand back under their fold. Maybe I'll give them another try next time I'm in the market for new batteries.

Interestingly, the Amazon high capacity AA Ni-MH and Duracell AA 2450 mAh green and copper rechargeables "appear" to actually be Eneloop Pros and manufactured by Panasonic. According to the labels they are manufactured in Japan and the (+) and (-) terminals look absolutely identical if you hold them side by side. I see that the latest version of the Eneloop Pro is 2550 mAh, so perhaps that's how they distinguish themselves and justify the higher price?amazon_ni_mh.jpgduracell.jpg

Last edited:
@Dashmellow. The hungry Logitech G700 mouse eats a cell every couple days (and that is on my work computer, not for gaming ;)). With the regular 1900 mAh Eneloops I had to swap out almost every day. Even though the Pro cells only have ~500 mAh more. Could be due to the mouse's algorithm to handle the cut off voltage.

I use an original Magic Mouse and two 1900mAh Eneloops tend to provide about three weeks of service until they need recharging, which is not bad at all. Oddly, the way it was designed Eneloop Pro batteries will not work in this mouse because the positve terminals don't make contact. It seems the + terminals on the Eneloop Pro (at least the older ones) are slightly shorter than on the regular Eneloops. I probably would never have noticed that if I didn't own this particular mouse. So, both the mouse and the battery have this little design quirk that prevents them from working together.

Last edited:
I use an original Magic Mouse and two 1900mAh Eneloops tend to provide about three weeks of service until they need recharging, which is not bad at all. Oddly, the way it was designed Eneloop Pro batteries will not work in this mouse because the positve terminals don't make contact. It seems the + terminals on the Eneloop Pro (at least the older ones) are slightly shorter than on the regular Eneloops. I probably would never have noticed that if I didn't own this particular mouse. So, both the mouse and the battery have this little design quirk that prevents them form working together.

:LOL:. Well, on the Eneloop Pro I have, it is the negative terminal that is a little shorter than the regular Eneloops.
The G700 mouse uses only 1 AA cell. I have it because of the 7 programmable buttons in addition to the standard 2+wheel.

@Matt. One should use a bit of caution when dealing with lithium batteries. The stock Mobius battery includes active protection circuit to reduce the risks of catastrophic failure due to over charge/discharge. When reclaiming components from larger battery packs, the individual cells may or may not have such protection.

:LOL:. Well, on the Eneloop Pro I have, it is the negative terminal that is a little shorter than the regular Eneloops.
The G700 mouse uses only 1 AA cell. I have it because of the 7 programmable buttons in addition to the standard 2+wheel.

@Matt. One should use a bit of caution when dealing with lithium batteries. The stock Mobius battery includes active protection circuit to reduce the risks of catastrophic failure due to over charge/discharge. When reclaiming components from larger battery packs, the individual cells may or may not have such protection.

One time I used some tiny neodymium magnets on the battery terminals to get the Eneloop Pros to work in my mouse but it wasn't worth the trouble so I went back to the regular Eneloops. I think the negative terminals on mine are the same as the other batteries but now I think I'll go check them. :)

@Matt I was going to mention the same caveat about DIY projects using unprotected 18650 li-ion cells. While I see that the Instructables DIY power bank project does have a protection circuit on the 1A TP4056 module it uses you still need to be really careful with old cells that may already be compromised and at or near end of life. With the low cost of decent commercial power banks these days I prefer sticking with them to avoids risks.

I do have some salvaged unprotected 18650 cells around that I use in a single cell torch where I can easily check the voltage and also not worry about multiple cell interactions.

oh, this came to my mind because I made sort of (spare) powerpack for my FPV goggles. 2x18650 from a dead laptop battery (chose the best ones) in series but with balance charging and charge indicator.

oh, this came to my mind because I made sort of (spare) powerpack for my FPV goggles. 2x18650 from a dead laptop battery (chose the best ones) in series but with balance charging and charge indicator.

Yikes! I think the last place I would install used, unprotected 18650 cells would be in a device that is worn right in front of my eyes! :arghh:

I think for FPV goggles I would opt for brand new high quality name brand cells like maybe the protected Panasonic NCR-18650B and leave the unprotected used batteries for some other device where they wouldn't cause a catastrophic injury if something went wrong, even if the chances of that happening seem remote.

Back