Mobius cameras fail to save video before switching off

• Thread starter Deleted member 37895
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 37895

I've had 5 Mobius cameras and 3 of them have done this. Both timelapse and video mode. The last video just doesn't get saved when the unit turns itself off upon USB power disconnect. The only similar experiences I can find are related to the camera being used on a drone and the SD card popping out when it crashes. Is this common but just going unnoticed?

Another similar issue that they exhibit is when the shutter button is pressed to stop recording, the camera freezes and the last video isn't saved

Last edited by a moderator:
I've owned more than seven Mobius cameras and have never experienced this problem. Sounds like a battery or capacitor issue or user error.

Are you using them with batteries? If so, probably time to replace them. Could also be a faulty capacitor (if being used), still 3 of them with capacitors doing this, don't think so.

Are you using them with batteries? If so, probably time to replace them. Could also be a faulty capacitor (if being used), still 3 of them with capacitors doing this, don't think so.

I have one camera with a capacitor and it works fine. I've tried a capacitor in another one and it would fail to save which I figured meant the cap was faulty so I switched it back to battery. The 3 cameras that have failed to save have all had good batteries that would run them for over an hour. They should definitely be able to save a file in a few microseconds after losing USB power

I have one camera with a capacitor and it works fine. I've tried a capacitor in another one and it would fail to save which I figured meant the cap was faulty so I switched it back to battery. The 3 cameras that have failed to save have all had good batteries that would run them for over an hour. They should definitely be able to save a file in a few microseconds after losing USB power

That's odd. If you haven't already, try resetting the faulty ones and reload the firmware.

Post resetting if the behaviour doesn't change, I'd be inclined to recheck all three with the capacitor that works fine.

What are your Power-off Disconnect and Power-off Standby settings?

Like the others I would have thought it was a battery / capacitor issue, until you mentioned that the batteries will run for an hour or so.

You said that the cameras freeze when you stop recording manually. Can you describe a bit more what happens? Do they turn off, or just become unresponsive? The firmware might be stuck in some kind of loop, which can happen in odd circumstances. Try the reset button and test again. Then reload the firmware and test again.

What are your Power-off Disconnect and Power-off Standby settings?

This has happened with settings to both stop recording and save immediately, and 30 second delay.

It has also happened with running on battery for 30 minutes and then stopping recording manually with the shutter button

Like the others I would have thought it was a battery / capacitor issue, until you mentioned that the batteries will run for an hour or so.

You said that the cameras freeze when you stop recording manually. Can you describe a bit more what happens? Do they turn off, or just become unresponsive? The firmware might be stuck in some kind of loop, which can happen in odd circumstances. Try the reset button and test again. Then reload the firmware and test again.

The red light turns steady as it should, but the camera refuses to turn off. The first time it happened I just waited for the battery to run down and then checked the SD card. After that on subsequent freezings I did a hard reset using the little pinhole

If resetting didn't work, only option is to reload the firmware and set them up from scratch and see if the behaviour changes.

If resetting didn't work, only option is to reload the firmware and set them up from scratch and see if the behaviour changes.

Resetting does work to reset the camera, but the last file doesn't exist. I have recovered the files from the raw data on them microSD, so the data is there but the file isn't closed properly

if something's corrupt it should put things straight

I forgot to report back. I reflashed the firmware on the cameras with the Msetup program and they now work fine. I guess somehow the firmware gets corrupted at the factory?

I forgot to report back. I reflashed the firmware on the cameras with the Msetup program and they now work fine. I guess somehow the firmware gets corrupted at the factory?
I doubt the firmware was corrupt from the factory. Anyway - I'm glad reloading the firmware fixed the problem.

I'm having the same problem of the last file not being saved. I'm using a capacitor. So how do I reload the firmware?

I'm using this on my motorcycle and if someone runs over me I would like the video to see if its my fault or not. Yesterday a friend I was riding with got knocked off his bike by a dog and I was very disappointed that I lost the video with I shut the bike off.

FW update as per GUI software
"
Firmware Update
New firmware versions usually correct issues found in previous versions but often provide new functionality which was not previously available. It is good practice to keep your camera updated with the latest firmware version. You can upgrade or downgrade your firmware as often as you wish. Both procedures are identical and are referred to as 'updating' in this manual.

The latest firmware version can be downloaded and installed directly from the setup program or installed manually by downloading the firmware file from http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=25170908&postcount=3.

Updating the firmware is an easy and safe process, but you should take note that it is not possible to update the firmware using SD cards with a capacity greater than 32GB unless they are formatted to FAT32. The firmware update routine is a low-level routine called before the exFAT file system is loaded. The low-level routine only supports the FAT32 file system.

Automatic Firmware Update

Use mSetup (Tools) to automatically update the firmware. This is by far the easiest method.

Manual Firmware Update

DO NOT PRESS ANY BUTTONS during the firmware update process.

There are two methods with which you can update the firmware.

Method 1 without pressing any buttons:

• Turn off the camera.
  • Connect the camera to the computer and wait until the card is recognized as a Removable Drive.
  • Copy the new firmware file into the camera's flash card root folder. All firmware files are named FWTLCAM.BIN. The name must not be changed.
  • Disconnect the camera from the computer and wait until it turns off.
  • Wait until all the LEDs are turned off.
  • Connect the camera to the PC. The blue LED will turn on for about 13 seconds and then begin to flash. WAIT.
  • After another 7 seconds the blue LED will turn off. WAIT.
  • After a second or two the yellow LED will turn on. WAIT
  • The firmware file will be automatically deleted.
  • The camera will automatically be connected as a removable device.
  • After about 4 seconds the process is complete and the yellow LED will turn off.
  • The camera is now ready for use as a USB drive.

Method 2 by pressing the power button :

• Turn off the camera.
  • Connect the camera to the computer and wait until the card is recognized as a Removable Drive.
  • Copy the new firmware file into the camera's flash card root folder. All firmware files are named FWTLCAM.BIN. The name must not be changed.
  • Disconnect the camera from the computer and wait until it turns off.
  • Wait until all the LEDs are turned off.
  • Turn on the camera and WAIT.
  • The blue LED will turn on for about 13 seconds and then begin to flash. WAIT.
  • After another 7 seconds the blue LED will turn off. WAIT.
  • After a second or two the yellow LED will turn on indicating the firmware file has been automatically deleted.
  • The camera is now in standby mode and ready for use."
You can probably find some how to videos on the matter on youtube too.

I still have the problem and my firmware is 2.41 2015/09/24
Is that the latest software?

Back