Mobius dashcam recordings damaged

JBR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm new here so please bear with me.
I have Mobius cameras fitted front and back in my car. I have just removed them to change the date from BST to GMT. The front camera is fine, but the back one lost its date and reverted to 2012. I have now corrected that which seems to have been due to a lack of power for some time to the supercapacitor.
However, having now checked it after a drive, although the date and time is now correct, at a point during the journey an error seems to have occurred when I viewed the recording. At a certain point about half-way through the recording the picture began to break up and was replaced by flashing lights with horizontal fine lines across the whole image. A true image was restored many times for a fraction of a second throughout the recording, but was immediately followed by the flashing lines.
Upon returning home, however, the final image whilst we were putting the car away was fine.
I hope someone might have an idea what might be the cause. Could this have been an intermittent poor connection, perhaps?
I'd like to attach an example as a file, but I'm not sure how to extract a MOV file from the camera recordings.
Many thanks for reading this and I'd be grateful for any advice.
EDIT: I have managed to extract part of a recording and saved as an mp4 file. Unfortunately, I cannot post that on here. Is there any way around this, please?

Last edited:
Could be a loose sensor cable or the sensor module may need to be replaced. Take it apart and reseat the ribbon cable between the mainboard and the sensor module.

This site like most dont accept any big photo or video files, so to share most of use youtube as you can embed that directly by just posting the address of the video.
You can also share the RAW footage as a download, this can be done with google drive or other file hosting options ( Microsoft also have something )
If you dont want to share with the world via youtube you can select the video to be private, so only people you share the video link with can see it,,,,,, that in some sense are also the world if you post it here, but far less people come here VS on youtube.

The camera using default date/time are often a power related thing, if your cameras are with battery, that might be a option, if your cameras are with capacitors ( which they should be if you use them as dashcams )
Then the problem might be the capacitors or the little RCT battery on the PCB that do time keeping when off.

The supercaps should charge up quickly but the RTC battery may take an hour or so if it's not gone bad. Check your powering scheme wiggling the USB connectors a bit, and insert/remove the sd card a few times as a way to clean all the contacts a little then try again. If it's still acting up reseat the ribbon cable to the CMOS as Harsh suggested. Files are saved in order accorduing to date and time, so overwriting old files can stop if there's a time/date issue. That's almost always a RTC battery problem on non-GPS cams.

Phil

Thank you all for your suggestions.
I think I'll try the easy options first: checking the external connections (USB cable) and then the SD card. If internal connections need re-seating, I'm happy to do that, but I'm not sure about the 'RTC battery'. If that is a component soldered on to the PCB, I don't think I'll mess with that as I'd probably make things worse. If necessary, it would be easier (though not cheaper!) to buy a new camera.
I shall be happy to come back with further findings. Thanks again.

I have now followed the suggestion of posting a clip on to YouTube. Please have a look here:

Taking the mobius apart to look for a swollen battery ( fire danger ) and a dislodged connector between the main PCB and the sensor PCB are easy, just a couple of Phillips head screws as i recall.
This video pretty much cover everything you need to look at.

Thanks Kamkar. That's a very interesting video, though I don't think I'd want to have the lens unit outside of the camera in that way. The thing is already nice and small as it is.
I have actually opened my first Mobius dashcam when I first got it to replace the battery with a supercapacitor (my second one came with the capacitor fitted), so I'm happy to play around with what's inside. I must confess that I cannot see the RTC battery, mentioned earlier, on that circuit board. I assume it would be very fiddly to de-solder and replace, should that be necessary.

The supercaps should charge up quickly but the RTC battery may take an hour or so if it's not gone bad. Check your powering scheme wiggling the USB connectors a bit, and insert/remove the sd card a few times as a way to clean all the contacts a little then try again. If it's still acting up reseat the ribbon cable to the CMOS as Harsh suggested. Files are saved in order accorduing to date and time, so overwriting old files can stop if there's a time/date issue. That's almost always a RTC battery problem on non-GPS cams.

Phil
no RTC battery in a Mobius

Ah, that answers that question then! Thanks jokiin.

Been too long without using mine, maybe two years or more....

Phil

No of course not, the video was just in general as to what you can expect to find inside, and how to work with a thing like the little flex cable.
The vidoe are really about putting in the lens extension, something not many dashcam guys have done, but probably a lot more RC people

Phil

Mobius cameras don't have a RTC battery.

Edit: Oh, I see @jokiin already mentioned this.

The wife has just returned from her singing lesson, so I took the opportunity to take out the camera to see if it worked properly now during her journey.
Yes! It did. Excellent. It must have been just a loose external (USB) connection, as I haven't changed anything else. No sign of the problem at all.
I'd like to thank everyone here who offered their helpful suggestions. Perhaps one day I might be able to do the same in some way(?).

Back