Mobius DIY built-in into rear centre brake light

You have a point but there are many differences between mobius and #16 ( optics, cmos sensor, colour settings / filters, wdr etc ).
I have tested Albatross2 at night mounted 1.5cm from rear centre brake light and all worked fine.

http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/complete-review-of-urive-albatross-ii-md-7500p-1080p-720p.3030/

If positioned as in my post #3, then also it worked fine.

I have more hopes for B lens, because they extend about 5mm, maybe this also can help.

Of course 100% confirmation can be only after built in test.

I also was thinking about fake rear barake light but for sure not moving hidden dashcam to the bottom, it will have small vertical view ( my car has bonnet ), if hatchback then its fine.
Better to disconnect leds from main top brake light where camera will be built in and add fully working brake to the bottom.

Also i was thinking to disconnect 1/3 of centre leds in the main brake light, this way there will not be colour problems in mobius recordings at night and i keep oem look of brake light without need to add adfitional "fake" brake light.
I think this last option is more suitable for me.

If positioned as in my post #3, then also it worked fine.
Did you try it also during the night? If not, I can test it tonight, but I don't think it would be a good long run solution as the camera would sit under direct sun all day long.

Did you try it also during the night? If not, I can test it tonight, but I don't think it would be a good long run solution as the camera would sit under direct sun all day long.

I tried at night mounted like in my post #3, no problem, same nice quality as Albatross2 rear camera tests mounted in same place, but because in some stage I want to tint my car rear window ( only leav untinted brake light part for hidden camera ) then I agree with you, on hot summer days it might not be a good idea using battery operated mobius. Can do DIY capacitor like @Mtz and @Isoprop posted in other thread, but FW is not ready for capacitor based mobius. So I will wait until mobius with supercap will be released along with compatible FW.

I tried at night mounted like in my post #3, no problem, same nice quality as Albatross2 rear camera tests mounted in same place, but because in some stage I want to tint my car rear window ( only leav untinted brake light part for hidden camera ) then I agree with you, on hot summer days it might not be a good idea using battery operated mobius. Can do DIY capacitor like @Mtz and @Isoprop posted in other thread, but FW is not ready for capacitor based mobius. So I will wait until mobius with supercap will be released along with compatible FW.
All of the recent FW versions support the supercap.

All of the recent FW versions support the supercap.

Thanks for confirming. I didnt had time to read in more details about latest v.059 (v3), but i am sure info written on RCgroups forum.

I'm thinking about doing something similar. Buying some sort 3rd brake light housing since my car does not have a window unit, it has a trunk mounted brake light. I'll drill a hole for a camera lense.

2nuu23b.jpg

219nbs5.jpg

2lbzui1.jpg

15hbiv5.jpg

I'm thinking about doing something similar. Buying some sort 3rd brake light housing since my car does not have a window unit, it has a trunk mounted brake light. I'll drill a hole for a camera lense.

2nuu23b.jpg

219nbs5.jpg

2lbzui1.jpg

15hbiv5.jpg

2nuu23b.jpg

219nbs5.jpg

2lbzui1.jpg

15hbiv5.jpg

Thats a good idea to buy an additional brake light. i can see that in your car rear windowns heating elements are "missing" from centre upper part, so it will be good place to fit it. I would also tint additional read brake light, so lens surrounding and lens itself will blend in with tinted ( darker colour ) brake light area than with if its fully red, ( then it still noticeable "dot" ).

The last photo is not my car. It is a generic image of a car with a 3rd brake light. Maybe I can get a polarizing tint glass and it will act as a double due of concealment and polarizing filter for camera lense. I have no window tint so I do want to conceal this as much as possible. I don't think people mind it as much if you have a front facing camera, but they would probably get angry if you are recording their face while they are picking their nose or putting on make up in the morning.

I was also thinking of adding a middle headrest and putting a camera in there. Or maybe even just a small hump on the rear interior deck.

Looks good! If you have the skills time and energy, do it the hard way, 1'st option of course! (fully stealth/discrete) Any of the other options seem fine if you don't want to go the extra mile.

I'm going to stay on a singled fromt camera system until the new A7L-A based Dual Camera's come out.
http://www.ambarella.com/products/autom ... tions.html

Only then will I look at rear options like you have.
FORTH idea is most easiest. Use 3M ( double-side tape ) to mount Mobius at the rear centre of windows. Run power cable under ceiling liner to closest power source ( hard-wire to interior rear side reading lights )
The only draw-back with this installation is if your car has tinted rear windows. This will reduce a video quality of dash camera. Therefore you might consider DIY built-in camera into rear centre brake light ( above ideas )

View attachment 1317

Below you can see RED LED light on the Mobius that can be seen from rear-view mirror to check status of the camera.

View attachment 1310

@niko , since using mobius extension AV cable...are the mobius still can Auto Rec when power on ?

Regards,

@niko , since using mobius extension AV cable...are the mobius still can Auto Rec when power on ?

Regards,

I was using separate AV cable just for aiming.
With standard cable there is no option to auto-rec at the same time with AV, but this cable can be done DIY.

Thanks for reply niko , that mean the pin 5 (ground) must not conected with pin 4 on the micro usb when we want to get auto REC ?

Thanks for reply niko , that mean the pin 5 (ground) must not conected with pin 4 on the micro usb when we want to get auto REC ?

Not sure what you mean.
Do you want to have auto-rec start and at the sane time have AV out to connect to external LCD screen aux-in, right ?

@niko ,yes..thats what i mean..n sorry for my poor english..:)

@niko ,yes..thats what i mean..n sorry for my poor english..:)

No worries. My technical english is also not up to standard ;)

There was a post from @Isoprop somewhere about how-to DIY existing Mobius AV cable into so called all-in-one cable like you need, but I dont remembet where this post.

thank you @niko , i'll try to find the post

Regards,
fedri

I'm sad... I finally decided to mount a Mobius with A lens in the rear center brake light housing, but the results are not good in my case. The housing is very wide and because of the window I can't place the lens close to the edge, so I tried these positions:
1 - lens on the lamp
2 - in the middle, as close to the window as possible
3 - same as 2 but a little bit to the right
cover.jpg

The field of view is croped at the bottom because of the housing.
Position 1:
pos 1.jpg (housing not mounted, would be just under the thick black line, the other car is at about half a meter from mine)
Position 2:
pos 2.jpg
View (from front Mobius B) of the area not covered in the picture above:
pos 2 front.jpg
Position 3:
pos 3.jpg (the other car is at about 1 meter from mine)

So I guess I'll gave up this idea and put the lens just under the brake housing.

I'm sad... I finally decided to mount a Mobius with A lens in the rear center brake light housing, but the results are not good in my case. The housing is very wide and because of the window I can't place the lens close to the edge, so I tried these positions:
1 - lens on the lamp
2 - in the middle, as close to the window as possible
3 - same as 2 but a little bit to the right
View attachment 9440

The field of view is croped at the bottom because of the housing.
Position 1:
View attachment 9441 (housing not mounted, would be just under the thick black line, the other car is at about half a meter from mine)
Position 2:
View attachment 9442
View (from front Mobius B) of the area not covered in the picture above:
View attachment 9443
Position 3:
View attachment 9444 (the other car is at about 1 meter from mine)

So I guess I'll gave up this idea and put the lens just under the brake housing.
Maybe you can find some ideas from my other DIY project:

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...-custom-made-set-up-for-vw-passat-b6-3c.7791/

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I was thinking of something to mask the lens/camera, but the housing is not black on the exterior, it's the same colour (kind of gray) as the other half pictured above... :(

Looks like BLANCHARDSTOWN shopping centre. I am only up the rd.

Back