Mobius inside enclosed space

MrCurry

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Dash Cam
Mobius
Hi all. I've installed my Mobius with lens extension cable with the lens stuck to the back of the rearview mirror and the main camera within the little sunglasses hatch on the ceiling of my Audi A4. I'm just fretting a bit over whether it'll overheat in an enclosed space like this (bearing in mind how hot car roofs can get in the summer).

Has anyone tried this and is there generic advice for optimising the cooling of a Mobius in a warm environment? I wondered about taking the pcb out of the case but then I guess the chips won't have the heat sink on them, so maybe that's worse?

Thanks all

Do you leave it running all the time, when parked?

The mobius gets warm as it is. I'd switch the the capacitor.

FWIW, I just did this on 1.5 year old mobius, need to post a pic of the puffed out OEM battery.
:)

Hi, I'm using battery at present but maybe I should take your advice and invest in a capacitor. The price of the capacitors sold as möbius accessories is surprising to me, is there something special about them as most caps are 20p or less each. Does anyone know the capacity and rating of the capacitors sold as "super capacitors" for möbius.?

Just had a look and they are 2.7V 5F super caps soldered onto a 4 point pcb. You can buy them lower cost and make up your own pair, but I would be worried about cheaply made copies:

Last edited:
IMG_20150606_124142(1).jpg

There's the puffy OEM battery, and the aftermarket super cap, ready to go in.

Wow that's a sick looking battery! Scary stuff if it ruptured as I hear they have a habit of spitting flames and starting fires.

Thanks for the info Alan, I'm surprised they are rated to only 2.7V as they surely must get charged to 4.2V in the camera as that's the voltage of a fully charged single cell lipo. But I guess you don't get 5 farads of capacitance in such a small space without some quite thin electrode material.

The aliexpress link is amazingly cheap, I guess it will take a long time to show up but I'll order one as it will be better for my camera in the medium to long term.

Thanks for your help everyone :)

I don't want to burst it open, but I'm fairly sure the wiring/pcb will be in series to give 5.4v

Back