Mobius is not recognized

Necromancer

Reaction score
Country
Israel
Bad news my friends.
So i finally took the mobius out of the car to update it to the latest firmware, but as i plug in the usb nothing happens.
I tried diffrenet USB cables, including the one that came with the mobius and worked in the past. I tried two different computers.
Same result.

I then used a card reader to read the SD card, the card is fine, and even has all the footage, including footage from last night. I dropped the firmware file on the SD, put it back in and updated the camera, but that did't help either.
I then tried to hold the reset button for 10 secs, same result.

Its like the mobius doen't recognize its plugged in. It turns off while connected.

When i say the pc doesn't recognize it, i mean its not recognized in the Device Manager.

I'd try disconnecting the battery, but i don't have a screw driver that small right now.
Any other suggestions i can try in the meantime?

Bad news my friends.
So i finally took the mobius out of the car to update it to the latest firmware, but as i plug in the usb nothing happens.
I tried diffrenet USB cables, including the one that came with the mobius and worked in the past. I tried two different computers.
Same result.

I then used a card reader to read the SD card, the card is fine, and even has all the footage, including footage from last night. I dropped the firmware file on the SD, put it back in and updated the camera, but that did't help either.
I then tried to hold the reset button for 10 secs, same result.

Its like the mobius doen't recognize its plugged in. It turns off while connected.

When i say the pc doesn't recognize it, i mean its not recognized in the Device Manager.

I'd try disconnecting the battery, but i don't have a screw driver that small right now.
Any other suggestions i can try in the meantime?
I suppose something on the camera's USB side could be locked up and disconnecting the battery could solve the problem, but all problems reported so far have been solved by using another PC or cable. Ignoring the guy who tried to power his camera using the data pins, of course!
The most, most, most common problem is a flaky cable or corrupted USB drivers. I've had USB driver issues more times than I can count and it can get very frustrating at times! The drivers can get so messed up that you need to re-install Windows or restore a backup image (if you have one).
What I've found sometimes works really well, at least under Windows 7, is to connect the camera to the pc when the PC is turned off. Than, after you turn on the PC, the camera is magically found! This obviously won't help if you have a bad cable.
There's also a freeware program that will clean all the USB history, but I don't remember the name out of my head. It was very useful when I was programming for the #3 Sunplus chips, but I haven't used it recently.
A problem at the camera end is very remote, but obviously can't be ruled out. I take it you have tried different ports and are always connecting the camera directly to the PC(s)?
Have you tried webcam mode, i.e. without a card inserted? A new composite device should show up in device manager.

Yeah i tried plugging it in without an SD, but wasn't sure if it should pop something up or not. Either way it didn't.

I know my pc inside out so i doubt its a problem on that end. But even if its so, why the camera turns off if it recognizes USB connection via the data pins?
Thats what makes me think its a problem on the camera's end. It doens't power up when plugged in, although i don't remember if it supposed to or not.
I tried plugging it in when the yellow led is on, but then it just turns off after a while.
Basically it doesn't respond to the cable being plugged at all. Not power wise and not data wise.
But then it did power up from the car, so the USB connector is not totaly broken.

I thought it was the cable at first, but then i tried 3 more cables that work with other devices, including the cable that came with the mobius... its really not that likely they all gone bad.

I guess i'll need to find a screw driver and see if that helps. I'll Also try to plug it in when the pc is off and then power the pcup when i get back home. Im skeptical but everything worth a try. Just onr question - do i need to turn on the camera manually, or it supposed to power up automatically when it recognizes the connection?

My monitor has a couple of usb ports, so is in effect a usb hub. My Mobius wouldn't be recognised until I used a usb port in the back of the desktop computer. Hubs don't always carry enough power for things like this.

I tried both front and back ports. Directly to the pc, no hubs.

My Mobius has the same problem. The USB connection is not recognized by the Camera,
and it is no longer charging from the cable. I have tried 3 different cables same results.
I have only had this camera for a few weeks (and it did work great)
It is not looking promising.

Did you try plugging it in while the computer is off and then starting the computer. From other similar situations this seems to work?

Does it charge from another usb source, the cigarette lighter or USB battery?

...... Just onr question - do i need to turn on the camera manually, or it supposed to power up automatically when it recognizes the connection?
When you connect your camera to the PC it should turn on (blue LED) and then connect as a removable drive (yellow LED). The yellow LED may turn off after a while. You do not need to manually turn the camera on.
I'm hoping your camera doesn't have a defect, but it is strange that two people now have the same problem.

Did you try plugging it in while the computer is off and then starting the computer. From other similar situations this seems to work?

---No change tried with xp,win 7 and Ubuntu system

---No I have tried multiple power sources and different cables no luck
--- I even tried disconnecting battery and powering off USB cable No luck

When you connect your camera to the PC it should turn on (blue LED) and then connect as a removable drive (yellow LED). The yellow LED may turn off after a while. You do not need to manually turn the camera on.
I'm hoping your camera doesn't have a defect, but it is strange that two people now have the same problem.
--- It worked like that for a few weeks now when I plug it in nothing happens.
--I can still turn it on manually and it does record,but when the battery runs out I will be out of options.

--I'm starting to think the USB connector or circuit board is Defective

Update
Yes the Micro USB connector on the board is defective.
I verified this by disconnecting the battery on the Mobius and then
cutting a spare USB cable and touching the RED (Power )Wire to the number one pin between the
the USB connector and the circuit board and then the black (ground) to the number 5 pin.
Success she powered up :)

I bent the 3 prongs down on the top of the micro connector just a little to snug it up
but it wasn't enough so I then slid a small piece of staple into the small holes #1 and # 5
"wire connectors in the micro USB" .
One accepted it the other split a little but held. Meaning the staples are a little too big.
This May not be pretty, but it powers up and is charging and running again.
My PC still can't recognize the connection , but I don't want to insert any more staples.
I will always have to use a micro card reader to access the Videos.
Many thanks to rcgroups.com
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1904559

My 2 Cents
It might be nice if there was a small support coming off the base mounting plate to secure the micro usb connection.
To stop it from wiggling on bumpy roads, which can damage the micro USB connector.

Shipslayer

Last edited:
Update:
opened it up and took the battery out.
tried to plug it in the computer without the battery and without the SD card, did not work.
plugged the battery back, closed the camera.
turned off the computer, plugged the camera, turned PC on, same result.
tried plugging the camera to the USB cable in my car, to see if it would power up, nope.

The camera itself works though. it powers up if i press the power button, records, all the LEDS are blinking as intended, i can take out the SD card and see all the recordings.
its either the plug, that looks fine to me, or the circuit i guess.

Had similar problems as Necromancer with my brand new Mobius on a Win 7/64 machine. PC wont recognize, setup program wont recognize. Tried the boot with it connected and it was recognized by the PC but when clicked or just highlighted in explorer, explorer would crash. Mobius setup gui would not even launch completely until the mobius was unplugged.

Luckily I have quite a few machines running different OS's so I plugged it in to a windows XP machine...everything works fine!

Conclusion. Update Mobo, etc if you have problems with win 7 or use XP. I'll be using XP until I have the time to check what needs updating.

Your conclusion will vary but making sure everything is up-to-date was key for me.

Last edited:
I run Windows 7 Pro as a virtual machine on a Mac and have never had any problems recognizing the Mobius. I can even reboot the camera back and forth between the two OSes with ease. Go figure?

The only problem I have is that mSetup will not grab and load the firmware updates off the network which I understand is to be expected in such as set-up, so this is the reason for moving the camera back to the Mac side when necessary to load firmware before then returning it to Windows for the GUI configuration.

Update:

Assuming you have read the FAQ and ARE NOT USING A HUB and tried another USB cable that defiantly works...

Windows 7 usb mobius fix:

Download USBoblivion
this program will erase all usb traces from registry (the program will backup reg just in case -- backup found in My Documents). You have to check the "Do a real clean box" as it defaults to a simulation.

Go to Device Manager and delete all universal host controllers leaving the one connected to mouse for last.

Reboot.

When windows comes up and say found/installing hardware plug in mobius. You may have a long list so just be patient and it may take sometime till you can use your mouse again.

Eventually it should say driver C-DDTEKM obius Disk Drive and then Installed.

Wait for all your USB components to be found and installed.

You will probably have to reboot for some of them so when all are installed do a reboot.

Now your mobius should work correctly.

Remember, this is a Windows 7 issue, NOT a mobius issue.

IMPORTANT: Be sure to check your USB device letters and make sure they are the same, if not change them. You may wish to write them down before you do any of this. For many people having the same device letters may be unimportant and you can continue on your way, nothing to see here. For those of us that utilize automatic backup programs having the correct drive letters is of vital importance. Check and re-check, and then check again against your backup software. Trust me, a mistake like this you will never make again.

Last edited:
The Mobius action cam is great. I'm excited. But since yesterday it has the same error: It is not recognized by the PC, when I connect via USB. The compound has all the time works fine.

To solve the problem I have tried many things with different PC's with different operating systems (Win 7, Win 8.1) and even an Apple Mac. I tried using the SD card and without an SD card to connect. Not a chance. The SD card is not defective, because that is recognized on an SD card adapter and I can access them.

I assume that the camera has an error. I can no longer update the firmware because the camera is no longer recognized by the sofware. (I have Firmware 1.20 installed; was perfectly with this firmware.)

What to do now?

In my case i think the USB port got damaged.
eletoponline365 was kind enough to replace it.

As Necromancer said, try a different cable and connect the Mobius before starting the computer. Defective cables are the biggest cause of problems when connecting the Mobius to a computer.

If all else fails, try using DriveCleanup.exe, which a free program that fixes USB problems by cleaning out old connections, etc

I've tried everything (new cable, different PC´s <Win7, 8.1, XP - even OS X 10.9.2>, DriveCleanUp.exe, with connecting the Mobius before starting the computer.....). Unfortunately, without success. I suspect that the hardware is damaged.

A question about USB Port: Do you think that a solder joint is broken? Should I try to solder the existing USB port or should I replace the entire USB port?

I've tried everything (new cable, different PC´s <Win7, 8.1, XP - even OS X 10.9.2>, DriveCleanUp.exe, with connecting the Mobius before starting the computer.....). Unfortunately, without success. I suspect that the hardware is damaged.

A question about USB Port: Do you think that a solder joint is broken? Should I try to solder the existing USB port or should I replace the entire USB port?
The USB port from the DSP goes thru a USB DPDT switch. The switch could be damaged but it can't be replaced without the proper equipment. The 7222, most likely an NLAS7222A, has 10 solder connections on the underside of the chip which means you would need a hot-air soldering gun as a minimum. I very much doubt there's a broken solder joint, a blown switch is more likely. Have a look at the size of the switch which is soldered on the opposite side of the USB connector, second row on the left side of the connector, and see if you still think you could tackle the job. ;)

Back