Mobius lens extension

MrFluff

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Quick questions I can't seem to find info on elsewhere regarding the Mobius and the extension lens.

Is there any change in quality while using the extension cable?

I can't seem to find an extension that is more than 8 inches for the Mobius whereas the keyfob camera had a 25 inches extension I found elsewhere. I know the two are not compatible as the Mobius has two extra wires but in that case.... could I buy 2 Mobius cables of 8 inches and "daisy chain" them together?

The connector that comes with the extension looks like I could plug a wire another extension on the other side. If it is possible and I don't that, could I add 2-3 cables? I'd be looking for 16-24 inches extension. And would there be any loss in quality?

I am also interested in longer extension cable.

Tom Frank said somewhere that 8" is the maximum supported by the Mobius because of higher bitrate comparing to 808#16 which works just fine with a 25" extension cable. For the 808#16 I tried to daisy chain two cables of 8" and 25" and it's still working, but when there is more movement in the picture all kind of colored horizontal stripes appear in the picture. I didn't save any file but you can see a similar result here.

I guess that answers it.

One last question about the extension then.. I've read a couple post that say bending the wire will cause damage to it?
Is this true? or can I wrap it under somewhere? dos and donts on it?

I guess that answers it.

One last question about the extension then.. I've read a couple post that say bending the wire will cause damage to it?
Is this true? or can I wrap it under somewhere? dos and donts on it?

I guess if you "bend" it gently few times there will not be a problem, but for longer run it is not recommended "bending" on the daily basis.

I have the 8 inch extension.

As long as you dont twist and bend the connectors, the nylon-like cable in the middle is covered in a protective housing. I've moved the cable to get it in position. I only needed 3 inches, so had a fair bit left over, so ended up curling it up into a neat coil. Seems pretty stable to me.

Used it on my old first Mobius and it works like a charm. Bit of a fiddle to plug in, but got there in the end. :) Highly recommended. No degrading in picture.

I feel the 2 inch cable looks less protected (see picture) and would be more nervous catching a wire by accident whilst installing.

Got mine from Joovuu in the UK. Also bought a B lens Mobi and am loving that one too.

Im sure Dan wont mind me pinching his pictures from his website, I am after all saying good things about the cable. :cool:
Thanks Jim!

Couple questions:
- How big are these connectors exactly? knowing the mobius they can't be too big but when I look at pictures of the cable, they look like an inch wide or something...
- Any idea if I could just put electrical wire on it or heat shrink wire wrap to protect it from elements without damaging/impacting the cable?

I currently looking at the mobius and this is one of the features that sold me, but I was looking at it and would like to see some pictures of how you guys/gals mounted the lens. I'm in love with this small enough to leave in my car and not worry about someone trying to breaking in to steal.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

...I would like to see some pictures of how you guys/gals mounted the lens.

I doubt that more than one or two people have used the extension cable in their Möbius installation. The maximum cable length is 8 inches, any longer resulting in signal degradation. This is too short to be really useful in a dashcam application.

People typically choose to install the camera at the top of the windscreen. This generally leaves nowhere within reach of an 8" cable to hide the camera body ... at least not in my car.

The practical approach is to omit the extension cable, and mount the camera between the windscreen and the rear view mirror. If the rearview mirror is the same colour as the camera, then the minuscule Mobius is virtually invisible from outside.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
This is too short to be really useful in a dashcam application.
Hey Russ
Forgive me for thinking out loud; couldn't you mount the lens inside the rear view mirror and then mount the box on the headliner. This way the lens would be flush with the back of the mirror and the box would look like a simple garage door opener. The 8 inch cable should be enough.
This is one option, I am going to look at when my camera comes. My car is basic, so there are no electronics inside the mirror housing

It's an interesting concept that's complicated by practical issues. Here's a photo of a lens module...

http://joovuu.com/home/86-mobius-wide-angle-lens-module.html

Installing it plus the extension cable in a mirror housing, then getting the extension cable back out of the housing, could be tricky.

Another issue is how to aim the lens. When the mirror is adjusted to give the driver the correct rear view, it's housing is at an angle to the road ahead... At least mine is.

If you succeed in doing this, then please post photos at...

http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mobius-mounting-solutions.2654/page-3

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally just want to have the lens actually mounted in the windshield. And the housing some where else. Most people will look at it and think it a rain/auto light on sensor.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I'd like to mount the lens inside the rain sensor housing, but from exterior it doesn't seem to have enough place (I didn't open it yet). Another option would be under the housing (where Mobius is currently placed) but then 8" is not enough to reach the headliner :( If I put it on one side of the rain sensor housing (close to it) I'll loose the field of view on the opposite side... For the moment I'll leave it like this...

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally just want to have the lens actually mounted in the windshield. And the housing some where else.

As would I. the lens module could have a couple of thin metal 'legs' which can be stuck with double sided tape & the angle of the lens adjusted - much like the second lens on many of the dual cam units.
having the ability to mount the DVR remotely - especially at a much greater distance - would mean that the electronics needn't be housed in such a tiny box - or even miniaturised at all

:p:p
I succefully extendet it with the 20cm cable and hide the lens in my Rainsensorcover.
Look here
I agree. This is the best solutuion to have dashcam lens. Audi and some VW group cars already have dashcams built into rain sensor from factory.

You guys with rain sensor cars are lucky ! :p. I had this idea a 2-3y ago when 808 #18 came out with lens extension option, but I am not yet ready to change my no-rain sensor car because of fully stealth dashcam install ;)

Great job !

Can you share close shot pictures of rain sensor area from different angles incl from inside car.

What happened to hand ?

thanks, ive had this idea also befor techmoan, but i bought my mobius 1 week ago, all my other cams dont have the option to extend the lens.
Now i have the mobius and installed it in stealth modus.

I hit my finger with a carpet knife while installing the car charger for the mobius 5 days ago...

i will made some pics from inside and outside... wait a moment...

thanks, ive had this idea also befor techmoan, but i bought my mobius 1 week ago, all my other cams dont have the option to extend the lens.
Now i have the mobius and installed it in stealth modus.

I hit my finger with a carpet knife while installing the car charger for the mobius 5 days ago...

i will made some pics from inside and outside... wait a moment...
As per women look, they say: beauty need sacrifice.
As per technology "beauty" for guys I must say the same ;)

Get well soon !

well said.

Here an outside pic...
its realy hard to recognize the lens.
18716705hu.jpg

Here some inside pics:
18716733ga.jpg

18716734lc.jpg

18716735jy.jpg

18716736wi.jpg

18716742wm.jpg

18716743iv.jpg

18716744vs.jpg

18716745je.jpg

18716746pg.jpg

The usb connector will be replaced with a 90 degree adapter to get smaller size.
and the cam itsellf will be covered with something... iam searching...

now iam working on a polarizing filter made of a 3d cinema glass...

somebody try to put 2 lens extensions together?
for example 2x20cm or 5+20cm?
i would like to know what is the longest working extension for mobius...

i would like to know what is the longest working extension for mobius...
It can be no longer than 20cm. To much interference will occur and mess up the signal. When I talked to the manufacturer they said that they are working on a solution so the cable can be further extended, but it is not happening over night. :(

Back