Mobius Maxi 4K Action Camera / Dashcam

In general the Maxi 4K is power efficient. I don't know how long the capacitor will maintain the date/time in standby. It may be similar to the Mobius 1??

In general the Maxi 4K is power efficient. I don't know how long the capacitor will maintain the date/time in standby. It may be similar to the Mobius 1??

If the Maxi super-cap were so similar to the Mobius 1 in how long it can keep the date & time in the 4K I doubt they would have mentioned it as a concern, no?

The Maxi 4K can be configured by a few methods.

One method is to manually edit the configuration file that resides on the microSD card.
The camera automatically creates SYNC_PARA.CFG.BAK every time it is turned on. This file contains the current camera configuration.

1631693228483.png

This file can be edited in Notepad or some other text editor:

1631693397543.png

When done, save the file and remove the .BAK suffix. The camera will then adopt the new settings the next time it is turned on.

1631693598407.png

Users may prefer to use GUI software to configure the camera. One option is to use mSetup which caters for all the Mobius series of cameras. Alternatively, there is a lightweight program mTool which currently works only for the Maxi 4K.

1631693977530.png

1631694023415.png

The new case for the Maxi has a lens surround with an OD of ~20.5mm. I wonder if an interference-fit or magnetic CPL attachment could be made to fit?

I tried the CPL for the SG9665GC but it is just too small.

I'm pleased to hear that the existing super-cap will function, but of course it is disappointing that it won't power the camera for very long. This makes me wonder if there is room inside the housing for a larger, higher capacity super-cap module. Hopefully there will be a solution.
In my Mobius Maxi (used as dashcam) I have four supercapacitors 5F@2.8V, soldered on a self made PCB to work as 10F@5.6V.
It allows Mobius to work after disconnecting for around ~6s (power-off when battery is empty), leaving something around 2.5V in the capacitors.
So I've set it to turn off after 5s and the charge left in these caps is enough to keep time for more than 7 days.
How much longer? Don't know, never had a chance to test the limit.

Last edited:
There is a different capacitor solution being tested for the Maxi 4K, rather than simply using the capacitor from original Maxi.

In my Mobius Maxi (used as dashcam) I have four supercapacitors 5F@2.8V, soldered on a self made PCB to work as 10F@5.6V.
It allows Mobius to work after disconnecting for around ~6s (power-off when battery is empty), leaving something around 2.5V in the capacitors.
So I've set it to turn off after 5s and the charge left in these caps is enough to keep time for more than 7 days.
How much longer? Don't know, never had a chance to test the limit.

Sounds interesting. I would love to see a photo of your DIY super-cap solution inside the Maxi housing. Also, what did you do for the DIY pcb?

By coincidence, I was looking at a photo of an open Maxi housing yesterday and thinking that there is more room inside for the battery and supercap than I remembered.

The quality and detail looks good. Looks like reflection from the windshield is relatively low.
Seems at night time is somewhat low in light, very close to the amount of light from Original Mobius 1 at night. Compared it to the Viofo A119 A3 i returned.

Hopefully the quality of this one is as good as the original mobius 1 and it'll serve many years.
My experience with the mobius 2 was rather bad.

This is what i got about a capacitor
1632496541367.png

It'll be good if it can hold the date for a couple of weeks, but its not critical for me.

I wish they enable even higher bitrate for higher details for whoever wants it (the affordable samsung evo microSD cards go up to 90 MB/s)
And a H.265 compression for smaller file size, but thats probably not going to happen.

The quality and detail looks good. Looks like reflection from the windshield is relatively low.
Seems at night time is somewhat low in light, very close to the amount of light from Original Mobius 1 at night.
The reflection from the windshield has little to do with the camera itself, and more to do with the car, the angle of the light, and the camera position within the car.

I have some comparison videos with M1 that I will share soon.

The Maxi 4K performs better at night with a faster lens. We expect Mobius to release a new lens for this camera soon.

I wish they enable even higher bitrate for higher details for whoever wants it (the affordable samsung evo microSD cards go up to 90 MB/s)
And a H.265 compression for smaller file size, but thats probably not going to happen.
Don't confuse the video bitrate, usually measured in Mb/s, with the card write speed, usually quoted in MB/s.

I don't think a higher bitrate will be high on the priority list for any updates. I would suggest running at 50Mbps rather than 60 within a confined car, to avoid heat-related issues.

The reflection from the windshield has little to do with the camera itself, and more to do with the car, the angle of the light, and the camera position within the car.

I have some comparison videos with M1 that I will share soon.

The Maxi 4K performs better at night with a faster lens. We expect Mobius to release a new lens for this camera soon.

I had A119 V3 side-by-side in the same car with mobius #1, and the reflection on the A119 from the windshield were horrible compared to the mobius. the A119 can be adjusted to be a bit closer or further away and it did not help at all.
So from my own experience, reflections have something to with the lens itself too.
see here

I had A119 V3 side-by-side in the same car with mobius #1, and the reflection on the A119 from the windshield were horrible compared to the mobius. the A119 can be adjusted to be a bit closer or further away and it did not help at all.
So from my own experience, reflections have something to with the lens itself too.
see here

Wedge style cameras are notorious for having worse reflection problems than other types of cameras. It is the angle and proximity to the glass, not the lens itself. Also, with wedge cameras mounted directly on the windshield glass you can only adjust the lens up and down but you can't adjust it to be closer or farther away from the glass.

The A119 can be higher and close to the windshield or lower and further away, as it can adjust from both the suction cup and at the lens.
I did not see any impact on the reflections moving it closer or further away (at which point it was further away from the windshield then the mobius).

So IMO reflections do have something to do with the lens. maybe the shape of the glass.

The A119 can be higher and close to the windshield or lower and further away, as it can adjust from both the suction cup and at the lens.
I did not see any impact on the reflections moving it closer or further away (at which point it was further away from the windshield then the mobius).

So IMO reflections do have something to do with the lens. maybe the shape of the glass.

Most people mount the A119 V3 directly to the glass as it has been designed for, not an optional suction cup. In any event, whatever problems you have with reflections are not caused by the lens. Try a CPL or a dash mat.

I believe @Necromancer already returned the A119?

On a related note, Mobius do not supply a mount with the Maxi 4K, or any of their cameras. Just the slide-in holder with an optional 1/4" threaded socket. So users are free to mount the camera as they want.

My personal preference is a 3D wedge, wide enough to take a strip of VHB tape on the top side for mounting on the glass, and a strip of dual-lock tape on the lower face to hold the camera. Here are 2x Mobius Maxi and a GitUp F1, all mounted on 3D wedges. The camera on the left has a varifocal lens attached, so it needs a deeper wedge to prevent the lens from hitting the screen.

PXL_20210912_115048696-01.jpeg

I'm aware Necromancer returned the A119 so I don't know why he's still talking about it either but I guess he's trying to compare the windshield reflections based on the different lenses in the Mobius and the A119. As we know, the lenses have nothing to do with the reflections, per se.

Sounds interesting. I would love to see a photo of your DIY super-cap solution inside the Maxi housing. Also, what did you do for the DIY pcb?

By coincidence, I was looking at a photo of an open Maxi housing yesterday and thinking that there is more room inside for the battery and supercap than I remembered.
My battery got swollen and when camera fell, the pressure broke one of the case latches - which I welded and strengthen with part of metal staple, so it's good as new.
Because Maxi is my daily dashcam, I improvised with a universal PCB, which worked fine, but the spacing between caps is less than optimal, and it's the reason why they are askew and take more space then they should.
Supercaps are BUP002R8L505FA and entire bank is wrapped in kapton tape.
I didn't have time to wait for properly made PCB, but I designed it anyway - you can see how everything is connected on the visualizations.

maxi1.jpgmaxi2.jpgmaxi3.jpg

3d.pngbottom.pngtop.png

My battery got swollen and when camera fell, the pressure broke one of the case latches - which I welded and strengthen with part of metal staple, so it's good as new.
Because Maxi is my daily dashcam, I improvised with a universal PCB, which worked fine, but the spacing between caps is less than optimal, and it's the reason why they are askew and take more space then they should.
Supercaps are BUP002R8L505FA and entire bank is wrapped in kapton tape.
I didn't have time to wait for properly made PCB, but I designed it anyway - you can see how everything is connected on the visualizations.

View attachment 58429View attachment 58430View attachment 58431

View attachment 58432View attachment 58433View attachment 58434
Nice job!

As long as the caps fit inside the case the fact that they're askew doesn't seem to matter at all. The housing looks fine too. I can't see where you repaired it.

If you ever need or want to replace the case with a brand new one you can buy replacement cases from various Mobius sellers. https://minidvcameras.co.uk/product/replacement-mobius-maxi-case/

Last edited:
Nice job!

As long as the caps fit inside the case the fact that they're askew doesn't seem to matter at all. The housing looks fine too. I can't see where you repaired it.

If you ever need or want to replace the case with a brand new one you can buy replacement cases from various Mobius sellers. https://minidvcameras.co.uk/product/replacement-mobius-maxi-case/
Indeed, they have some extra space left, that's why they have that foam from the battery.

Since I instinctively repaired it, I didn't even know about replacement cases, thanks!

Here are the photos of the repaired latch. You could make them look much better, but since they're inside, I didn't bother.
Don't forget it is now metal reinforced :D
outside.jpginside.jpgmetal.jpg

Anyway, it's new Maxi 4k thread and I just realized we're getting off-topic ;)

Last edited:
Back