Mobius Maxi 4K Action Camera / Dashcam

Maxi 4K : F2.8 and F1.5 Lens - Daytime

EDIT: Videos removed. This was the old F1.5 lens from the original Maxi. A new F1.5 lens for the MM4K is now available

Last edited:
If I wanted to use this dashcam to capture my landings in a Cessna, which focal length would you recommend? I'm leaning towards the F1.5 since from what I understand lower FL provides a wider angle. Is there instances where the F2.8 version is more advantageous?

If I wanted to use this dashcam to capture my landings in a Cessna, which focal length would you recommend? I'm leaning towards the F1.5 since from what I understand lower FL provides a wider angle. Is there instances where the F2.8 version is more advantageous?

The ƒ/1.5 should provide excellent results but if you are flying in very bright conditions then ƒ/2.8 may provide a better result. Of course, the beauty of Mobius cameras is that if the ƒ/1.5 lens is not meeting your needs you can easily swap in another lens.

You seem to be confusing aperture with focal length, which is easy to do when both numbers are similar for these lenses.

The F1.5 and F2.8 we are referring to with these lenses is the aperture. The smaller the number, the wider the aperture, letting in more light. The trade off can be a reduction in video quality, especially towards the edges of the frame.

Both lenses have approximately the same focal length (at a guess, around 2.8mm?), and thus approximately the same angular field of view.

I see. Both versions have the same angle of view then it seems.

Since I'm exclusively flying during daytime then maybe F2.8 might be more ideal.

Does this camera have a wide view and regular option or will that come later with a wide view lens?

Since I'm exclusively flying during daytime then maybe F2.8 might be more ideal.

Does this camera have a wide view and regular option or will that come later with a wide view lens?
I think the F2.8 might be better for you, although it is more prone to off-axis flare.

The view is already quite wide. If you select a lower resolution you can choose a narrower FOV in the setup, but I much prefer the direct 4K output.

If you later want a narrower view you can swap the lens. Apparently a 4K, 4mm focal length rectilinear lens works well in this camera, according to someone over on the RCG forum.

Mobius have released a detailed user manual for the Maxi 4K.

Attachments

• MM4K User Manual EN V2.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
Extra heat sink , interesting addition & super capacitor for dash cam use.

Extra heat sink , interesting addition & super capacitor for dash cam use.
Yes, the external heat sink looks like an interesting option. As is the suggestion of a DIY heatsink.

Mobius have created a website to support the Maxi 4K, which includes links to the user manual, setup tools, and the latest firmware:

Hello, you can make a video by looking at the dimensions of the camera. Please link to buy preferably from amazon or official store

Hello, you can make a video by looking at the dimensions of the camera

The dimensions of the Mobius M4K are approximately 72mm x 35mm x 18.5mm - Lens diameter 20.5mm - (Lens A: FOV 150° ƒ/2.8 ) - battery

The super-capacitor version with ƒ/1.5 lens is available by request.

did anyone notice this part in the manual ?
If your smart phone has Type C interface and supports USB OTG, you
can wire them using provided USB cable (to camera) and Type C USB
OTG adapter (to phone).
The camera can work as a USB Disk to your phone, and you can easily
access the files on the memory card.
The camera can even work as a USB camera if you have the correct app.
(Press Shutter button to switch between USB Disk /Camera mode).
that's a very useful feature if it works properly

that's a very useful feature if it works properly
I have used both a USB OTG wired connection and a WiFi connection with third-party apps to get the camera live view onto my phone, and for basic camera functions. The apps cannot be used for changing any settings though.

I have used both a USB OTG wired connection and a WiFi connection with third-party apps to get the camera live view onto my phone, and for basic camera functions. The apps cannot be used for changing any settings though.
with the "normal" Maxi I couldn't use Wifi when the camera was hot, or it would halt the camera after a minute or so while using the app. How's it like with the Maxi 4K ?

with the "normal" Maxi I couldn't use Wifi when the camera was hot, or it would halt the camera after a minute or so while using the app. How's it like with the Maxi 4K ?
I have only used the WiFi for short durations, such as focusing a lens or aiming the camera, and it has always worked. It doesn't ever get properly hot here!

I am about to buy the camera, but I have some doubts:
- What does the packet include? Did someone unpack on video?
-What functions does the built-in WIFI have, can it be used as a remote control?
- How does it improve compared to the normal maxi?
-What is the battery life?
-How long does it take to charge to 100%?
-Can it be used as an action camera?
-Does it have a vibration system to make sure it is recording or is it just the led?

I am about to buy the camera, but I have some doubts:
- What does the packet include? Did someone unpack on video?
Package included

1x Mobius Maxi 4K Camera with Battery
1x Mounting Base
1x Type C USB (data/charging) Cable
1x Type C USB OTG Adapter
1x Pair Velcro
1x Quick Start Guide

There is no dashcam mount, or Go-Pro style mount, in the pack.

-What functions does the built-in WIFI have, can it be used as a remote control?
Limited functions with the iSmart DV2 app:
- live video preview
- stop/start video
- download files from camera

- How does it improve compared to the normal maxi?
Higher resolution. Less noise. Better colour accuracy.

-What is the battery life?
About 2 hours on full charge

-Can it be used as an action camera?
Yes, it can record action. It is not waterproof or dust-proof.

-Does it have a vibration system to make sure it is recording or is it just the led?
No vibration. Just LEDs.

Has anyone seen the Maxi 4K with super capacitator on Amazon yet? I'm leaning on purchasing from Amazon due to ease of return if there are issues.

Back