Mobius Maxi F1.5 2.7k

Yep given the low light performance is very good but not the best, I expected more noise with it on. That said, the road is quite well lit. The real test is a suburban side road / unlit country road / unlit motorway (freeway / autobahn).

Yeah I guess that won't have a very good result. But who knows, I'll see when I have the time for it and test it.

Yep given the low light performance is very good but not the best, I expected more noise with it on. That said, the road is quite well lit. The real test is a suburban side road / unlit country road / unlit motorway (freeway / autobahn).
You may not have noticed that the night time CPL video by @dirkzelf was taken with a Mobius 1, not a Maxi.

You may not have noticed that the night time CPL video by @dirkzelf was taken with a Mobius 1, not a Maxi.

Yeah sorry, forgot to mention that.... have no Maxi yet.

Here's the daytime example with the round clp filter from my post earlier.

Was checking my SD card, and I have no idea what happened here, but I just couln't resist sharing it..... (Mobius 1 camera)

Put some weird music under and of we go, back into the 70s....!!

Was checking my SD card, and I have no idea what happened here, but I just couln't resist sharing it..... (Mobius 1 camera)

Put some weird music under and of we go, back into the 70s....!!

From the Mobius instruction manual. Usually, the cable needs to be re-seated. Happened to me on one occasion several years ago on a Mobius V1 with the original fragile cable.

psychedelic.jpg

I received this message on ebay from the manufacturer.
We might have a factory made mobius maxi cpl option become available.

Dear country_hick,

Hi friend,

Thanks for your waiting. My friend, for cpl filter, I have
checked it with manager, our technical supports are testing on it now, but
not sure that if it will be release or not, and we need to research the
needs for cpl filter.

Thanks for your
understanding.

Regards,
Mandy

I've never gotten it to work in webcam mode since getting it and I don't do updates :censored:
Which means not changing lens for now...

I've never gotten it to work in webcam mode since getting it and I don't do updates :censored:
Which means not changing lens for now...
When I change Maxi lenses, I refocus using video out via USB with the MobiusActionCam app.

I've been thinking about the simple Maxi CPL solution I posted 9 days ago based on @Harsh's concept of using the supplied Maxi lens cap and the 24mm CPL from a mini-0906. I really liked the way it looked, almost like it could be a factory supplied accessory if it were refined a bit more. So, of course, I was bummed that it turned out to cause vignetting depending on the chosen resolution one is shooting at.

So, as I thought about this during the week I realized there was a simple elegant way to make this work, that places the 24mm CPL very close to the front element of the lens, thus completely eliminating vignetting in ALL resolutions and with the fringe benefit of a design that looks far more professional and compact. Now, it even looks like something that could come from the factory. It has a nice cohesiveness and integrity as if it were meant to look like this beyond just being a lens cap with a CPL pressed onto it.

This new approach requires no glue as it makes for a snug but still adjustable friction fit of the CPL on the lens cap and of the lens cap on the lens bezel itself. The approach could not be more simple. I started with a fresh Maxi replacement lens cap and carefully cut out the top with an X-acto knife and then, like last time, I cleaned it up with a Dremel tool. This time I did NOT remove the raised lip inside the cap. This is important. The lip provides extra holding power when the cap is installed on the lens. Instead of installing the lens cap in the normal way I pressed it onto the lens backwards so that the end that was cut out is facing towards the camera and the back of the lens cap is facing forward. When pressing the lens cap onto the lens the trick here is to push it ALL that way until the back of the cap (now facing the front) is exactly level with the front of the lens bezel. The cap will be a very tight fit on the lens because it is slightly tapered in front and you are now pushing the tapered end on backwards and the wider portion of the cap (now forward) will make for a tighter, more secure fit for the CPL. The one important caution here is to be careful when installing the tightly fitting backwards lens cap onto the lens because if you twist it carelessly you risk throwing the lens out of focus. Finally, all you need to do is press the CPL onto the front of the lens cap and make the required adjustment. The fit of the CPL is fairly tight just from friction and will stay in place quite well once set.

EDIT: I decided to add this photo below to this post to better illustrate what I was talking about in the previous paragraph regarding the tapered Maxi lens cap. Reversing the lens cap when installing it on the Maxi B lens is critical for this DIY project to work because only the wider rear of the tapered cap will be the correct size for a snug fit with the mini-0906 24mm CPL.

lenscaps_cpl.jpg

When you install the lens cap this way, as you can see and compare in the photos below, you now have the lens cap completely covering the gap between the front lens bezel and the rear lens bezel. You now have a wide 24mm CPL very close to (but not touching) the 20mm front lens element with a nicer, cleaner, more compact design and there is zero vignetting at any Maxi resolution setting including 4K.

Maxi_cpl_2.jpg

maxicpl-c.jpg

BTW, if anyone is wondering, those strange protrusions on the bottom of the camera are the nubs of some 3M Dual Lock tape I've applied to my Maxi.

1920 x 1080
1920x1080.jpg

2704 x 1524 (2.7K)
2k.jpg

Last edited:
I run both OSX and Windows 7 on the same machine using a VM for Windows on a second monitor. For connecting the Mobius in web cam mode I always opt for the Mac side using QuickTime Player in "movie recording mode" because it always works so easily.

The Mobius 1 has always defaulted to 1280 x 720 in web cam mode. The other day, while adjusting the CPL design above I realized for the first time that the default resolution in web cam mode on the Maxi is 1920 x 1440. :happy:

webmode.jpg

Last edited:
4 months later, mine bit the dust. Won't boot up. Haven't had time yet to see if I can fix it, but this is one of the least impressive cameras I've had so far.

4 months later, mine bit the dust. Won't boot up. Haven't had time yet to see if I can fix it, but this is one of the least impressive cameras I've had so far.
4 months is very disappointing. I hope it's an easy fix.

Noting that the Maxi tends to under-expose at night, particularly if there are bright highlights in the scene, I have been experimenting with changing the auto exposure values. I have compared it to my Viofo A129 which has a Sony IMX291 Starvis sensor and an F1.6 lens of similar FOV to the Maxi B F1.5 lens.

Maxi: EV+0 / EV+0.3 / EV+0.6 / EV+1.0 / Viofo A129 EV+0
y4mJLQxTatiqSEBImEE8KD2L4GuZ_Q4BRIVTTIMZfblPbpC_4nqhdKD9NhS-apbpJ3j09ds4xBqZamC4VT00VII_C18OsRXRVeyDq3-w__fbRaTMGiLM90410vYJHnhtX5oUXnjFM0bWVCH43pgOiOCGon6KZv9g0LqNfj2pQVcSm1TCj8bG2k-mlO8xja6qOP6AMQ-oGl4yOFhqGb48kwFhQ
y4mA8m5iJDiA4ng_8NTQuPGT4bTWJWgPMGGvrfLCvPcu0pFTFo0kMPrL7jXSaC-nf5tUGwStAqt2oHnlH5db5RjblmgYo4zgjuV3ga_Dueg_61G4eoHGad_Tymva7DPiX7MurWHzcY-BI4Ghd8894f0nSSwkP_z__hXW4BDKCTwgbvxpRQ8Om1jhAetnDdpOxWj7W56IQatmu88lORwuYxAqQ
y4m8bcEFfBKHXJsT4U0R17Bc2DsKZ0P7TL077bULf92sJjtTivdDSbLkbML0KtDMpzzBWHgiU-TO_NXr1u7hn4wX5FcGie5MhtpgVOsZxKjYDNhzmrV_5SyFi5lZIJXcsG628MP98bYkT7lD16rkwKYILZSDiBC5Clr5Ld7MfNIU-amQyo_6VOadI_77Nk2KPUQd_J7MTOuYVYL_F6RwcAWRQ
y4mHZ6ddnK9mnu6Y4CDzv7nCsQLLSxdMPyUd0B4UuiWIhxhGm6Yy_hmBhILj0wCVg5PTQpQ2MpDRPakx_WNpsnRH1Hm-tHFy142Aa0QksjlIWfwYN02QZ82pZ7PvXWMQVtKUCr9qreDp2i9i-hVTad5C2tLBNOvts9lO9QiH876vWx4vrD7B3EQscSQLZkUR7hXyfxgSbyn9FEuzrELAtRqGA
y4mz6FG5SQfM_9RLECpARC7N8hXEOrFcnYhJjY62MY8Y5aTYPb64qmCLfn6WqoOFoqP8_HUMz37XfMOEspreKYNn3D5hcTlTVLZrYvzexsHSwZmyfBzegOQpVXNGWkDFWlrnFsBHAs5IWNFXCcH-AT4VSv8DVRlrGF-9x9ntoeUin-yUZEaH-kE6m2feR3vOLitb5qEzxUnOEkOZdIwTuUXCg

This is a video sample with EV set to +1, with all other parameters at default (including multi-spot metering). I am using the latest FW V2.11 which responds better to bright highlights, with less noticeable darkening when approaching other cars close up.

Maxi - 2.7k 30fps 60Mbps EV+1 (no CPL)
A129 - 1080p 30fps 16.4Mbps EV+0 (no CPL) (Mod 4Uh FW)

y4m0zcpJ9DamjQiBl-QDNtcaqg2Y-aMGBo0hV3eGrK8oL2laxZYKlQdbn09kGAIz54Hitqf3uSZE28ASqo7rZk3MXtWoNLlZwyyysKWpgJIcKdw9y9_Y3FLvpy5h79pj3dibiBcvnnM7_p3bLVA5AYnQ7exdUOVW6WjgyPqUJXHzPygCQPodrq7jgpN4oeSA4qKiE1jZUpVzRd9ulGyJjK3JQ

y4m6MzpbPxWZXvWaQumMuwj1KDhUGAjlW_hrkxi-Y3z7QdepDIEzBgb1frWU7GgZ1AbwiPxOyVai1Yki6T8PgXImKptYcV4f1Jp5Xyo2Ey7YnjGMt8GRluF3JCgprQMQO5wH_BvMSmNPj6zxMUm1XvFG1PK17Z4IOiVfbrLIS0_dKkB1nr0FpA7Y_7AYG8Hhm0tu_e4uM1r0My2WmENH5JTLA

y4mC6sBHL73W-_KkRKTAt6aFXxZqqXTDzj4eexERgeN_U6Nb2lqUvwDPqtJuQ7yf6VN26w9Bx6YjVvF508G6ml57yfdER_uNYBgEkbTGRoA0qgJGBkIqdo69uROgRCJWtVPBRcs2jpt8WdQuJXnAcQBTaMTR2-rbD1GaAwqsGeSKFIIT2qsGAU6qzInNLj6MJ6B2UK9zcFgPtgrE5NKimmBaw

y4mJuHla6_G6VgPsgJLJIkPy1-JUn8QTR5PvpQdeHt3PgSbCzZObTCtPkfKIDZyi7-qVhG9snK-lqSSz6TuzlP4YeR157_7fHwsHpVAbvCIUdQ7U0CqTg0Zo3tS_ttyp-sfcVzKJ_HnFQS0RpjGZ7kUlUVPTvBcDfFqmAZabDgzqJcC6mVjWecLUJZXxpJ5JaxZcLGyyKIWwas8HEjoUK52Ag

The Maxi video has a lot more noise than the A129, but maintains a slight advantage on exposure time and motion blur. Highlights are also defined better on the A129.

I think it would be useful if Mobius could adjust the night-time auto-exposure to be perhaps EV+0.7 higher than the current default. What does anyone else think?

EV 0 seems overall better to me, EV+1 seems somewhat more Grainy.
Your test does seem to pull out the differences, but as Dashmellow said to complete the test you need some daytime footage. Nice job.

Back