Mobius Maxi Image Issues

Kerry Warr

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I have an issue with my new mobius maxi. I am using it as a dashcam and the footage i am getting is not very clear or sharp at all. To be honest you can only just read number plates when they are about 5 meters from the car. I borrowed a mates mobius 1 and the image is significantly better and number plates are super sharp even when significantly further than 5 metres away. I have tried playing with the settings changing it from 2.7k,1440p and 1080p and changing the fps but nothing is making much improvement at all. I have tried changing video quality to superfine and the footage is still nowhere near as good as the mobius 1. Does anyone know what the best setting i can use to try and get the footage on par with the mobius 1 or does my maxi have an issue. Forgot to say my maxi has lens B.

Sounds like it's out of focus, you can open it up and reset it if that's the case
I agree it sounds like it is out of focus. Since you have the B lens, your Maxi should have come with a small hex key to loosen the set screw in the lens holder. I would suggest connecting the Maxi to your PC in webcam mode whilst refocusing the lens.

Yep sounds like you will have to adjust the focus, be advised it take very little to do this, like a couple of degrees most often.
It is a good idea to make a little scratch / mark somewhere on the lens housing so you know your starting point.

I have to admit, I'm not exactly jumping for joy about the performance I'm experiencing from the new Maxi, but then again I'm still testing it and have not reached any final conclusions. What you describe may indeed be something as simple as a slightly out of focus lens though. Can you possibly post a couple of screen shots from the Maxi and the M1 so we can get a better idea of what you are dealing with.

Last edited:
I have to admit, I'm not exactly jumping for joy about the performance I'm experiencing from the new Maxi, but then again I'm still testing it and have not reached any final conclusions. What you describe may indeed be something as simple as a slightly out of focus lens though. Can you possibly post a couple of screen shots from the Maxi and the M1 so we can get a better idea of what you are dealing with.

I thought I was really missing something here. I've been so unimpressed with this camera (spent a few hours with it), I put it back in the box. Guess I'll give it another shot in a few weeks when I have more time.

It's not that bad but yes a lot needs to be addressed - green tint, noise, diesel startup issue (like the M1 on 2.41), image going dark with Multi-Spot and Centre-Weighted and the inexplicable lockups.

Looking forward to fixes.

I thought I was really missing something here. I've been so unimpressed with this camera (spent a few hours with it), I put it back in the box. Guess I'll give it another shot in a few weeks when I have more time.

It's not that bad but yes a lot needs to be addressed - green tint, noise, diesel startup issue (like the M1 on 2.41), image going dark with Multi-Spot and Centre-Weighted and the inexplicable lockups.

Looking forward to fixes.

I've had quite a few distractions lately so I've not put too much time into the Maxi but the camera seems to have many shortcomings. The whole experience has shades of the M2 debacle but I'm hopeful that things will eventually get sorted out via firmware. Then again, I had been hoping to see new firmware introduced by now, but so far nothing. So unfortunately, again shades of the M2 which is virtually unusable, abandoned by the developer and amazingly, still on the market.

Frankly, I've been amazed that no one has brought up any of these IQ disappointments, so I'm also relieved to see a couple of other members bring this up. Frankly, @TonyM has more extensive experience with the Maxi than any of us but he has had nothing but positive remarks about the camera's performance which is a bit puzzling.

At some point soon, I hope to present a thorough report of my testing the Maxi which will outline more than just IQ problems but functional issues too, but as I've mentioned there have been some distractions and delays. One reason for the testing delay has taken on an amusing but increasingly drawn out and frustrating turn. A month ago I had a new windshield installed in my truck which turned out to be seriously defective (warped and slightly hazy). The glass shop replaced it, except that the new windshield is even worse than the first one! A third one is scheduled to be installed later in the week. The manufacturer who has seen photos of the problem completely denies the issue which literally everyone who has seen it including the manager and other employees at the glass shop agree is really quite bad. "Worst I've ever seen", according to the shop manager. Hopefully, by next week I've have a decent windshield.

Frankly, I've been amazed that no one has brought up any of these IQ disappointments, so I'm also relieved to see a couple of other members bring this up. Frankly, @TonyM has more extensive experience with the Maxi than any of us but he has had nothing but positive remarks about the camera's performance which is a bit puzzling
I have posted many original video files and single video frames with comparisons to M1, A129, A119 and F1, so the differences in AWB and video noise are there for anyone to see.
I pointed out the green tint to Mobius soon after I received the camera, and I have acknowledged on DCT that the auto WB could be improved
I commented that the metering was too dark at night when reflective number plates were up close
I have not had any of these inexplicable lockups that others have reported
I cannot get video-out from the Maxi on my work PC running Windows10, but I suspect that's an issue caused by a Microsoft update rather than Mobius as it did function previously
I did endure 3 months of auto-start failures throughout the firmware development. That was finally fixed, for my diesel car at least. But I would not be surprised if other users with different cars have experienced similar problems.

Having been hit by another driver who did not stop, being able to read the number plates of oncoming vehicles has become important to me. On that occasion I was lucky that I was just able to get the other driver's number plate details, despite running 7 cameras at the time. In terms of number plate capture, the Maxi has consistently matched or out-performed all of my other cameras. So whilst I acknowledge that the image quality could be better, the ability to capture details is more important to me. If I want better image quality and a greater range of IQ adjustments I would choose the Mobius 1, as I mentioned in our 6-22mm varifocal discussion.

I too am waiting to see what is coming in firmware updates. I'm not testing any new features at the moment.

Sorry for taking so long to reply. I contacted the seller of the mobius maxi and they suggested its needs refocussing as you all said. Unfortunately I did not seem to get the 0.9 mm hex key with the camera to be able to undo the lense grub screw so I ordered one. It only got delivered today so will try refoccusing the maxi tonight. I have added a couple of example screen images to show you all what I mean about it being unclear. The mobius 1 I borrowed to compare was so much better.

Attachments

• mobius maxi 2.JPG
    mobius maxi 2.JPG
    167.6 KB · Views: 68
  • mobius maxi 1.JPG
    mobius maxi 1.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 66
Sorry for taking so long to reply. I contacted the seller of the mobius maxi and they suggested its needs refocussing as you all said. Unfortunately I did not seem to get the 0.9 mm hex key with the camera to be able to undo the lense grub screw so I ordered one. It only got delivered today so will try refoccusing the maxi tonight. I have added a couple of example screen images to show you all what I mean about it being unclear. The mobius 1 I borrowed to compare was so much better.
Your Maxi is focused too close - the edge of your dashboard is in focus, but the view beyond is not. You will need to screw the lens in clockwise a small amount, perhaps 1 or 2 degrees.

From what I have read, there have been a high proportion of Maxi users reporting that their lens is out of focus:
@Rocketvapor said his was way too close
@Kerry Warr's is too close
@kamkar1 said his was a little bit close
TBH mine was focused a bit close too

@Harsh seems to have decent focus out of the box?

I think Mobius should improve their quality control checks prior to shipping when using this faster F1.5 lens, which has a shallower depth of field than the lenses they have used previously.

I have gone a little back and forth with this lens, it seem like i cant get the best of both worlds, so i had to settle with "far" focus and then things really close ( closer than the end of my snub nosed car ) are a little bit OOF.

[
I have posted many original video files and single video frames with comparisons to M1, A129, A119 and F1, so the differences in AWB and video noise are there for anyone to see.
I pointed out the green tint to Mobius soon after I received the camera, and I have acknowledged on DCT that the auto WB could be improved
I commented that the metering was too dark at night when reflective number plates were up close
I have not had any of these inexplicable lockups that others have reported
I cannot get video-out from the Maxi on my work PC running Windows10, but I suspect that's an issue caused by a Microsoft update rather than Mobius as it did function previously
I did endure 3 months of auto-start failures throughout the firmware development. That was finally fixed, for my diesel car at least. But I would not be surprised if other users with different cars have experienced similar problems.

Having been hit by another driver who did not stop, being able to read the number plates of oncoming vehicles has become important to me. On that occasion I was lucky that I was just able to get the other driver's number plate details, despite running 7 cameras at the time. In terms of number plate capture, the Maxi has consistently matched or out-performed all of my other cameras. So whilst I acknowledge that the image quality could be better, the ability to capture details is more important to me. If I want better image quality and a greater range of IQ adjustments I would choose the Mobius 1, as I mentioned in our 6-22mm varifocal discussion.

I too am waiting to see what is coming in firmware updates. I'm not testing any new features at the moment.

OK, fair enough, but on the whole, in my view, you've "generally" been putting a positive spin on the Maxi. The fact remains that there are several elephants in the room with the Maxi and yet once again Mobius has introduced a camera with some significant deficiencies and at least so far has left buyers with no clue regarding if or when any of them will ever be remedied. I don't know what to make of the Mobius approach as time goes on. I was relieved and gratified that unlike the M2, at least this time we got a camera with a user focusable lens but the absolutely senseless and seemingly petty decision to not include the otherwise hard to find hex wrench that has been included with every M1 camera sold for the last 5 years is mindbogglingly hard to fathom. And to make matters worse, they're shipping cameras with poor focus! Nice work Mobius! And why would anyone who has been a fan of the original Mobius want an updated version of the camera that has far less ability to make IQ and exposure adjustments to the point where it presents itself as seriously compromised? This is simply a giant step backwards!

Good license plate capture is one thing but there is far more to a camera's performance than that alone, especially if you want to use it for other types of image making such as RC work for example; it's major marketing target. FWIW, at least so far in my testing I'm not seeing anywhere near the ability to capture plate numbers that you claim and this too has left me puzzled. In any event, as I've said, I have not been able to thoroughly test the camera as yet so have not reached any definitive conclusions beyond the obvious, so I'll reserve final judgment.

Speaking of reasons for incomplete testing, I just got word today that my glass shop has a new, third replacement windshield to install by the end of the week that they've procured from another manufacturer since the original manufacturer completely denies the problem despite documentation and testimony from me and everyone at the glass shop including management. It's really quite a story that I could start a whole thread about, and might, depending on how things go but for now I'll indulge going off topic just a bit here and show what I'm talking about. The glass is so warped that my windshield wiper blades lose contact with the glass when they reach the corners, the glass has a slight haze and the blue tint strip along the top has issues. Word has it that these units are cheap imports from China rather than the usual factory authorized replacements. :shifty: I've been dealing with this for over a month now, hence the testing delays.

warpedscreen1.jpg

warpedscreen6 .JPG

warpedscreen5.JPG

Last edited:
Well I have now refocused the maxi and have to admit it really isn't much better. The image really isn't sharp at all I think maybe I have got a faulty one or I cant focus it properly. I set up a number plate about 10 meters away and it's readable but not super sharp really. My friend mobius 1 was pin sharp.

Well I have now refocused the maxi and have to admit it really isn't much better. The image really isn't sharp at all I think maybe I have got a faulty one or I cant focus it properly. I set up a number plate about 10 meters away and it's readable but not super sharp really. My friend mobius 1 was pin sharp.

In many ways, my experience has been quite similar but I'm not quite ready to say that the camera is faulty. My image results are certainly not out of focus as in the screen shots you posted but are otherwise just kind of "meh":meh:. After further testing I'll have more to say.

Bearing in mind the noise and no CPL, mine looks alright.

It's the lens, does the job but that's about it. Same lens on the A129, again does the job but I'm certain that a better lens can produce drastically better results with both.

Bearing in mind the noise and no CPL, mine looks alright.

It's the lens, does the job but that's about it. Same lens on the A129, again does the job but I'm certain that a better lens can produce drastically better results with both.

I've been wondering about that but I don't want to tamper with the original camera just yet.

@Dashmellow That windshield looks seriously flawed, hope the issue gets resolved soon.

Thanks. Me too! Thankfully the guys at the glass shop have been great. They've been honest, helpful, friendly and don't play games. The manufacturer on the other hand has seen my photos as well as the first defective windshield that was already returned to them and claim that it is "in spec" and deny any problem, even after hearing that the wiper blades don't make contact with the glass in the corners. They are being really stupid because I understand they may be at risk of losing a major multi million dollar 18,000 - 20,000 unit contract with a large regional glass shop franchise over this kind of BS. What I've been told is that this kind of thing has been known to occur occasionally but the manufacturers typically acknowledge the problem when it does.

Last edited:
Back