Mobius Maxi Support Thread

So I tested it again after upgrading the firmware.

Part 1
These are screen grabs from 20190529_192300 to 20190529_194046 to proof that the maxi is indeed recording.

20190529_192300.MP4_snapshot_17.29.jpg20190529_194046.MP4_snapshot_00.02.jpg20190529_194046.MP4_snapshot_01.09.jpg

Recording of the test:
Beginning:
Maxi shuts down by itself:

Part 2
These are screen grabs from 20190529_200225 to 20190529_201155 to proof that the maxi is indeed recording.
1.jpg2.jpg

Recording of the test:
1.png
One clip only:

Download links valid for 7 days.

GIF:
DependableEveryAcornwoodpecker-size_restricted.gif

BadPoorIberianmidwifetoad-size_restricted.gif

Cards used is Sandisk extreme with and without A2.
Any way to fix this? Already reset many times. Please help.

Last edited:
I believe the blinking LED is an indication of low battery status, which might explain why you are seeing this after recording for about an hour. I've not seen it myself, since both of mine have capacitors so only run on external power.

I believe the blinking LED is an indication of low battery status, which might explain why you are seeing this after recording for about an hour. I've not seen it myself, since both of mine have capacitors so only run on external power.
I fully charged it(green/yellow led goes off) prior to this test. You see in the first gif, the led even stop blinking and stay on for a period of time.

Last edited:
Hello,

I tried to replace the Mobius maxi cable between the camera part and the board by a cable suitable in terms of design (24pins, 0.5mm gap). I did it successfully with a 25cm cable and had an issue after trying with a 52 cm long cable.

It worked for a short test video, I was able to read it from my pc, but since then, the maxi only blinks rapidly a purple color from the power button (indefinitely), and blink 5-6 times from the rear red lead when powered. I wasn't expecting a test with a new cable to ruin the camera. Here is a video of it.

I tried to reset it, change the SD card, remove the battery and power it through usb, but no luck, still the same looped purple blinking :/ When it blinks, the only way to turn it down is to reset the camera or wait until the battery is empty.

I tried to update the firmware to the latest version from SD card (no windows pc available at home) following the instructions but it kept blinking purple and didn't seem to read the firmware file.

I have no other idea of how to fix it.

Note that I also tried all of the above with the original cable: same result.

Is there a another way to get my mobius maxi back and running? Is this led feedback meaningful? I can't find references to it in the manual or in the forums.

Note:: I also posted this on RCgroups forum, not knowing in which support thread it belongs. Sorry for the duplicate.

May I know how many mm is the ORIGINAL lens A and B?
Don't see it posted anywhere or I might have missed it. Thanks in advance.

I don't think Mobius have ever said what focal length their lenses are in the Maxi.
In practice, lenses A and B have about the same FOV. B is faster than A (F1.5 vs F2.8), but has more distortion.

I don't think Mobius have ever said what focal length their lenses are in the Maxi.
In practice, lenses A and B have about the same FOV. B is faster than A (F1.5 vs F2.8), but has more distortion.
Need to know the exact mm to correct the distortion :(

Great question, one that brings up a long standing problem with Mobius specs.
According to the Mobius web site, the “A” lens has a field of view of 135-degrees and “B” lens is 150-degree FOV.

Unfortunately, eBay listings from established and legitimate Mobius vendors also list the “A” lens as 135-degree, but the wide-angle “B” lens is listed as 130-degree, which makes no sense. Guessing that’s a long-standing typo and should be 150. Regardless, I’ve never seen any Mobius lens listed by mm focal length. (My tables show 150 = about 2mm and 130 = 2.5mm.) The “A” Maxi lens measures 23mm from sensor to outer glass (if that helps any).

It may be that their software setting for narrow or wide FOV, which apples to both lenses, would effectively make mm length irrelevant. Would be nice to know what these settings add/subtract from FOV (and if pixel binning is used).

Maxi Lens A
y4mVRXxcyKhUKExpWac9J9e0YNP_eC0gpf8VnCmX9bg5JVQp7xs2_i3YLpeQvx7fpUIRuAse_cQz5-CMiYwa6azdjkz6F_KAn1Qv4_qPsWSGre1y-QG27j73H-nRA9PPzbPYOvw1e19lwV2_SRQ54aoy0z-hWj_Y-y58C0XQbdYDaEkGHxaIhO-dy3-IySrJuonLtromR91xwwoaQ4J2wSItw

Maxi Lens B
y4mmmCra30yIrHFtYSYjPZKXmfNgu1Q5puEfxKH3BoEc4UAWXrXEXN4aHFn9iHiTTlHBXLZvOeYRKnqjtJkFtpkFSMSox2W9MZGttVmZSnArmyYF1_gL8_ftAgwdwIj54oHRRXeCPKMyo1j2zrjAYVfqyA-XooGYkvwXZoL0LxLkFaZLPRzAHy7WwXxN7kJ6G8sgAIbietNxGlFTFwUhlT1UQ

It may be that their software setting for narrow or wide FOV, which apples to both lenses, would effectively make mm length irrelevant. Would be nice to know what these settings add/subtract from FOV (and if pixel binning is used).
Wide is effectively the full frame image read from the sensor. Narrow is a direct per-pixel crop from the centre of the sensor, at whatever resolution has been set. The maximum resolution for Narrow is 1920x1080.

Hoping the Mobius staff are reading this - please, please, please do NOT make your plastic mouldings with soft surfaces. They turn into a gelatinous mess after about 2 years. I just spent the better part of an entire night removing the goop from my Action Cam and was lucky to be successful. I was also successful with my Drift HD. Other items I have had less success with are Garmin Nuvi (write-off), Beats (write-off), desktop computer case (write-off). There are legions of horror stories out there on the web.
Yes. Super hate this type of coating but the casing are quite affordable to replace.

Hello,

I had numerous Mobius 1 in the past for drone racing. I didn't have any issue with them. I bought a Maxi for dashcam usage but I have been struggling with many problems. Maxi is not a stable cam as Mobius 1 or my unit is faulty.

MY new problem with it is its leds are erratic and sometimes it beeps while driving. I am having hard time trusting this camera. So far it kept recording even leds blinking erraticly. Here you can check how it blinks:

Firmware version: v2.26

Is this a known problem?

Hello,

I had numerous Mobius 1 in the past for drone racing. I didn't have any issue with them. I bought a Maxi for dashcam usage but I have been struggling with many problems. Maxi is not a stable cam as Mobius 1 or my unit is faulty.

MY new problem with it is its leds are erratic and sometimes it beeps while driving. I am having hard time trusting this camera. So far it kept recording even leds blinking erraticly. Here you can check how it blinks:

Firmware version: v2.26

Is this a known problem?
The Maxi sometimes does that when the battery is close to fully charged - it's just charging a little bit at a time, hence the flashing green light.

Batteries do not last long in the Maxi when used as a dashcam. I recommend that you switch to a capacitor.

A beep while driving could suggest a loose miniUSB connector - they do become loose with some cables.

Both the flashing light and beeps while driving could also be caused by an under-powered USB supply.

The Maxi sometimes does that when the battery is close to fully charged - it's just charging a little bit at a time, hence the flashing green light.

Batteries do not last long in the Maxi when used as a dashcam. I recommend that you switch to a capacitor.

A beep while driving could suggest a loose miniUSB connector - they do become loose with some cables.

Both the flashing light and beeps while driving could also be caused by an under-powered USB supply.

Thank you Tony, I am glad that this is not affecting functionality of the camera. Maxi has its own trickle charging method then =)

I am planning to upgrade to supercapacitor.

For my rear camera, Mobius 1
1 piece of combined cap to 5.4V 5.0F
8,80$ with free shipping

For my front camera, (dashcam) Mobius Maxi
2 piece of above. I will parallel connect them.
15,77 with free shipping

These are the cheapest (shipping included) supercapacitors I could find. If connectors are not suitable, I will cut them from original batteries.

I can pay few bucks more if there are better batteries. I couldn't find. Many of them were ridicolously expensive when shipping was added.

About random beeps, I will have to investigate deeper. Maybe there is a problem with power source as you mentioned. I am powering 2 mobius with a special circuit that I designed. Basically it is an Arduino nano with relay and 12V to 5V regulator. It powers on cameras when ignition is on and keeps cameras on 12h more after ignition off. Also, without ignition, it powers cameras for 2 minutes every 24 hours to charge capacitors to keep time/date. Don't have capacitors yet! But coding is for free =)

Hi, anyone knows the name of the black screw used on the casing? How to remove it if stuck(head is stripped)?

tried the aluminium foil but didnt work.

Hi, anyone knows the name of the black screw used on the casing? How to remove it if stuck(head is stripped)?

tried the aluminium foil but didnt work.
I don't know the spec of the screw. It is important to use the correct size screwdriver. I find a Phillips #00 size works well for the Mobius cases, and other camera cases too (Viofo, GitUp)

I did have one Maxi that was delivered with over-tightened screws - the heads were partially stripped. I was unable to undo them, so ended up breaking open the case and using a new one.

Thank you Tony, I am glad that this is not affecting functionality of the camera. Maxi has its own trickle charging method then =)

I am planning to upgrade to supercapacitor.

For my rear camera, Mobius 1
1 piece of combined cap to 5.4V 5.0F
8,80$ with free shipping

For my front camera, (dashcam) Mobius Maxi
2 piece of above. I will parallel connect them.
15,77 with free shipping

These are the cheapest (shipping included) supercapacitors I could find. If connectors are not suitable, I will cut them from original batteries.

I can pay few bucks more if there are better batteries. I couldn't find. Many of them were ridicolously expensive when shipping was added.

About random beeps, I will have to investigate deeper. Maybe there is a problem with power source as you mentioned. I am powering 2 mobius with a special circuit that I designed. Basically it is an Arduino nano with relay and 12V to 5V regulator. It powers on cameras when ignition is on and keeps cameras on 12h more after ignition off. Also, without ignition, it powers cameras for 2 minutes every 24 hours to charge capacitors to keep time/date. Don't have capacitors yet! But coding is for free =)

Shipping to Netherlands 42 euro..... Seriously...

Schermopname (2489).png

BTW, are the connectors the correct ones, or do you solder the original connector on the cable of the new capacitor?

@dirkzelf Although Mobius do not list capacitors in their eletoponline365 online shop, they have advised me that you can send them an email to purchase a capacitor. I'm sure the cost will be a lot less than $42!!!

New battery on the right.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    523.7 KB · Views: 13
Back