Mobius Maxi video quality is shockingly baaaadddddd

how long did you record before you disconnected from power with the capacitor installed?
also, i think i had the same problem with "immediate disconnect" set but with the previous firmware. if i remember correctly, right now it's on 3 (or 5, will check later on today with the Maxi) seconds and it works properly .
EDIT: my power off disconnect is set to immediate, but power off standby to 30 seconds (using capacitor)

Last edited:
There might be a bug with the power off standby parameter. I remember you raised that earlier. I might get a chance to check in the next few days.

For now, setting that to 30s seems to work.

There might be a bug with the power off standby parameter. I remember you raised that earlier. I might get a chance to check in the next few days.

For now, setting that to 30s seems to work.

Tried setting power off disconnect to immediate, set power off standby to 30 seconds, put capacitor back in and tried it.... Same problem, as power is disconnected, mobius switched off immediately, no beeps and no video file saved...

Any other suggestions?

With a battery fitted, you get the starting beep and it flashes while recording and beeps when disconnected from power and you can view the video file
With a capacitor fitted, you still get the starting beep and it flashes while recording. But the moment you disconnect from power, it instantly shuts without any beeps and there is no video file saved...

Any ideas? I tried two capacitors, same result, no recordings saved as I believe its not shutting down properly. With a Battery, it works fine.
The camera does not know whether it has a battery or capacitor. If the camera is shutting down and saving the last file correctly with the battery, then the firmware & your settings are not a problem. It sounds like the capacitors are not being charged.

With a capacitor installed, after you turn on the camera and start recording, do you get a green LED with the flashing amber, indicating that it is charging? Does the green LED go out after a while, indicating that it is fully charged?

Tried setting power off disconnect to immediate, set power off standby to 30 seconds, put capacitor back in and tried it.... Same problem, as power is disconnected, mobius switched off immediately, no beeps and no video file saved...

Any other suggestions?
If you post your syscfg file, someone here could test it on their Maxi with a capacitor.

All funky now, 3rd time lucky with a different capacitor.
Kudos to the seller of the item for sorting this in a professional manner.
Time to see how the picture quality compares on this replacement with a lens extension.

Picture quality on new unit is quite frankly just as bad if not worse than the faulty Maxi.
With the same settings and 2.7K resolution, there is very noticeable noise in the picture. Even when car is parked up with the camera pointed at a wall for example, the bricks are not clearly defined, there is noise warping them.
Car registration plates cannot be read while driving, unless real close up.

All the above is in good lighting and daytime.

Will try other lower resolutions and go back down to 1080 and see how they do, but at 2.7K with lens extension, the Maxi is huge dud.
Anyone here able to post up there settings to see I need to tweak them.

Also, anyone else got a lens extension cable to see if its the ***** lens cable causing the poor quality video?

well plates have to be real close on all dashcams with a conventional wide angle lens, thats just the nature of the beast.
2 car lengths is about it, maybe 3 if you are lucky and face EU plate design.

Did you test the camera without the extension cable? Were you happy with the image quality?

If you can share a single frame from your video we might be able to understand the difference between the standard camera and one with an extension cable.

It is now December and has video quality been improved with firmware since the last post?

It really is frustratingly mediocre. I was so fed up with mine I tossed it in a drawer and forgot about it for 6 months until recently I pulled it out and updated to the latest firmware. Anything over 1080p (2.7k, 4k) still uses MJPEG which looks like trash, worse than the Mobius 1 which is still in my car. Even recording in "native" 1080p there's a pronounced stair-stepping effect on straight edges indicating that it's using some line-skipping configuration versus a full sensor readout. Even in "extreme" quality mode it's only recording at around 28 Mbps (same bitrate as the original Sony RX100 released over 8 years ago) and the results are resoundingly "meh".

It seems like this is an issue of marketing, maybe this was intended as a straight-up M1 replacement without any new features but mounting user expectations made them hack in crummy 2.7k/4k support on a 1080p-native sensor. Added to the dodgy "record on external power" reliability issues I've had, I will never buy another device from this company.

Last edited:
I think the original Mobius is still worthy of purchase if it's old-tech sensor meets your needs well enough.

If I were their product advisor I'd tell them to duplicate the M1 but with updated hardware, not losing any of the functionality and adjustability it has. No need to try to reinvent the wheel and no need to snatch success from the jaws of victory by trying to greatly improve what is a nearly-perfect product ;)

Phil

Back