Mobius Maxi vs Viofo A129

A129 IMX291 is undoubtedly more sensitive than the Maxi sensor. Maxi is already showing more noise than A129 in low light. Should Maxi gain be increased to enhance brightness at the expense of even more noise?

My problem with the Maxi is that it goes dark in close quarter situations, it’s contrary to how a dashcam should behave. What we need is a separate firmware, let it behave how it currently does for action cam usage.
Would you like to see high / low light priority setting for the Maxi, similar to what is available in the M2 settings?

Thanks for all the effort put in to this tony. I have a mobius 1 that I'm thinking to move to the back and get a maxi for the front view.

I know the Maxi doesn't have wifi capability yet - would I be right in saying that the A129 wifi capability allows you to connect a phone and use an app to download videos to the phone ?

Ideally what I'd like is a camera that joins a wifi network when in range and expose itself so that a PC could access and copy the videos off via samba or similar. I have a feeling this doesn't exist!
The reason is to keep an archive of a journey (in fact a small part of it) and see if it improves/worsens over time.
Support join a Wi-Fi network can be supported in future.

Would you like to see high / low light priority setting for the Maxi, similar to what is available in the M2 settings?

Yes the Maxi is super noisy already, wasn’t saying that the Maxi should bump up the ISO. I don’t like how the image darkens when other vehicles are close by.

I don’t like how the image darkens when other vehicles are close by.
Mobius are looking into that. One option might be high/low light priority metering. Although as Falsificator & Nigel have shown, the Maxi is not using the full range of brightness values available.

Mobius are looking into that. One option might be high/low light priority metering. Although as Falsificator & Nigel have shown, the Maxi is not using the full range of brightness values available.

Hopefully they can find a balance. No point capturing just a properly exposed number plate when everything around is super dark.

No need for a separate firmware, have a dash cam specific metering mode.

As a secondary camera the way it currently functions for number plate capture is actually advantageous, but not ideal if it’s the only camera in the car.

the A129 isn't a fair comparison, the 2mp Sony sensor is always going to be better in these low light situations, would be better compared to the A119 or A119pro which are closer in specification to the Maxi
Agreed. However I gave my A119 away earlier this year. I did buy the 5MP (Fake 4K) Aukey DR02J but soon returned it.

Agreed. However I gave my A119 away earlier this year. I did buy the 5MP (Fake 4K) Aukey DR02J but soon returned it.

not saying the comparison isn't worthwhile at all, it's always worth seeing, just that when people start suggesting changes they need to appreciate that the hardware is a lot different, something that needs to be taken into consideration as to what is possible

Last edited:
Back