Mobius Maxi Wi-Fi

TonyM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
A139, M1S
Today's firmware update to V2.11 enables the Wi-Fi module in the Maxi.
The Android app is available here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mobius.mobiuscam.
EDIT: The Play Store version is currently unavailable. The .apk file can be downloaded from this page hosted by @Isoprop: http://mytempfiles.info/mobiusmaxi/

Preview of the iOS app here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mobius-maxi-wifi/id1446277460

The app is compatible only with the Mobius Maxi. It cannot be used with previous Mobius camera models such as the Mobius 1 or 2.

The app provides a very useful live video/photo preview. It allows the user to adjust all the available configuration parameters. It also offers streaming and download of files stored on the microSD card.

To enable Wi-Fi on the Maxi, long-press the Mode button when the camera is in standby. At present, the app cannot be used whilst the camera is recording. The rear red LED will flash continuously whilst the camera is waiting for a Wi-Fi connection. On your mobile device, look for the camera under Wi-Fi networks. Each Maxi has its own unique SSID. The default password is 1234567890. Depending on your device version it may request confirmation to use a Wi-Fi source with no internet access. After connecting to the camera Wi-Fi, then you can open the app and click on Connect to Mobius.

y4mvDRnNesm7O6Q0r1BX-YG6mZlTgm7sW6qwVqYx5_grtrCHfouyRLxiiI_N05RskrMuFpPKzOcoa3Jb6TfUMU_640B5lvIAGm511LVQix-F5Nfix6gtmcsxbbFMeKyKistnsR4N1KmGWvMYqUeC-SdJfOyRgU0mJrHlKMTf9EJ6uzqa6EN3mJruCIC9k97-IbFad3E64sfL9i4C9E4kuJNjg
y4mwgxSvOn50QVDykIQTo24zY40JUPXZje-PrvIILin5QFqGNMKyWJ7_mE7HqYUY91N_h_X0Rty808KOk1FdW9eMhF_lF87tT-PyPAW51_uJqefrmV8_4hJuS_EPYIkVEcc2SDa8GWJ8j8yV1_3ZBkhdfKWDTmWunhkWpfKWLEsjGNNdhWvHqRCbn7PzvPwhS9_ya5rhw_qr4jVnvQo5vE6XQ
y4mQVSxe8lkqn0cIOdbvD_AZ43YZhN3fJ2vtPthcyEgKSNJnTlVTGzSOwtIcOd2i4f8dKDhrAmigxzKn7WO8ruMk9yuAj2HXVaPvni8xqj4X9MLEiHiHU0S0l63lKMXiaqFgzq8PBoiPgKcETJb57Vk8BWRjRSKR3t-92tA_13FQM39B49IwV8IO5dQVZZa0T5bfbraaZpN7x4258Jgz5jMUg

The default portrait view shows a video preview along with the Maxi battery status and remaining recording duration. There is also a zoom option that lets you drag a slider and zoom in up to 4x to check/adjust the camera focus. This is particularly useful for adjusting focus in the car. The third photo shows the preview zoomed in 4x when using a varifocal lens.

y4mqLwfnIoM37YojG4HmikqyRFuZurUf1vqJXizFDtpc_nUhidQ60lUFW2ytRg5qRh_7t_0Sxd-wsIEDszRxkuAle7mjwIVi5kLGlJOjdf1U77CDC4o3-KicRVaRbfaoxfrE7h6Stho9cVaXXjdZbYdduJ7Hjq9Nzy4BhwuHrJbfyJbFUWSlQPOk-m_dIc3J0aj4HwdGo1d3uxH9KOVPpsFcQ
y4mLxEkm_nMitA1TyWvtyrKiZ0Vx7Le-f4ivjlQXOvxIrzojTXIWAvY0UEoTaTDV9sNapjJ9jg0_pEF-JmlzouEn8mjSCCLL_4_USWp1E1VEav32PiOlInruuBzsDFBDngRLQKv19VYJPrQGb9UVm8Q6rmnLkL8M3KPNgfdh4HIv1Q6TtZqjq-s25PCdoHC2wiUZxahC8t8ul4wrk4UESo6OA
y4ma96vMOlNs_kjLyQqcDkswB8ScUCIyP6O2O0-PXd5d_6Io4RdnRsugP9nvub9J7COjKefjNJO2pAeDyzTVkEnqgQ_NZUgJ9uzI3FwPEYtfhXcaxRRSWs3-JpScjZsR3AjSXQ-D2-zkLA57l7oljzYCDiOqWdV7aIVHoaYwyr-bDrfJO3R6yjITNxVh5GEZ3HWo0v1pNORux6kV6QAwlCDVg

Below the video preview screen is a rotating toggle between Video Mode 1, Video Mode 2, Photo Mode and Multimedia. The red central button is the record button. If pressed whilst in either video mode, a recording will commence but the camera connection will be lost. It is not possible to record video whilst maintaining the WiFi connection. Photos can be captured without losing the WiFi connection.

The Multimedia page lets you browse and play video and photo files stored on the microSD card, or download them to your device. I managed a download speed around 20Mbps - other devices may vary. I was able to play a 60Mbps 2.7k video file over Wi-Fi without any issue, so perhaps the camera reduces the resolution/bitrate on the fly to achieve this?

The default Setting page shows the most commonly-used camera settings. Tap the Advanced toggle to show the full list of settings.

y4mg_AEkoABf1xNye5NYtdaYZpB9aiBxoV3PeAz2Oyj2nxvWtuTffuxhZmTlz8zYE4dYuWd-xIoKxpPlTGI7TOX-NZ-9i4Y_8ywXLTiIzXWm2q3g9RhndNIprXxC_6uILvnBir3PwDCx4oR9Bgo1EPbP2sbJSwlxuS95t8pGDcJkC-jt4O1sqyREBvvS2QylReMDpJY8h2QsvHT52G4iBXLmw
y4m7OxLBXS3N5-kBqYsdtF4pqopFIt9UrFAo7RZyhDN8xqMniafeGJNzKM7zl5BD32MqTATGRFxGydlrQ1dxkXzoRCltkc9gKqETzTtWlfSsUPnVfxsYZKs-9HI10OoNIeFDM4gtMJmgIUb4Jfp5dzwzi3eZq9nLspA2aqKZO3vJDrSHW5C3UDwlHOjvnITl_VP-F96jC5IzrK5RqaX3li4rw
y4mm5v-4jM51NjCgCe67GCyO6Re1lcKNt545KF3IA4aUF-4N6ohkggLfWkw8MYm9rHGhjF80NwWF9H12L-lhkIuCtMaBsv9UmlA00fC1AHEF2Ww2LaqmiSjIpW20OGfoGdAGHIgewOoXhfnxEUQ-IB9LP15EoSIUoGh8KA32G5etWlNsivrhXwt-ydqmvs35TCdCoU0Zz2Z61mQseGeRzZkIA

Last edited:
I have found that for reliable app use I need to 'forget' the app each time I disconnect, then re-submit the password each time I use it. This is no different to the apps I have used on other similar Wi-Fi enabled cameras (A129, B1W, GitUp F1 etc.)

Probably something to do with your phone, I've not had to forget and re-enter the password with the A129.

Good timing on the update. Was planning on switching the stock lens with the 12mm in a day to two, this makes it much easier.

Probably something to do with your phone, I've not had to forget and re-enter the password with the A129.
OK, thanks. I'll remove that bit from my post above.

it is a reasonably common problem and success levels depend on phone and Android version, what phone do you have, and which OS version?

it is a reasonably common problem and success levels depend on phone and Android version, what phone do you have, and which OS version?

6s on 12.11, no issues with the previous version either and Moto G5S Plus on 7.1.1

6s on 12.11, no issues with the previous version either and Moto G5S Plus on 7.1.1
iOS is a lot better at this than a lot of Android versions, ironically some of the older versions of Android are less problematic than the later ones, Android 9 is finicky when it comes to this, hoping to see some improvement on that soon

My Google Pixel is on Android 9. I think I have the same problem with my Moto G4 on v7, but it's been a while since I checked.

I did test that the app works on my Android 9, 7.0 and 5.0.2 phones, plus an android 5.0 tablet.

I have android 4.42 on 3 devices. The app will not work for me. Could the app be made compatible with 4.42?

Today's firmware update to V2.11 enables the Wi-Fi module in the Maxi. This is accompanied by the release of a Maxi Wi-Fi Android app available from the Google Play Store. The iOS app has finished testing and is being prepared for release via the Apple app store - LINK to follow.

The app is compatible only with the Mobius Maxi. It cannot be used with previous Mobius camera models such as the Mobius 1 or 2.

Msetup crashes (more than not) when I try to check for a new firmware version. The entire window with "TOOLS" just goes away. Could this be related to the change in servers?
A few times Msetup did not crash but did not find firmware 2.11.

Last edited:
I have android 4.42 on 3 devices. The app will not work for me. Could the app be made compatible with 4.42?

unlikely to happen I would think

Msetup crashes (more than not) when I try to check for a new firmware version. The entire window with "TOOLS" just goes away. Could this be related to the change in servers?
A few times Msetup did not crash but did not find firmware 2.11.

most likely due to the server issues they're having, they seem to be doing ad-hoc distribution via email at the moment, maybe once someone gets a copy they can upload it to a reliable host somewhere

mSetup FW update will not work yet while there are server issues.

If anyone wants a copy of the FW now please ask via PM and I'll send you a link to download. You will have to update the FW manually. After that you can adjust settings in mSetup as usual.

This will be a temporary link until the RCG file and mSetup update are working.

Tom Frank at RCG has posted a temporary copy of the new FW.

FW : Maxi FW V2.11

iOS App : Not available yet

Manual FW installation is similar to the normal instructions, except the Maxi FW file is named "FWTP2C.BRN".

Update: the iPhone app link shown earlier does not work so please do not try to use it. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Last edited:
Hell yeah I've been looking forward to this! Can't wait to get it all set up tonight.

I've realised that with my stealth installation that my SD card extension cable is causing the majority of the interference that my car's GPS module is experiencing. Now that we can download files through WiFi, I can get rid of it completely! Also not having to take my trim apart just to update settings on the camera is a big plus.

since iOS app is not out yet, is there a way to get the Android App out of google play store on my Dell PC? or... what Tablet can I purchase that supports installing Google play store and to receive the Mobius App and Mobius App being capable to run on said tablet? thanks

Almost any tablet you can buy will run the app. I've tested it on my kids old android tablet running 5.0 and it's fine. Older devices running KitKat 4.4 seem to be the limit.

The iOS app has finished testing. Mobius are simply waiting for Apple to approve it for the app store.

Thanks, got it working via the manual update, on a Motorola G4. Had to turn data off on the phone.

Thanks, got it working via the manual update, on a Motorola G4. Had to turn data off on the phone.
Interesting. I tested it on my G4 but it has data turned off permanently, so I didn't test with data on.

That's normal with that phone. (for me) if use any wifi apps, like for a quadcopter, have to turn off the data. It's an amazon g4 play, which will be shifted to 'other' use when my new phone shows up. (Getting too annoying and clunky for daily use) :(

Is there a way to download the APK of the maxi's android app? I have android 4.42 and am unable to download the app to see if it might work for me (or not).

Just saw this, what better reason to get the mobius tool of the trade installed on the new computer, and grab the maxi in my windscreen after my drive a little later on today. (y)

Couldn't wait :giggle:
App are working fine on my UMI Z with Android 7.1.1, don't even have to disable phone data which i have to do with pretty much any other wifi camera app.
Using app i just tweaked my focus a little (y)

Back