Mobius Maxi Wi-Fi

The new FW and Android app are on the way - maybe today. If Tom Frank doesn't upload the FW to RCG and if I get time I'll upload the FW myself.
could you share your impressions on the new stable app and firmware?

Tom Frank has posted the latest Maxi FW version 2.26 at RCGroups, along with a comprehensive list of all the updates which I have copied below :

Finally a host of refinements to the Maxi FW has been released. Many changes are to improve existing function reliability, but there are several camera and WIFI (and APP) new functions and bug fixes as follows:
MOBIUS MAXI FW V2.26 Changes

CAMERA FUNCTION CHANGES

• Added H.264 codec option to USB PC (webcam) mode
  • Added Vertical/Horizontal Image Mirror options to Image Rotation function
  • Improved Time Lapse Photos reliability
  • Improved External Power Auto Record reliability when power source is a USB data connection.
  • Improved Power Off Disconnect reliability
  • Improved USB connection reliability
  • Added fail safe requirement for external USB power connection before FW can be loaded (active with FW V2.26 or higher installed)

CAMERA BUG FIXES
  • Fixed 2.7k video dropped frame bug
  • Fixed bug in Motion Detect mode that prevented camera from shutting down when the memory card was full

WIFI CHANGES
  • Improved playback of videos from WiFi APPs
  • Improved reliability of WiFi APP to prevent connection sometimes causing causing camera lock-up
  • Added ability to keep WiFi connection while recording videos (exception: WiFi not available with 4k and 2.7k video recording)
  • Added WiFi functions for Auto-On and Keep WiFi On while recording
  • Added ability to Start/Stop recording via camera shutter button when connected to WiFi
  • Added ability to turn WiFi On via long press of camera Mode button when recording (recording stops before WIFI connects)
  • Added fail safe function that prevents Long Press of Mode Button from entering WiFi mode if power by internal batterywith low charge level (rear LED blinks 5 rapid flashes)

WIFI BUG FIXES
  • Fixed Android APP bug that could cause camera lock-up when connected in Photo mode and camera shutter button is pressed.
  • Fixed bug in both APPs that caused inaccurate Video Mode to be displayed when the APP mode selector ring was moved from Photo to Video mode
Along with this you should download Isoprop's updated (to V 5.0.5.3) mSetup Windows PC utility program which includes additional user instructions where needed in it's included HELP file Tab section. The separate downloadable User Guide from Isoprop's site will be similarly updated when time permits.

For smartphone WiFi users, the corresponding APP for Android and iOS smartphones have also been updated and submitted to their respective web APP stores for download. If they are not yet there, they should be shortly.

Fingers crossed the new Android app allows downloading in the background!
Sadly this has not yet been possible, although Mobius are still looking into a solution.

The app will now keep the device awake whilst it is downloading.

thanks, where can I download the android app?

not there yet, i've tried deleting the Play Store app cache,but still couldn't find it. will try again tomorrow

@TonyM I can't find any download links for the new fw / App in the link you provided above or here http://mytempfiles.info/mobiusmaxi/
mSetup doesn't find a new fw as well. am I missing something?
MSetup should find the file at RCGroups automatically, but there appears to be an issue with that right now.

In the meantime, if you are happy to do a manual update you can always find the latest FW file at RCGroups Maxi Post#3

okay, already downloaded the new fw but i assume the Maxi won't connect with the Android 1.0.2 (beta) app I'm using right now

okay, already downloaded the new fw but i assume the Maxi won't connect with the Android 1.0.2 (beta) app I'm using right now
The new version is 1.0.3. Not much has changed since 1.0.2, but I can't say whether it will work.

Tom Frank has posted the latest Maxi FW version 2.26 at RCGroups, along with a comprehensive list of all the updates
In addition to the changes that Tom mentioned, I will add that although both 'auto WiFi on' and 'auto record on' can be set at the save time, only one can occur.

If both are set to on and the camera is connected to external power (e.g. as a dashcam) then auto record takes priority. WiFi is not automatically turned on.

If both are set to on and the camera is turned on manually, wifi is enabled (in standby) and the camera does not record automatically.

In addition to the changes that Tom mentioned, I will add that although both 'auto WiFi on' and 'auto record on' can be set at the save time, only one can occur.

If both are set to on and the camera is connected to external power (e.g. as a dashcam) then auto record takes priority. WiFi is not automatically turned on.

If both are set to on and the camera is turned on manually, wifi is enabled (in standby) and the camera does not record automatically.
Because it makes sense.

Because it makes sense.
I agree with you. Not everyone will, though.

Some people will want to auto record at the highest bitrate, and have continuous WiFi with live streaming video.

could you share your impressions on the new stable app and firmware?
Personally I don't use WiFi on the Maxi, except for testing purposes and to check camera alignment.

I find that it works well for changing settings, and Live view is useful for aiming the camera. I can even use it for focusing my varifocal lens in-situ in the car.

The app is stable enough, provided that the user doesn't start pressing too many buttons at the same time which seems to confuse it.

The new version is 1.0.3. Not much has changed since 1.0.2, but I can't say whether it will work.
still can't find the new app on the store or anywhere still

As a short-term fix until the Maxi Android App v1.0.3 becomes available on the Google Play Store, the .apk file may be downloaded from my Dropbox account.

Edit: The Maxi Android app is now available in the App store

Last edited:
There should be an option in android app to disable that annoying start recording/stop sound. It is very disturbing.
Also I was expecting to be able to decide on video wifi stream quality so I could watch it from distance.The wifi is breaking the live
video, stuttering, from 50 cm. That stream should be 720x480 or so. Beside that, great improvements.

The Maxi Android app is now available in the App store

Back