Mobius Mini and supercap? Anyone tried it before? DON'T have to anymore, it WORKS!!

dirkzelf

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Mobius Mini and supercap? Anyone tried it before?

I didn't want to wait for it, and took of the cable and connector from the battery that has swollen up like a Michelin man, and soldered them to a Mobius 1 supercap.

IMG_20190812_110920127.jpg

Guess what, it records up to ALMOST the very last second.... :D

Date and time kept as well, don't know for how long though...... yet.... :unsure:

I haven't calculated, but counting down from 5 to 0 the image was saved up to where I said 1 in full .... so I'm guessing half a second missing or so.

Now, anyone saying it wont work, shut up NOW. Hahaha..... :censored:

It doesn't fit the housing of course, but who cares.....!!!

Anyone contact with the mobius team to ask for one that fits?

APARENTYLY IT LOOSES DATE AND TIME WHEN YOU ACCIDENTALLY PRESS THE POWER ON BUTTON ONCE.... :(

If they used a small capacitor that would fit inside the case, I doubt it would hold enough charge to shut down properly. I can ask though....

There is decent room, maybe they can use flats?

APARENTYLY IT LOOSES DATE AND TIME WHEN YOU ACCIDENTALLY PRESS THE POWER ON BUTTON ONCE.... :(
Probably used up that last bit of charge trying to turn on. I expect a standard Mobius would behave the same, trying to run it on a capacitor without an external power supply.

Or we can use a hammer to flatten them.... :LOL:

Probably used up that last bit of charge trying to turn on. I expect a standard Mobius would behave the same, trying to run it on a capacitor without an external power supply.

It would need a f/w mod where you can choose to ensure the power on button doesn't work w/o external power connected....

It would need a f/w mod where you can choose to ensure the power on button doesn't work w/o external power connected....
Or a FW option requiring a long press to turn on the camera (as the M1 has) to avoid turning it on by accident.

Or a FW option requiring a long press to turn on the camera (as the M1 has) to avoid turning it on by accident.

Like the idea..... pls ask...

Although it already records almost to the last second, getting all the way up recorded to the last split second needs this setting:

Schermopname (2487).png

Although it already records almost to the last second, getting all the way up recorded to the last split second needs this setting:
1565706902820.png
No, you already have that option in your Mini FW. What you need to enable correct function with a capacitor, which is currently lacking in the Mini FW, is this option:
1565706870106.png

No, you already have that option in your Mini FW. What you need to enable correct function with a capacitor, which is currently lacking in the Mini FW, is this option:
View attachment 47963

I have a dim memory of some mention that Power-off disconnect "immediate" wasn't necessary for the Maxi with a super-cap and if so I assume that would apply to the Mini. Or did I imagine this? :panda:

Speaking of the Maxi and super-caps, will Eletoponline365 sell them at this point or are they still refusing to ship them? Nobody seems to be listing them that I am aware of.

1565706870106.png

I don't understand, WHAT do I already have in my Mini? Setting the Power - Off Standby to OFF, records just a little bit more to the end, that's all I'm saying. Of course the IMMEDIATE shut down option is lacking.

I wonder if it also records the same way when no supercap is connected. After all we only need it to save the file and date/time. If you dont need date/time, and the Mini saves every file instantly while recording, then you don't even need supercaps...

Last edited:
F1.8 lens for Mobius Mini...??!?

Should do better in low light than the B lens with F2.0?

I have a dim memory of some mention that Power-off disconnect "immediate" wasn't necessary for the Maxi with a super-cap and if so I assume that would apply to the Mini. Or did I imagine this? :panda:

Speaking of the Maxi and super-caps, will Eletoponline365 sell them at this point or are they still refusing to ship them? Nobody seems to be listing them that I am aware of.
The Maxi capacitor maintains enough charge to keep the camera going for a few seconds after losing external power, so the shutdown can be set to 'immediate' or '2 seconds'. I prefer 2 seconds, partly because it helps to give an extra delay in the boot process.

I think they will ship them individually, inside the shell of a USB charger or other small device.

The Maxi capacitor maintains enough charge to keep the camera going for a few seconds after losing external power

the Maxi has a capacitor built in....?

Back