Mobius Mini and supercap? Anyone tried it before? DON'T have to anymore, it WORKS!!

the Maxi has a capacitor built in....?

It can accept a super-capacitor and I think they sell them with one already installed but for some odd reason Mobius refuses to ship individual super-caps, claiming it is against "regulations", which it isn't. Other companies ship individual loose super-caps all the time.

Edit: Here in the US only the really large size super-caps are under postal regulation. They must be shipped in a state of discharge and I think the contacts need to be isolated and covered.

I don't have a Maxi (yet, but you know where this is going...), but I was under the impression it was like with the Mobius 1, buy one with battery or supercap. Actually I bought battery and supercap seperately afterwards too... from eletoponline I believe.

I wonder if it also records the same way when no supercap is connected. After all we only need it to save the file and date/time. If you dont need date/time, and the Mini saves every file instantly while recording, then you don't even need supercaps...
The Mini will need a power source to close the current file properly when you turn off the external power, either a battery or a capacitor. Without either of these, it will simply turn off immediately without saving the file

ok, thanks. caps stay on then.... :(

I don't have a Maxi (yet, but you know where this is going...), but I was under the impression it was like with the Mobius 1, buy one with battery or supercap. Actually I bought battery and supercap seperately afterwards too... from eletoponline I believe.

The Mobius 1 super-caps were and are highly available from many sources, not so with the Maxi

The Mobius 1 super-caps were and are highly available from many sources, not so with the Maxi

I guess it's not the same then? i.e. supercap for the 1 does not fit the Maxi?

I guess it's not the same then? i.e. supercap for the 1 does not fit the Maxi?
It's a different plug, not that that would stop you from your DIY project.

The Maxi capacitor comprises 4No 'cells' vs 2No in the Mobius 1 & 2. I understand it's a higher capacity since the Maxi has a higher power requirement.

No, the one for the Maxi has greater capacity and is larger. I believe is has 3 caps in the module. @TonyM can describe it.

but if you have a sc for the 1, could it work on the maxi? Even with lesser capacity?

super_capacitor_mobius12_wm-300x300.jpg

super_capacitor_mobius_maxi_wm-300x300.jpg

https://www.minidvcameras.co.uk/product-category/spares-and-parts/batteries/

right... Webbex, forgot all about them..

Mobius refuses to ship individual super-caps, claiming it is against "regulations", which it isn't. Other companies ship individual loose super-caps all the time.
some carriers in China won't take them as they think it's a type of battery, they don't understand the difference and refuse to pickup, have come across this same issue also

some carriers in China won't take them as they think it's a type of battery, they don't understand the difference and refuse to pickup, have come across this same issue also

I see; I wasn't aware of that. I've ordered individual super-capacitors from China several times with no problems and I see dozens of Chinese companies selling them on eBay and elsewhere so I've assumed it must be acceptable to ship them.
And as I mentioned above, if they are discharged they are essentially inert, but I guess not everyone is familiar with how they function.

I even had DHL refusing to pickup our stock once as the driver thought they were batteries, had to get our local DHL office to call China and set them straight

Idea's, tips? 6.5mm thickness sounds ok.....? Battery seems around that thickness also....

The new 4 cell Maxi super-capacitor module appears to be made from the same super-caps as the two cell Mobius 1 module. It shouldn't be too difficult to combine the cells in series from two Mobius 1 super-cap modules into a single one for use on your Mini.

Yeah I have that exactly now... check the pictures. But it's too thick for the Mini's housing .... 8.5 mm don't fit, the round flats surely fit, the point is, can I just solder the cable with connector on the the + and - and connect.....?!?

Last edited:
It's really hard to see that in your photos.

Those button cell caps on Aliexpress are the first and only coin cell type super-caps I've seen that have that capacity. Back when I was experimenting with super-capacitors I looked everywhere but every button cell cap I found that would fit was under-powered. At that price these certainly seem worth a try.

Back