Mobius Mini and supercap? Anyone tried it before? DON'T have to anymore, it WORKS!!

I've been thinking that too, maybe I should let them charge overnight... Thing is, I only have one plug for the mini, and have resoldered the leads multiple times, but I think it's worth it anyway. Let you guys know.

also got news on the halfsie, not enough juice when fully charged.... power off, no save files... which is sad because the double doesn't really fit...

trying the 5.5V 5F now (the double cell).....

also got news on the halfsie, not enough juice when fully charged.... power off, no save files... which is sad because the double doesn't really fit...

trying the 5.5V 5F now (the double cell).....

Yeah, it would need both. But I think you already knew that. Maybe time to work some of that "dirkmagic" you were talking about earlier?

OMG.... again?!?!? Hahahaha alright, alright.... let me think about it.... it doesnt fit even without insulation, so, it needs to be outside the housing, so that gets us nowhere, since I already had that..... hmm..

But with a flat button battery it may not be too bad to have one of the caps mounted on the outside of the case. Paint it black and it could look like a feature! :D

I've thought about an opening in the top cover of the housing, so the supercap gets a little more space, and it might look like a heat sink....

I've thought about an opening in the top cover of the housing, so the supercap gets a little more space, and it might look like a heat sink....

That might be cool. Can you buy spare Mini cases like you can with the other Mobius cams in the event this plan doesn't work out?

That might be cool. Can you buy spare Mini cases like you can with the other Mobius cams in the event this plan doesn't work out?

I guess.... not sure. Will ask tomorrow, the misses drags me a.f.k. ..... "off to bed dirk..." "YES I MEAN NOW..." :ROFLMAO::sleep:

OK, even the double supercap charges to full (had it charging all night long), green led goes out, but still after power taken off from usb, there is no closing-sequence, so the leds simply go out, without file saving, like it does without a supercap or battery. :(

The cap does not charge higher than 4.05V.....

I am using the correct supercaps right? 5.4V 5F...?

Also noticed date/time are not kept, they're running behind....

Last edited:
would be nice if we could save the files to the card with numbers instead of dates/times in the name..... especially if we don't use battery or caps .... we know we can save the files even without caps, but time/date is gone.... the file order is shot also...

Or a FW option requiring a long press to turn on the camera (as the M1 has) to avoid turning it on by accident.

I just took out the power button.... :D

Still can press the button inside with a paperclip if you have to....

IMG_20190830_131630499.jpg

I am using the correct supercaps right? 5.4V 5F...?

sorry, it's 5.5V 5F I'm using, should be OK?

I took the circuit board from the battery and connected it between supercap and Mini, no file saves here either, only the whole 1 minute clips saved, as soon as power goes off, current recording lost.

I'm thinking the supercaps aren't exactly top quality??

IMG_20190830_145836804.jpg

IMG_20190830_145852580.jpg

As I mentioned several weeks ago in this thread, unless the camera's firmware is specifically designed to accommodate a super-capacitor, which the Mobius Mini isn't, then you will always have problems getting it to work properly to save the last file.

When I tried this years ago with the GT680W I used 10F super-caps which had enough capacity to save the last file (usually) but other problems cropped up over time like randomly corrupted files. The 10F capacitors could usually keep the camera powered up for at least several seconds after the power was cut. I have the feeling that the 5F capacitors you are using in the Mini don't have enough spare capacity to sustain saving the last file through shut-down without the proper firmware to manage the process.

Last edited:
Well, with the supercap from the Mobius One, it works like a charm... But... My BMW R1200RT disconnects auxiliairy power while starting the engine.... sigh... Mini stops immediately and does not restart... Neither does Mobius one..... Nice going Dirk.... Hahaha

Well, with the supercap from the Mobius One, it works like a charm... But... My BMW R1200RT disconnects auxiliairy power while starting the engine.... sigh... Mini stops immediately and does not restart... Neither does Mobius one..... Nice going Dirk.... Hahaha
you need something like the power supplies that Innov makes that has a built in delay so it doesn't send power until after the bike starts

Back