Mobius Motion Detection Install

riruiz_88

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Mobius C2
Hello,
What I would like to do is setup the front and rear cameras to be able to record motions without having the car turned on. At the moment I only have one front camera, hard wired to the car battery through a relay to only turn on once the car is in On/Crank mode. The relay consists of:
-Constant 12V
-Switched constant 12V
-On/Crank 12V
-Ground

I do not want to resort to having the cameras record 24/7, as this will reduce the life of the battery and charge. Also which setting would be best to prevent nuisance recording, Mobius sensitivity set to Normal or High?? (what do you suggest?)

Anyone to help me out on this?

Motion detection is simply not suitable for dash cams. The problem is that when used outdoors there can be many false triggers or times when you expect it to record and then find out that it didn't. While there are some cameras that buffer the footage just before motion detection is activated by a G-sensor the Mobius C2 does not work that way. Motion detection works best in an indoor static environment such as a warehouse, retail space or office at night where the only motion the camera detects is the motion you actually want to record. Outdoors, shooting from inside a car for parking mode, all kinds of unexpected things can trigger recording such as wind blowing through leaves in trees, clouds moving in the sky, birds flying by or pedestrians or animals walking past your vehicle......or whatever. You will never find the right sensitivity that will work for all situations.

As far as using motion detection while you are driving, forget it. There are countless posts here on DCT from new dash cam owners who report that their camera suddenly isn't working properly or simply stopped recording when they didn't expect it to and then when one of us more experienced members here on DCT asks that knowing question, it turns out that the person with the problem was attempting to use motion detection while driving.

If you want to record 24/7 (which dash cams are not really suited for, but it can be done) it would be best to run off a suitably large capacity battery in full time loop mode.

Last edited:
Thank you for your most detailed explanation. Initially I wanted to run my mobius dash cam in the event damage to my car was done if someone were to "hit and run" my car.
I have no plan in running motion detection while driving, I thought it would be plain pointless.

There's nothing to recommend motion detect with Mobius. It takes about the same amount of power to do that as to record full-time, and there's a delay for the cam to boot up and record after it detects motion. Capacitor-equipped versions are better for this as there can be no battery damage from heat or ovecharge. I have had mine run 3 days continuously but that is not recommended and of course it only recorded what the card capacity allowed so the early part was lost.

If you really need motion detect you need a cam with pre-buffering which is better designed for that purpose. The Mobius is a great cam, but not for every purpose.

Phil

Thank you for your most detailed explanation. Initially I wanted to run my mobius dash cam in the event damage to my car was done if someone were to "hit and run" my car.
I have no plan in running motion detection while driving, I thought it would be plain pointless.

Yeah, another consideration is that there is no convenient method for switching the Mobius from motion detect to full time video recording without a computer (or phone) so if you wanted to record in motion detect while parked you would need to dedicate a Mobius to that task alone.

Yeah, another consideration is that there is no convenient method for switching the Mobius from motion detect to full time video recording without a computer (or phone) so if you wanted to record in motion detect while parked you would need to dedicate a Mobius to that task alone.

it's still not convenient but couldn't you just set regular mode as mode A and motion detect as mode B, would have to change it each time though which would quickly become a hassle

oh well that rules that out

Yeah, the same question came up just the other day in the support thread.

One of these days somebody should create a sticky with all the answers to the most common Mobius questions.

In fact, each major popular camera such as the SG9665GC for instance, could benefit from a FAQ sticky.

In fact, each major popular camera such as the SG9665GC for instance, could benefit from a FAQ sticky.

yeah I agree, even some people don't make the effort to look for them it can make life easier for those that answer a lot of questions to just be able to provide the link, will be adding some FAQ's into the user manuals soon and should probably repeat that stuff on here as well

A lot of people don't seem to want to be bothered with searching for their issue or question before posting or even starting a whole new thread identical to one that already exists. In some more actively moderated forums there is often someone who keeps after things like that, reminding people to search before posting and then moving and consolidating posts and threads to avoid too many similar questions in too many similar threads. DCT is a small forum in the scheme of things so it hasn't been too big a problem as yet but as it grows something like that may become more necessary.

I did not know that if Motion Detection is selected, that it would still be on Motion Detection when the unit has started up from an external power source. Thank you for clearing that up for me. And I too did think of selecting video mode 2 as a means of still having the detection. Could be something the new mobius cams could incorporate later on. It's no big issue though, I don't drive a nice car according to the general public anyway hahaha

Back