Mobius not receiving power from car after hardwired

fenix8o0

Reaction score
Country
United States
I hardwired my Mobius v2.41 with an add-a-fuse to the ACC line and also changed out the battery with a supercap. When plugged in and car started the camera wont turn on manually or automatically.

I have a 12V-5V converter and the voltage from the fuse is measuring ~14V steady.

Add-a-fuse
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00I0MWPXU
Converter-
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00MH4ZVHO
Supercap-
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00JG7CRYU
I was all excited to receive all the accessories to make this camera work for me, but the camera doesn't even turn on. Please help.

Is there anything else I can try in the meantime?
Welcome to DCT. I suggest that you remove Mobius from the car & connect it to a power bank or smartphone or tablet charger. If it automatically starts recording, then the problem is with the car converter or wiring.

I'm assuming that you have used mSetup to configure Mobius for loop-recording & immediate power-off disconnect.

Welcome to DCT. I suggest that you remove Mobius from the car & connect it to a power bank or smartphone or tablet charger. If it automatically starts recording, then the problem is with the car converter or wiring.

I'm assuming that you have used mSetup to configure Mobius for loop-recording & immediate power-off disconnect.
Works with a power bank so it's not the Mobius. Doubt it's the split so it must be the converter. Suggestions on testing voltage at output without the tester?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

double check your work, got a different Mini USB device you can plug in to see if it powers up?

I've had a dud add-a-circuit in the past so I always check every part of them now with a multimeter, could be worth doing?

Also, is that inline fuse worth double checking?

I've had a dud add-a-circuit in the past so I always check every part of them now with a multimeter, could be worth doing?

Also, is that inline fuse worth double checking?
checked the fuse and add-a-circuit with a continuity meter and they are good.

Is there a way to test the output voltage from USB without the load from the camera?

checked the fuse and add-a-circuit with a continuity meter and they are good.

Is there a way to test the output voltage from USB without the load from the camera?

Just put a multimeter on the two leads coming from the converter and see if you are getting 5 volts from it.

Many of those inexpensive 12V to 5V converters have a poor reputation for reliability. Some (identical looking to the one you have) have been known to fry cameras.

Read THIS discussion to get an idea of what I am referring to.

I was able to measure the voltage with paper clips and it came out to 5.6V. Is that too high for the Mobius?

Could it be this one?

"Circuit Board Revision - A new V3 circuit board has been released with an over-voltage protection IC added at the USB plug which will immediately disconnect external power if the applied voltage is between 5.6V and 28V (nominal). This will protect the camera from virtually all of the situations where greater than standard 5V USB power (e.g. 12+ V from a 3S lipo flight pack or FPV TX buss) has been accidentally connected to the camera. This protection IC is ahead of all other camera circuitry, so there will be no indication from the camera when this circuit cuts power. There simply will be no power from the external source. If the camera was already operating on it's internal battery when an over-voltage external supply is connected, it will continue recording on it's internal battery with no help or re-charging available from the external source."

Could it be this one?

"Circuit Board Revision - A new V3 circuit board has been released with an over-voltage protection IC added at the USB plug which will immediately disconnect external power if the applied voltage is between 5.6V and 28V (nominal). This will protect the camera from virtually all of the situations where greater than standard 5V USB power (e.g. 12+ V from a 3S lipo flight pack or FPV TX buss) has been accidentally connected to the camera. This protection IC is ahead of all other camera circuitry, so there will be no indication from the camera when this circuit cuts power. There simply will be no power from the external source. If the camera was already operating on it's internal battery when an over-voltage external supply is connected, it will continue recording on it's internal battery with no help or re-charging available from the external source."

that could very well be the issue, best to try a better quality power supply and see if it behaves as expected

hey guys.

I just ordered the same setup as the person having issue in this post and i can say its the v3 cameras causing the issues with those power supplies. The new version 3 cameras will not work with that power supply. But if you have a v2 mobius camera with a circle on top for the power led instead of the rectangle , it will work just fine with those power supplies. The mobius with a circle on top is v2 the mobius camera with a rectangle ontop is v3. I learned this by a whole day of frustration trying to figure out why these stupid new v3 cameras wouldnt work when my v2 mobius camera works just fine using those power supplies hard wired to the car. SO a quick fix is to find a v2 camera if you already have the wires ran and you dont want to mess with it again. I ran 2 of those hardwired power supply kits from a add a fuse to the front and back on my sisters car and couldnt get the v3 cameras to power on . I then took my v2 camera out of my wrx and brought it to my sisters car and it powered right on. So i know the v2 camera will work .

Please share this info.

I just ordered the same setup as the person having issue in this post and i can say its the v3 cameras causing the issues with those power supplies. The new version 3 cameras will not work with that power supply...
Welcome to DCT. Your new Mobius contains voltage protection circuitry, & your old Mobius doesn't. Your V3 is telling you that the power supply is unstable, & exceeding the 5.6V cutoff. Your V2 has no such protection, so the power supply is probably killing the camera, slowly :(

hello .

I took apart the power supplies today that are the same as what the person bought off of amazon above and I measured the voltage from them. They are sopost to be 5v , but they are outputting 5.75 v. Not good. This company is selling these saying they are 5v. These are defective and will blow the cameras using them. I replaced the power supplies with a new variable voltage power supply so i could set them at 5v so that the v3 cameras will work.

Here is proof showing the voltage from the power supplies.

Attachments

• powercam2_50.jpg
    powercam2_50.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 19
Back