Mobius or Viofo A119

For international parcels, as per my experience, USPS's tracking sucks!

I received two parcels via USPS recently, both delivered within a week but the tracking still shows that they haven't left the US, many days after being delivered. Very slow and inaccurate updation.
It is not much better in the US either.

Updation should be almost realtime like most reputable courier companies. Indian SpeedPost does a much better job, even for overseas packets. Very surprising!
In my experience USPS tracking is woefully lacking, and I have found them to be very unreliable. Some of my colleagues have the opposite experience though. UPS is my preferred shipper when security and time sensitive deliveries are required.

In my experience USPS tracking is woefully lacking, and I have found them to be very unreliable. Some of my colleagues have the opposite experience though. UPS is my preferred shipper when security and time sensitive deliveries are required.

I think it's possible that people's experience with USPS varies regionally and it can also depend on whether you are rural or urban. I generally have had positive experiences within US borders. On the other hand, I have had so many disastrous experiences with UPS I avoid them at all costs! You don't even want to get me going on it. For security and time sensitive deliveries I usually turn to FedEx and have never been let down.

I think it's possible that people's experience with USPS varies regionally and it can also depend on whether you are rural or urban. I generally have had positive experiences within US borders. On the other hand, I have had so many disastrous experiences with UPS I avoid them at all costs! You don't even want to get my going on it. For security and time sensitive deliveries I usually turn to FedEx and have never been let down.
As I mentioned a lot of people in my profession have an opposing opinion as to which is best and most reliable. I believe you have a valid point about regional differences though. FedEx and UPS are on a par with each other in my view, but I have had excellent results from UPS. In my business time of delivery is absolutely critical, and UPS has been outstanding in this regard, irregardless of what state or jurisdiction it is being delivered.

I had the option of using DHL which I know is fairly reliable but the cost of courier was almost the same as the price of the dashcam & I thought if I get a tracking number I would be able to trace the parcel if something happened.
Courier would have cost me $80.00 which doesn't sound a lot but convert that to rands, you are looking at over R1000.00

As I mentioned a lot of people in my profession have an opposing opinion as to which is best and most reliable. I believe you have a valid point about regional differences though. FedEx and UPS are on a par with each other in my view, but I have had excellent results from UPS. In my business time of delivery is absolutely critical, and UPS has been outstanding in this regard, irregardless of what state or jurisdiction it is being delivered.

FedEx are a nightmare for us to deal with, DHL were absolutely the worst, until such time as I got an account with them, since getting an account they've been outstanding to deal with

FedEx are a nightmare for us to deal with, DHL were absolutely the worst, until such time as I got an account with them, since getting an account they've been outstanding to deal with
My first choice for a domestic courier is Postnet, then DHL.
I haven't used either of them internationally though.

I do not believe any of them are totally reliable. UPS is my choice because they are more consistent than the others. However, often I will utilize my in house delivery to deliver critical documents depending on the destination. Expensive way to do it, but at least delivery on time is guaranteed.

Service depends on the local people. Here where I am, UPS sucks badly unless you rent a box at one of their stores, while USPS always delivers and tracks very well. FedEx is average and DHL is variable. Within the US I've discovered that "Priority Mail" is very reliable and their "flat rate" envelopes and boxes can often make that the cheapest method, plus they can be tracked too :) Ordering direct from China can be iffy without paying extra for tracking or premium shipping services which can make the price savings you get from them disappear :rolleyes:

You can't fix the system anywhere but you can and should choose whoever does best where you're at ;)

Phil

If we want to send a letter we usually use email. If we need to send a document we usually use Postnet or we send it via the post office but we have to make sure it has a tracking number otherwise some fairy waves her magic wand somewhere along the line.

If we want to send a letter we usually use email. If we need to send a document we usually use Postnet or we send it via the post office but we have to make sure it has a tracking number otherwise some fairy waves her magic wand somewhere along the line.
Sometimes the black hole just swallows some of that mail :(

Many years ago I recall seeing a news report where a US Letter Carrier (their fancy term for Postman) had died and when they checked the home thee were years of undelivered letters stored in boxes everywhere :eek: A smaller version of the same happened near here last year. That one got caught because all the mail was from one area where they didn't want to go to so when utility bills didn't arrive in that area either people knew something was up and began complaining to the local Postmaster, then they caught the lazy bum :p I doubt that packages would get found that easily :(

Phil

Many years ago I recall seeing a news report where a US Letter Carrier (their fancy term for Postman) had died and when they checked the home thee were years of undelivered letters stored in boxes everywhere :eek: A smaller version of the same happened near here last year. That one got caught because all the mail was from one area where they didn't want to go to so when utility bills didn't arrive in that area either people knew something was up and began complaining to the local Postmaster, then they caught the lazy bum :p I doubt that packages would get found that easily :(

Phil
One of the black holes that we were wondering about :D

Phil
They send a package to your house.
They will send you a slip to collect it from the Post Office.
The South African Government won't let you get away without paying import duties.

After filling an inquiry at the South African Post Office, reporting my dashcam missing at the Police Station & nobody being able to tell me what had happened, I had totally given up hope in ever seeing my dashcam.

Today I got smacked back in my chair.
I got a call from the Post Office informing me that they have a parcel form me, I knew that I hadn't purchased anything recently so it could only be my dashcam.
I went to the Post Office & there it was.
I am still pinching myself to make sure I am not dreaming.:)
I would like to thank Spytec, the South African Police & the Complaints Department of the South African Post Office for their assistance in helping me finding my dashcam.
The United States Postal Service did do any investigation on their side but lack of communication on their part made my side of the investigation very difficult.

Back