Mobius Recording Light on - but nothing been saved for a month!!!

sharpharp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Almost had an accident this morning, so grabbed the Mobius SD card to view the footage.
To my surprise, the last recording was from 14th December 2016.... The SD card is full and I have it set to overwrite, but nothing recorded.

The Yellow LED blinks when the engine starts, so I assumed it was recording as normal, so i'm a bit chewed off at just how unreliable the Mobius is.

Anyone had a similar issue?

Could be a failed memory card

Put memory card in PC and viewed the video clips fine, windows scanned the Sd card, so no problems with the memory card.

Any other suggestions?

Windows won't be able to detect a failing card without using some third party software, what did you test with? What card is it and how old is the card?

Had the card just a year. Its a Kingston 32GB SD HCI SDC10.

Tested with Windows Tools - Error Checking, no errors found and like I said, no problems viewing last months footage...

Also tested with H2testw, no errors reported

Ok not really a lot, I'd be inclined to try another memory card anyway and see how it goes

Ok not really a lot, I'd be inclined to try another memory card anyway and see how it goes

I had issues with a 64GB card, so dropped down to 32GB, Samsung ones would stop recording randomly, so tried Kingston, but it's no good if its not recording.

Why would the Mobius light flash yellow if it's not recording footage though?

I had issues with a 64GB card, so dropped down to 32GB, Samsung ones would stop recording randomly, so tried Kingston, but it's no good if its not recording.

Why would the Mobius light flash yellow if it's not recording footage though?
if you set mobius as dashcam. Then when you are at driver position, you must see red flash light if it's recording normaly.
Where did you buy your mobius ? there are many fake mobius out there.

if you set mobius as dashcam. Then when you are at driver position, you must see red flash light if it's recording.
Where did you buy your mobius ? there are many fake mobius out there.

yes the red light flashes as well, but doesn't actually record..... So basically its not recording when you think it is, very poor design.
I bought it from ebay, it's the Type B Lens one (not a fake, checked item with Mobius)

What do you mean by blinks/flashes?
Flashes once? Three times? Continuously?
Do you have recording LED setting enabled?

Also, just because a memory card works properly plugged into a PC that doesn't prove it will work when plugged into a camera. Memory is finnicky stuff.

yes the red light flashes as well, but doesn't actually record..... So basically its not recording when you think it is, very poor design.
I bought it from ebay, it's the Type B Lens one (not a fake, checked item with Mobius)
i still want to know what sourse you bough from.
There are many fake mobius with outside look extractly the same.
i have selled about 10 mobius and using for mysefl 4 mobius. Never have a compain about these. All of these are using slow memory cards. Very good, very solid and realible. No demanding quality memory card like other dashcam.
You can read more in here:
https://www.google.com.vn/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=fake mobius

What do you mean by blinks/flashes?
Flashes once? Three times? Continuously?
Do you have recording LED setting enabled?

Also, just because a memory card works properly plugged into a PC that doesn't prove it will work when plugged into a camera. Memory is finnicky stuff.

The yellow light flashes every 2 seconds, and yes the Red mini LED also flashes (just as the do when recording), but nothing gets saved to the card.
Is the Mobius too dumb to even flash up that it is not recording? Not impressed.

I don't know the programming set-up but the lights seem to take their cue from when the cam is sending a signal to the card for recording- I'm not sure it would even be possible to operate them by checking that it is actually recording to the card. With the many possible failure modes that can happen, no cam is going to catch them all an warn you of card or recording trouble. It it imperative to check the actual recording on the card regularly on another device (PC) regularly, otherwise you may end up like you have. This applies to every cam- not just Mobius- as none of them are completely plug-and-play then forget about it perfect, or utterly reliable forever. Just can't be done in a small package or with the economy of build needed for consumer-level markets.

I recall Kamkar1 having a similar problem though I can't remember where that led to. That is the only other instance I know of where this has happened in my few years on DCT. I try to check my cams and cards every 1-2 weeks at the most. Which I recommend for everybody- just takes a few minutes and gains much peace of mind so its worth it ;)

Phil

The yellow light flashes every 2 seconds, and yes the Red mini LED also flashes (just as the do when recording), but nothing gets saved to the card.
Is the Mobius too dumb to even flash up that it is not recording? Not impressed.

In my extensive experience with Mobius cameras I have NEVER experienced a situation where the camera indicates it is recording but then turns out that it hasn't been. If the Mobius encounters a problem with the memory card it will NOT flash the yellow LED once per second but the rear red LED will remain on and solid after start-up to indicate a problem.

I too am wondering if you have a genuine Mobius cam or a counterfeit. Check THIS PAGE for confirmation.

In my extensive experience with Mobius cameras I have NEVER experienced a situation where the camera indicates it is recording but then turns out that it hasn't been. If the Mobius encounters a problem with the memory card it will NOT flash the yellow LED once per second but the rear red LED will remain on and solid after start-up to indicate a problem.

I too am wondering if you have a genuine Mobius cam or a counterfeit. Check THIS PAGE for confirmation.

It is genuine, I followed the video where they compare fakes with genuine ones. Even opened it up to check battery, stickers etc etc.

100% this camera has yellow (rectangular) and red (mini dot) leds flashing as if recording. When I pull the SD card out and test it, nothing has been recorded, and all the recording sat on the card are from last month.
I put in, what is around 4-5 different SD cards, Kingston, Samsung, Samsung Evo, you name it, same result nothing being recorded.

I'm on firmware 2.37, might update that to 2.41 as I noticed it was available for local install.

how about wecam mode ? Does your mobius can do this funtion ?
you ready have a bad luck. Every model have a some product with error and mobius have a very tiny ratio of error. You are the first one i know by now.

how about wecam mode ? Does your mobius can do this funtion ?
you ready have a bad luck. Every model have a some product with error and mobius have a very tiny ratio of error. You are the first one i know by now.

No idea, only ever bought it for the purpose of using as a Dashcam. Don't think there is a webcam option

I'm waiting for YooVuu to bring out a "working" Lens Extension Cable, then I will jump ship, but in the meantime I will have a go again and see if I can get this Mobius 1 working.

Back