Mobius recording with USB power

gfd22

Reaction score
Country
Western Sahara
I'm totally new to this forum, so please excuse the ignorance.

My problem. My mobius camera battery has about 5-10 of battery life before it dies.
I would prefer NOT to replace the battery, I would instead prefer to dashcam record with the Mobius connected to a 5V 1amp USB cigarette lighter in the car.

Question. What kind of a USB mini cable do I need. Can I use a regular cable or can I modify a regular USB mini cable?

I have an entire box of USB mini cables and I'd rather not spend money if I can do it myself.

Or can I just use a regular USB mini cable as is?

Also, how do I record with external power supply? Anything special to be aware of.

Thanks alot. I use this camera for daily commute to work.

You'll need to replace the battery with a capacitor so that the Mobius closes the last file successfully once the power is cut.

Any good quality Mini USB cable can be used, no modification required. Here's a 3 metre version that's verified to work well with the Mobius.

Do use a quality power supply that's capable of providing 1-1.5 A output.

I'm totally new to this forum, so please excuse the ignorance.

My problem. My mobius camera battery has about 5-10 of battery life before it dies.
I would prefer NOT to replace the battery, I would instead prefer to dashcam record with the Mobius connected to a 5V 1amp USB cigarette lighter in the car.

Question. What kind of a USB mini cable do I need. Can I use a regular cable or can I modify a regular USB mini cable?

I have an entire box of USB mini cables and I'd rather not spend money if I can do it myself.

Or can I just use a regular USB mini cable as is?

Also, how do I record with external power supply? Anything special to be aware of.

Thanks alot. I use this camera for daily commute to work.

Keep in mind that you'll need to adjust the setting in mSetup for "Power On - Auto Record" if you wish to use external power on your Mobius.

You can set it for "External (power) Only", the "Button (on the camera) Only" or "both". You would set it to "both" if you should decide to replace the battery (even if usually running from external power.)

If you switch to a super-capacitor instead of the battery you need to set "Power-Off Disconnect" to "Immediate".

Also, be aware that not only do you need the internal battery or a super-capacitor to save the last file when you turn off your car's ignition but the battery and super-capacitor also maintain the date and time settings.

It would probably be a good idea to download and read the Mobius owners manual, especially the section, "Recording using an external power supply".

You can download the manual in PDF format from the THIS link.

Mobius_001.jpg

Last edited:
With your location listed as "Western Sahara" you will definitely need the super-caps. It's and easy job to swap; just one very small Phillips screwdriver is needed to open the case then the caps and battery simply plug in with no soldering needed. You will have to re-do the settings as mentioned above, then you should get excellent service. A good PS and good USB cable are a must with any cam; like computers it is GIGO ;)

Phil

Back