Mobius Remote Lens Tube Camera

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by Dashmellow, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Dashmellow

Dashmellow Well-Known Member

United States
    Dash Cam:
    SG9665GC, Mobius/M2 (x7), GT680W (modded), DR32, others
    A long time ago, I bought a 20cm Mobius lens extension cable but I never did anything with it. In the meantime I've been observing all the interesting, creative things people have done remote mounting the Mobius lens module in other objects like sensor housings, GPS housings, old VCRs and the like.

Remote mounting the lens module alone seems more challenging because the ribbon cable is so delicate and easily damaged. Some of the attempts I've seen to mount the module by itself have seemed sort of crude and sometimes a bit "iffy". Here and there a few people have created small housings that look fairly slick but the universal challenge I've noticed is that nobody has come up with a way to easily aim the module at will or to make something that can be easily mounted and unmounted.

I came up with a few unique ideas and here's my first try. I wanted something that would be self contained, secure and would be rugged enough to take some abuse if needed so the ribbon cable would be well protected. Obviously it needed to be difficult to see from outside a car. I also wanted to create something simple with only a few parts. Heat shrink tubing was a great solution.

The lens module I used for the project is an original metal one that came with an "A" lens but it's been refitted with a "C" optic.

(BTW, this project is kind of a companion to the DIY low profile mounts I posted about yesterday.)

tubecam2.jpg

sideview.jpg

I was able to briefly mount the cam in my vehicle (which is nearly impossible to do in freezing weather for a permanent grip) The camera presents such a small profile when seen from straight-on that it is essentially invisible from outside my vehicle. From the side, you can see it if you look hard enough but there is no way to tell what the heck it is, as it just doesn't register as a camera. Of course, stealth is the basic reason for doing a project like this.
    straighton.jpg

I used a gel type epoxy to glue a 1/4-20 threaded T- stand to the module itself that I modified to fit using a one inch belt sander.

threadedbase2.jpg

Many of the Mobius remote cam projects I've seen don't give much attention the hole in the camera housing where the lens used to be but I wanted a tight seal that would also allow the camera case to be opened up easily. I used a rubber stopper from the hardware store that I drilled a hole in and cut down to size. When inserted it sits flush with the case opening and is a simple friction fit like the bottle stopper that it is. The color and finish even matches the Mobius case, so it was a great find since I had been looking around for a good solution for this.

stopper.jpg

The whole project required four basic parts as shown here. The fourth part of course, was the rubber stopper that didn't make it into the photo. I guess the extension cable would constitute a 5th part, but who's counting?

remoteparts2.jpg

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
    harsh, OmoP, M Basta and 12 others like this.
  2. niko

niko Well-Known Member Retailer

Ireland
    Dash Cam:
    Street Guardian UK / EU / EEA Distributor
    Are those parts you found from from your jars and cans ? ;)
    Nice idea to use a part from the pen as rear where video cable ribbon comes out !

3. Dashmellow

United States
    Dash Cam:
    The heat shrink tubing I had on hand along with the "pen part" which is a nozzle from a toy balloon pump. The rubber stopper came from the local hardware store as well as the T-stand. Actually, I accidentally posted this thread before I was finished with it, so I still have a thing or two to add.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
    BMbler likes this.
  4. niko

Ireland
    Dash Cam:
    Ok. So there are more to come ? Great, looking forward @

P.S. tou may post few "reserved post" here below if you plan to continue with this project. This way everything will be on 1st page. At least I do this some time.

5. Dashmellow

United States
    Dash Cam:
    Thanks. It seems I basically just needed to add the photo of the rubber stopper and a few comments for now. I know what you mean about the "reserved posts". I meant to do that yesterday with my long thread about the low profile mounts but I forgot. I wanted to keep this post fairly brief.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  6. niko

Ireland
    Dash Cam:
    Ok. I can see the added pictures. Looks very neat !

Dashmellow likes this.
  7. Gabacho

Gabacho Well-Known Member

United States
    Dash Cam:
    SG9663DC
    Nice job, looks great!

jokiin and Dashmellow like this.
  8. jokiin

jokiin Well-Known Member Manufacturer

China
    Dash Cam:
    Too many ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    first remote lens mod I've noticed where attention is made on how to mount and protect the fragile bits, nice job

HeWhoMustNotBeNamed and Gabacho like this.
  9. Altron2000

Altron2000 New Member

United States
    How can I get a 10foot line to the back of my car so I can have the multi channel dashacams body's inside the glove box?

10. kamkar1

kamkar1 Well-Known Member

Denmark
    Dash Cam:
    Lukas LK-7500G / Innovv C3 / mobius / G1W / SG9665GC & more
    For a remote setup you need there to be a transmit chip using some protocol in the lens/sensor unit and a receiver chip in the camera to decode, if you dont have that, then what you see here are the maximum you will be able to move the lens module from the camera.
    The original signal that come off the sensors or lens modules are pretty weak and prone to noise too, so a good handful of inches are about as good as it get with that signal.

If you have that transmit booster then you can go as far as 5-6 meters from the camera to the main unit, but you need that signal to be boosted a lot as it is otherwise quite weak as it is only intended to go to the next PCB over inside a little camera.

jokiin and Module 79L like this.