Spain
Dash Cam
Git2,Xiaomi Yi, Mobius, Sj1000, gt300w, GS9000, GS600, Gopro
Hi,
this is my first test with a fisheye lens on my mobius cam

greetings.
Suso

Last edited by a moderator:
FOV is impressive. I dont even care about all side objects being curved / bent. Most important is to record as much as possible action. The only worry about ultra-wide ( fish eye ) lens is reading of numberplates.
Can you upload and share original raw file.

Also, can you share a link from which exact lens have you bought. I want to see specs.
Thank you.

Sunex lens

Lens manofacturer

Hi Niko, I bought it two years ago ($ 99), I'm looking for much cheaper lenses, after testing with this lens, I will make some with a lens FOV = 150 ° ($ 20). The raw test soon.

regards.
Suso

Impressive FOV, everything still looks crystal clear. (high quality lens!)

Now you can catch everything without having to wait for one of these to mature:

360º, triple camera dash cam - cool or too good to be true?
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2171

There are few good fisheye lens I found as well ( 62 usd ), with IR coating, 185 degree, Focal lenght 1.25mm etc., only 67usd.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 93558.html

Not sure if 20usd range lenses can have same good specs producing good quality image. Price difference is very big, but you never known until dont test.

Fish eye lens 185 degree has drawback, it does not cover whole area of 1/3" cmos, there fir can see dark blurred side edges. It probably will be covering an area of cmos 1/2.7 and bigger ( 1/2.5 etc ) without dark curved edges.
But the price 99usd for fish eye lens Suso used says everything for them selves, - very good quality !
Thanks for sharing info and video samples.

niko said:
Fish eye lens 185 degree has drawback, it does not cover whole area of 1/3" cmos, there fir can see dark blurred side edges. It probably will be covering an area of cmos 1/2.7 and bigger ( 1/2.5 etc ) without dark curved edges.
But the price 99usd for fish eye lens Suso used says everything for them selves, - very good quality !
Thanks for sharing info and video samples.

a lens that cost more than the DVR, you'd be a bit disappointed if it didn't give a good result I'd think

You right. The bigger cmos, the more side edges. My bad in hurry calculations on the go.
What is you experience regarding 1/3 cmos. What would be max optimal wide angle of lens that would cover whole 1/3 cmos without black side edges?
P.S. - considering that aperture would stay as large as possible.

perhaps 175 ° or 170 ° should cover the entire superficie.Pero I'm not sure.
the coming weeks, I will try other lens with less degrees.
I will share the results.
regards
suso

Thank for sharing an info. As most needed info known ( M12 0.5 max 170 degree, probably 160 would do also ok for my car front pillar to pillar width based on other previously used wide angle lens dash cams), now need to start researching for high quality lens with largest possible aperture.

niko said:
Thank for sharing an info. As most needed info known ( M12 0.5 max 170 degree, probably 160 would do also ok for my car front pillar to pillar width based on other previously used wide angle lens dash cams), now need to start researching for high quality lens with largest possible aperture.

We're looking at doing a 170 option for the A7 models, we can do this without the fishbowl effect but will see how it looks when the time comes whether we run with or not

jokiin said:
niko said:

We're looking at doing a 170 option for the A7 models, we can do this without the fishbowl effect but will see how it looks when the time comes whether we run with or not

I guess yours fish eye effect on the side will be fixed / "straighten" automatically via dash camera own firmware / software ?

Yes, there are certain models of the A7 (there are 8 different A7LA chip sets) that have a super wide angle dewarp function built in, the models we are using do support this function

jokiin said:
Yes, there are certain models of the A7 (there are 8 different A7LA chip sets) that have a super wide angle dewarp function built in, the models we are using do support this function

Learned today new word: "dewarp" :)
I wonder if this dewarp implementation is related specific type of CPU ( like A7LA you mentioned ) or can be programmed into other lower ranking cpu-s as well. For example Mobius or others can release / add some patch file ( firmware update ) to have same dewarp processing, or its limited to cpu processing capabilities,?

Only 2 of the 8 models support this function so I'd assume there's a hardware reliance, both are the top models of their respective categories

Back