Mobius. Should I record in MOV, AVI, or MP4?

GoodEnough

Reaction score
Country
United States
I want to edit, and sometimes use this as a GoPro or CamCorder
For editing, I use AVIDemuxer, but am flexible

Yeah and use FAT32, as i think there is a small bug with exFAT if you use a larger than 32Gb memory card. ( i use 64 Gb cards in my mobius 1 and 2 )

Last edited:
Do you ever edit (cut down) your MOV files in Win?
What app do you use?

Normally i use movie maker to trim & mix my recordings, and registrator viewer if it is important to keep the original file format and FPS ( movie maker turn 60 FPS footage into 30 FPS in its output format )

I cant even remember do the mobius have a overlap ?

If it do its properly the usual 1000 ms.

Pinnacle 20 pro or whatever its called is high on my to get list, but gotta see what kind of pension i will be getting before i set my hopes too high.

Quicktime works well for trimming.

On my 'nix box, I made a BASH script that I use to extract portion of a clip at a specified starting time for a specified ending time. I find that faster than using an editor. It uses ffmpeg. If I have a three minute MOV clip and want say 10 seconds, this the way to go. I have uploaded a few movie clips using that.

Problem is I can't bring my 'nix box to work and am reluctant to install ffmpeg or Kdenlive on my work boxes. Sometimes I encounter things on my drive to work I would like to upload during my lunch. I have a laptop with VLC on it.

https://www.vlchelp.com/cut-trim-videos-with-vlc-media-player/

if you want to edit a section that contains portions of two segments though Registrator Viewer is ideal, it can also strip the file overlap at the same time

This will works for. Thanks.

MOV seems to be the only reasonable choice?

MobiusFileType.jpg

I only saw that recently myself, and I don't think it's mentioned in my downloaded instructions.

The tool tips in this app really are excellent, it's a pity you have to remember to point at the headings to see them rather than the radio buttons. But I can see why it's done that way, having tool tips flashing up constantly would be annoying.

Sent from my tap-to-talk using Tapatalk

In May, I made the choice based on my experience with MP4 on my two channel camera and to distinguish it from video files from other camera. Never used used MOV before and I am glad I selected that format. In the version I downloaded in May, I assumed all three file formats did the 1 minute overlap as there wasn't that sub window.

If I have a choice, I would avoid using MP4 formats on my dashcams as it can not easily concatenate (merge) several files into one unlike avi. If I have several small files regarding an incident, I would like to group them together without going to an editor on my Linux box.

Works
Code:
cat REC*.AVI >  vid.avi

Doesn't work
Code:
 cat *.MP4. > vid.mp4

There are headers in mp4 that therefore prevents successive files from being merged together in Linux at the command line unless you use an editor.

Now there are some ways around that
http://askubuntu.com/questions/671673/merge-multiple-mp4-files-into-a-single-video-via-the-terminal

Given that mobius makes clip at a minimum 3 minutes, unlike my two channel that does 30 second clips, this isn't a big deal.

I never have tried
Code:
 cat REC*.MOV > vid.mov

as the 1 second overlap needs to be manually edited out. Usually I only need 10 to 50 seconds from a clip. Only twice did I produce a project where the incident was on two different REC files.

This could be an issue if you have three or more files on the same event that you want to combine. I do plan on making a script that removes the 1 second clip at the end if there are successive files.

Now with MP4, I have noticed a 1 in 50 chance on my two channel dash cam, that there could be a half second or more missed as it goes to the next successive video clip. My wife had to brake abruptly on a near head on collision a car heading towards her on a narrow street with double parked cars. About a second was missing

Given my experience with MP4's and the software's acknowledgement with AVI's - I will stick with MOV.

hi man, sorry for my late answer.
MOV was created by Apple as a container for QuickTime while AVI was developed by Microsoft for their media player.
AVI is relatively old and has been replaced by Microsoft with WMV format.
AVI does not provide native support for MP4 codecs while MOV does.
AVI does have some of the advanced capabilities that are available in MOV.
MOV can have subtitles in them while AVI cannot.
AVI is still more popular compared to MOV simply because of its widespread use.
A lot of people (like me) prefer .mp4 because of the better tagging capabilities.
But why don't you download a program to convert them, I usually do so, here is the link to download the program: http://www.videoconverterfactory.com/tips/compress-mov-file.html it even can compress video size with high quality except converting video formats, just try, Of course, here are many such programs, such as famous wonderahsre https://www.youtube.com/user/Wondershare, handbrake, etc but I haven't used them, so I have no idea about them, maybe you can try.It's up to you. cheers

I use MP4 personally. I'm a simple guy, so it works good enough for me haha

Back