Mobius shutting off...

sam81

Reaction score
Country
United States
Having an issue with my Mobius. It begins recoding but about 10 seconds in, the yellow light [mode 1, yellow] begins flashing red and the camera shuts off. Tried a different memory card but same issue. Any idea what this could indicate?

Having an issue with my Mobius. It begins recoding but about 10 seconds in, the yellow light [mode 1, yellow] begins flashing red and the camera shuts off. Tried a different memory card but same issue. Any idea what this could indicate?

I had a partially simila behaviour (my camera did not shut off but blinked 7 yellow flashes before hanging solid yellow, reboot or shutoff needed).No files were written.
Try to see: 1 stop recording after 2-3 seconds and look if any video files is being written (and/or try to go to red and take some pictures and see if they are written on the cards).
Then check if the cam works as a webcam (connect with usb to a pc and see if any video is made from the camera-I used VLC and opened a video acquisition stream).

I had a partially simila behaviour (my camera did not shut off but blinked 7 yellow flashes before hanging solid yellow, reboot or shutoff needed).No files were written.
Try to see: 1 stop recording after 2-3 seconds and look if any video files is being written (and/or try to go to red and take some pictures and see if they are written on the cards).
Then check if the cam works as a webcam (connect with usb to a pc and see if any video is made from the camera-I used VLC and opened a video acquisition stream).

So it does appear to actually write to the card for the 15 or so seconds that I recorded while driving. I have a few separate videos that did write when trying to use while driving. Not sure why it shuts off though as it's always connected via USB to a power source in the car.

I will try using as a webcam now and see if it records.

So it does appear to actually write to the card for the 15 or so seconds that I recorded while driving. I have a few separate videos that did write when trying to use while driving. Not sure why it shuts off though as it's always connected via USB to a power source in the car.

I will try using as a webcam now and see if it records.

Well, if the camera is recording (mine wasn't) then you don't need to check as webcam works (i checked it to be sure there was no damage on the imager or cable from the lens was working). If the camera is recording then I guess yr problem might be more on the battery, (if the micro SDcard works)

Well, if the camera is recording (mine wasn't) then you don't need to check as webcam works (i checked it to be sure there was no damage on the imager or cable from the lens was working). If the camera is recording then I guess yr problem might be more on the battery, (if the micro SDcard works)

So I tried running it without any cable/power and it shut off after about 30 seconds.

I can't test it while it's plugged into the PC because it won't record but right now it's running with the USB plugged into the wall charger for my phone and it hasn't shut off yet (going for 3 minutes now).

I'm guessing that it could be the cigarette/USB adapter in the car that wasn't delivering adequate power and the battery died as a result. There is another USB port in the car's center console that I'll have to test it on. Will advise on that result in a couple of hours or so.

So I tried running it without any cable/power and it shut off after about 30 seconds.

I can't test it while it's plugged into the PC because it won't record but right now it's running with the USB plugged into the wall charger for my phone and it hasn't shut off yet (going for 3 minutes now).

I'm guessing that it could be the cigarette/USB adapter in the car that wasn't delivering adequate power and the battery died as a result. There is another USB port in the car's center console that I'll have to test it on. Will advise on that result in a couple of hours or so.

Well, sure weak USB cables are the most source of problems followed by sd cards. For the latter best format them by the camera internal format routine.

I was thinking a battery-related problem myself. Try charging the Mobius (power to the cam but with it turned off for at least a half hour) then see if the disconnected camera runtime becomes more that 30 seconds. If so the PS can't keep up with the current being drawn when it's on. If it's still 30 seconds the PS could still be faulty but the battery itself them becomes the main suspect. You need a known good 1.5A power source at the cam, not just at he adapter.

Also note that many in-car USB ports cannot provide enough power for a dashcam. The same goes for many cheap cigarette lighter/USB adapters. Cheap cables can also limit power.

Phil

try reformatting the card. What format is the card, how big is it, and what setting do you have for >32gb cards (if yours is >32)

Back