Mobius Super Capacitor.

According to this, the TekNet device can supply 1A:
Additional 1 USB power vertical port (5V 2.1A) compatible with most charging devices goes to fast charging up maximum 2.1A. USB 3.0 ports supply 0.9A each.

I bought one of these to check I was getting 5v and 1A from the PC and hub:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331067318038
It does show what the output is to whatever is being plugged into it.

Yes I do leave the camera connected to the pc for sometime afterwards.

Hilts,

At least you can say that the suction cups don't suc. (I know poor pun.:rolleyes:)

I am currently reading this thread and find it fascinating. Hopefully it has a good ending. ;)

How long did you have it before it went 'pear shaped'??

I've been making sure I re-connect mine to a power USB supply for a while after making any GUI/Text file changes (e.g., time change GMT to BST yesterday).

My Supercap is currently working, but the Suction Cup Mount I'd ordered at the same time doesn't hold suction.... hmmm, it will be interesting to see if Banggood want me to take a photo of it falling off the screen!!

Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 11 months & 8 months ago, respectively. Both cams start recording every time the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off. No problems to report.

Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 12 months & 9 months ago, respectively. Both cams start recording every time the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off. No problems to report.

Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 13 months & 10 months ago, respectively. Both cams start recording every time the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off. No problems to report.

Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 14 months & 11 months ago, respectively. Both cams start recording every time the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off. No problems to report.

In the past month there was a 10 day period in which I didn't use my car. I'm pleased to report that both cams retained the correct date / time :)

Hi. Although I bought the capacitor together with the B Lens Camera in August 2014, today I changed the battery with the capacitor to be able to handle the upcoming summer temperatures (yesterday were 25 Celsius degrees outside and very hot in the car which was parked all day in full sun).
I really hope that, with the capacitor installed, the Mobius will keep up the good work done when using the battery.

Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 15 months & 12 months ago, respectively. Both cams start recording every time the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off.

The front facing cam did fail to start one time a few weeks ago. It was a one-off & I don't know why it happened, though the mini USB plug is a loose fit in the camera socket, so may be a factor.

Hello. A month has passed since I installed the supercapacitor. There were 3 occasions when the Mobius did not start but I adjusted the way I start the car engine and now it is OK. The recording is also OK so, at least for now, I am happy with it.

Hello. A month has passed since I installed the supercapacitor. There were 3 occasions when the Mobius did not start but I adjusted the way I start the car engine and now it is OK. The recording is also OK so, at least for now, I am happy with it.
in what way did you change the way you start the car?

thanks.

summer is coming and 110+ Fahrenheit temperatures will be here in a month. i hope the Mobius proves to be robust in my black car!

Hi. I reduced the time between pushing the engine start buton from position Accesories to position Start the engine.

Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 16 months & 13 months ago, respectively. Both cams start recording when the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off.

I have a Mobius early version Standard lens A with recently installed capacitor that works brilliantly. Looking to also get a Mobius V3 Wide angled lens C and hopefully a capacitor will be fine in that too.

Just dug out my Mobius after 9 months of sitting in my drawer, upgraded to the latest FW & set it up as a replacement to my, recently dead, G90 on the windscreen. It's working as beautifully now as it was when it was last used as rear facing DVR.:D

Last edited:
Just dug out my Mobius after 9 months of sitting my drawer, upgraded to the latest FW & set it up as a replacement to my, recently dead, G90 on the windscreen. It's working as beautifully now as it was when it last used as rear facing DVR.:D

Take care of it. With its lens housed in metal, it's immune to heat-related focus drift, so is a 'classic' Mobius & an appreciating asset :)

Update: we passed the hottest week from the beginning of this summer. Outside daily temperatures were between 34-38 Celsius degrees. My rear mounted Mobius B Lens with Supercapacitor stayed in the car day and night. It started and recorded every single time I started the car engine. I am very pleased with it!

Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 17 months & 14 months ago, respectively. Both cams start recording when the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off.

This weekend I finally got around to replacing the batteries in my rear facing and my wife's front facing Mobius cameras with Super Caps. My camera is an old (metal body) A lens camera has been mounted for several months and the battery was a balloon but still in one piece. My wife's camera is the (old) C lens with a high capacity battery that has been mounted for about a month. That battery was balloon too.

Happy to say everything is working well with the super caps and now I won't have to worry about any in car "fireworks". ;)

Back