Mobius Super Capacitor.

fatpanda

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Has the super capacitor for the Mobius camera been released as yet?

No that i know of.

Just checked with a verified eBay seller this week, not available just yet.

Has the super capacitor for the Mobius camera been released as yet?
I don't know if it is or ever will be "officially" released, but I would certainly contact one of the sellers in China. I know they have (had) them, but I don't know if they are for sale. I don't see why they shouldn't be, they are supported by the latest firmware.

The messages I received this morning from the two sellers in China,

"Thanks for your message. Sorry, friend, the capacitor is still not available now. Hope you kindly understand"

and

"Sorry, friend, still not available now."

Maybe Isoprop you have enough pull to get some released.

Last edited:
Same message as I got from eletoponline365: "Thanks for your message. Sorry, friend, I can not make sure that when we will have it. Hope you kindly understand."

Thanks Number Three, if someone can post a link to one they have tried and tested and it fits in the Mobius and it is supported by the latest firmware I am willing to give it a go.

Why wait for an "official" release of something that can be purchased from any electronics parts house?
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Elna/DVN-5R5D104T-R5/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMt3B7nMwwsFSER6i24CDcaH
And they have many to chose from.
Sometimes they can even be found in junk car stereos, and that's where I got mine from. I have to run it thru a regulator tho, because the "pull" is a 12VDC cap.

I've only done calculations to estimate how long a Super Capacitor would last and a 0.1F is just too low in value to showdown and keep the real time clock running for a few days. There was a person on the forum who was testing how long a larger super capacitor would last, but I haven't see his results yet.

I've only done calculations to estimate how long a Super Capacitor would last and a 0.1F is just too low in value to showdown and keep the real time clock running for a few days. There was a person on the forum who was testing how long a larger super capacitor would last, but I haven't see his results yet.
You haven't seen any results because I don't have any yet!
Temporary results show that the capacitor pair will probably keep the RTC (Real Time Clock) running for at least 7 days.
I have powered it for 7 days successfully, 10 days was a failure. Once I get the high value I'll repeat the tests. But this takes time, especially if I need my Mobius in the meantime ;)

Thanks Number Three, if someone can post a link to one they have tried and tested and it fits in the Mobius and it is supported by the latest firmware I am willing to give it a go.
There are hundreds of these available on aliexpress.com but the problem is the diameter. You want to look for 2 x 10F 2.7V Super Capacitor with a diameter no more than 9 mm and a length of approx. 25 mm. The length isn't so important but the diameter is. I've seen 10 mm supercaps, but they are most likely too thick to fit into the case. Another problem is the price, at least on Aliexpress. Either they are ridiculously expensive, the postage is more than ridiculous or you have to buy more than 100 pieces. A quick search on eBay didn't show anything suitable.

According to the following calculations the new Super Capacitor will need 1.21 Gigawatts of power. You should never exceed 88 mph as well.

Last edited:

There are hundreds of these available on aliexpress.com but the problem is the diameter. You want to look for 2 x 10F 2.7V Super Capacitor with a diameter no more than 9 mm and a length of approx. 25 mm. The length isn't so important but the diameter is. I've seen 10 mm supercaps, but they are most likely too thick to fit into the case. Another problem is the price, at least on Aliexpress. Either they are ridiculously expensive, the postage is more than ridiculous or you have to buy more than 100 pieces. A quick search on eBay didn't show anything suitable.

Thanks Isoprop, if you find the perfect one I will gladly buy it from you including postage to Australia.

if anyone has the capacitors now it would be worth taking some measurements and seeing how much space there actually is, 10mm is very common, finding something in 9mm would be a problem I think

if anyone has the capacitors now it would be worth taking some measurements and seeing how much space there actually is, 10mm is very common, finding something in 9mm would be a problem I think
The capacitors that Mtz and I have measure exactly 8.25 mm x 24.85 mm. The length is the length of the body. Allowing for the connection to the battery lead it's about 32 mm.
I don't have the time right now, but someone could cut some balsa wood or any similar easy-to-cut material and find by trial-and-error the max. height available in the Mobius shell when closed.

The capacitors that Mtz and I have measure exactly 8.25 mm x 24.85 mm. The length is the length of the body. Allowing for the connection to the battery lead it's about 32 mm.
I don't have the time right now, but someone could cut some balsa wood or any similar easy-to-cut material and find by trial-and-error the max. height available in the Mobius shell when closed.

quite an odd size, nothing in the catalogs I have match that so unless there's a bit more breathing room in there it may mean people just have to wait it out and get the ones they've sourced for this, or have a case that won't close perhaps

The Isoprop dimensions are good, but I think packed will be a little more.

Mobius capacitors 1.jpg Mobius capacitors 2.jpg Mobius capacitors 3.jpg Mobius capacitors 4.jpg Mobius capacitors 5.jpg

Capacitors pack mounted here. Another mount (original?) here.
First Mobius capacitors packed by me are here.

I expect the price of capacitors pack to be 10-15$.

enjoy,
Mtz

I understand now. After reviewing the other inner links here (sorry, I'm a newb), I see the real topic is trying to PACK these puppies inside the camera case. I never even considered that in my pea-brain. I have been looking at this little wonder and envisioning everything in-cable,or external at least.
I've started"gathering" the goodies in my spare time for that, and now have all but an acceptable run of shielded cable small enough to be stealthy, yet large enough for the current demands.
But this in-camera"packing" option is intriguing. I think I'll do some OVER-due reading here.

I'm also still waiting for a capacitors edition.
I don't understand why they hasitate so much when it has so much $$$ potiential.

I'm also still waiting for a capacitors edition.
I don't understand why they hasitate so much when it has so much $$$ potiential.

I doubt it represents a great percentage of their users as it means it's only suitable for use with external power

I doubt it represents a great percentage of their users as it means it's only suitable for use with external power

Then if that is the case more people like myself would use the Mobius as a dashcam and not worry about the over heating issue which I have experienced.

Back