Mobius Super Capacitor.

Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 5 years 5 months & 5 years 2 months ago, respectively. Both cams start recording when the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off.

If I only need the camera to start recording when powering up and shut down when there's no power, there's no need to use the capacitor. Is that correct?

If you use it without a battery or capacitor, last file will be corrupted due to the abrupt shutdown. That's if it works at all, haven't tried.

Kind of. But most people rather buy directly from eBay or Amazon

If I only need the camera to start recording when powering up and shut down when there's no power, there's no need to use the capacitor. Is that correct?

Not correct as @Harsh pointed out about the need for the capacitor to properly save the last file.

Also, the super-capacitor is required for keeping the correct time and date on the RTC (Real-time-clock). A charged capacitor will keep the date & time for approximately 7-10 days.

I didn't intend to remove both battery and capacitor but keep the original power supply of the dash cam instead of upgrading it to super capacitor. Do you mean that a bad battery cannot last long enough to save the last file and maintain the correct time?

Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 5 years 6 months & 5 years 3 months ago, respectively. Both cams start recording when the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off.

Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 5 years 6 months & 5 years 3 months ago, respectively. Both cams start recording when the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off.

Time really flies. My 2 Mobius are about the same age. Still working great too.

Same here. I have two V1 Mobius cams still in service and several later versions (V2 & V3 pcb) also still going strong. The original Mobius action cam is by far the most reliable dash/action camera out there and it manages despite some very challenging conditions such as extreme heat, cold and the shocks and vibrations of daily driving on rural dirt/gravel roads.

Last edited:
Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 5 years 7 months & 5 years 4 months ago, respectively. Both cams start recording when the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off.

. A charged capacitor will keep the date & time for approximately 7-10 days.
My observations are it holds time/date for less than 7 days , but i have not done a test . My car is unused for many days so i will reinstall the battery.When i park i dismount that Mobius 1 , off a magnetic mount & store it out of the sun.

My observations are it holds time/date for less than 7 days , but i have not done a test . My car is unused for many days so i will reinstall the battery.When i park i dismount that Mobius 1 , off a magnetic mount & store it out of the sun.

I guess 7-10 days is a rule of thumb. I can get maybe around 7 days but it's very rare that I get to find out for certain since the Mobius cams in my vehicle get powered up pretty much every day. The Mobius cams I use for other purposes have batteries installed.

The other day I had a near miss coming around the semi-blind hairpin turn on the road I live on and wanted to get a better look at the crazy neighbor kid who's been driving like a manic around here lately. But when I got home and checked the file it wasn't there. It was then I discovered a bunch of other seemingly random missing files. So, I engaged in a round of standard Mobius troubleshooting procedures (for any dash cam really) such as installing a new memory card and testing the old one with H2testw, checking the cable and its connections, the power supply, etc., but nothing obvious turned up.

Then when I re-examined all the files on the memory card which had accumulated over a period of several days I finally realized the various missing files where all the last file before shut-down. Don't know why I missed that initially but it could only mean one thing....the super-capacitor had failed.

A quick swap with a spare super-capacitor module I had on hand and I was back in business.

I currently have four Mobius cameras that have super-capacitors installed, a few of which have been in daily service for many years and none of them have ever failed before. This is a first. Of course, any component can fail eventually.

Edit: Just the fact you can plug a new super-capacitor into the PCB and be on your way as if nothing had ever happened is one of the reasons I prize Mobius cams so much. :happy:

Last edited:
Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 5 years 8 months & 5 years 5 months ago, respectively. Both cams start recording when the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off.

Only 5+ years without failure? I'd have expected better than that :ROFLMAO:

Seriously, many thanks to @russ331 for giving us these long-term updates- your steadfast perseverance is noted and appreciated (y)

Phil

Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 5 years 9 months & 5 years 6 months ago, respectively. Both cams start recording when the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off.

Recently I thought I might have to report the demise of the youngest Mobius. Fortunately just the memory card had expired, & a new card restored normal performance.

ecently I thought I might have to report the demise of the youngest Mobius. Fortunately just the memory card had expired, & a new card restored normal performance.
What cards do you use in your Mobius cameras?

Back