Mobius Super Capacitors SUPER HOT

puro

Reaction score
Country
United States
I installed my super capacitors recently as the original battery was bulging and I was worried about a fire. Sometimes the camera does not start or power on and it gets SUPER hot.. as in it burned my finger when I touched the camera. Has anyone else had this problem?

I ordered this one from amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00JG7CRYU
edit: I unplugged the capacitors... and tried plugging the camera into the computer by itself.. the whole thing is getting super hot... what the hell?

Last edited:
It sounds like something in the cam's charge control circuitry has gone bad. Does it overheat with the old battery in it too? If so that confirms my diagnosis. If not one or both caps might be shorted out. SpyTec has great customer service on their products if the cap pack does happen to be bad.

Phil

I installed my super capacitors recently as the original battery was bulging and I was worried about a fire. Sometimes the camera does not start or power on and it gets SUPER hot.. as in it burned my finger when I touched the camera. Has anyone else had this problem?

edit: I unplugged the capacitors... and tried plugging the camera into the computer by itself.. the whole thing is getting super hot... what the hell?

Just to be clear, the Mobius camera does indeed get pretty hot, especially on the metal heat sinks and this is normal behavior. This can happen even if you just have the camera plugged into your computer if it is on standby. You are aware of this, right?
On the other hand, if the camera is really getting super hot to the point of actually burning your fingers, that's something else.
In any event, the Mobius does get pretty hot during normal use and as a result there are a few of threads discussing this here on DCT. Perhaps you might benefit from perusing them just to gain more perspective on the nature of heat and the Mobius to rule out whether your hot Mobius camera might not actually be overheating, per se. The Mobius cams in my vehicle do get really quite hot, especially during the summer months but they run fine with no issues.

The Mobius & Heat Issues

Mobius heat tolerance

Thanks for the replies.. I really dont touch the camera at all when its mounted in the car as I have it set to just power on with the car. I'll look into those other threads thanks.

How long have you had the camera?

Back