Mobius support thread and Tech Guide (post all problems/help requests here) Read posts #1-8 first

Many thanks to Dashmellow, Jokiin, Sawmaster & Bungus for all their guidance - thanks guys

ooh,ooh - 1 last question - if the Mobius does not have a battery and I use it as a dash cam, I presume that the time stamp will not be usable since the Mobius has no internal power source to keep it going? If I want to use a timestamp, I have to keep plugged into car power source when I take it down and tuck it away?

Many thanks to Dashmellow, Jokiin, Sawmaster & Bungus for all their guidance - thanks guys

ooh,ooh - 1 last question - if the Mobius does not have a battery and I use it as a dash cam, I presume that the time stamp will not be usable since the Mobius has no internal power source to keep it going? If I want to use a timestamp, I have to keep plugged into car power source when I take it down and tuck it away?

The super-capacitor will keep the time and date stamp going for approximately one week to ten days after the last time the camera gets charged up. If you drive your car regularly you shouldn't have any issues. :)

Edit: Also, here's an important little tip: When you use the mSetup application on your computer to configure your Mobius camera make sure to select "YES" where it says "Sync Date/Time. This will set the camera's clock to match the time set on your computer every time you use the mSetup software. Always remember to do this when Daylight Savings time comes around.

msetup.jpg

Last edited:
Also on the at same msetup page, when using caps set the "Power-Off disconnect" to "Immediate" to save and close the last file properly.

Phil

What's the best firmware and lens for low light? I'm running the cam at night while parked after battery thefts. I have a B lens Mobius and C2 lens Mobius. I purchased a Sandisk 64GB Class 10 card for longer storage times. The problem is, the safest spot is almost totally dark. I'll try to find a safe spot with more illumination, but until then, I need the best firmware and lens combination. I might opt for 32 GB Class 4 card if I have to go back to older firmware. Thanks in advance.

What's the best firmware and lens for low light? I'm running the cam at night while parked after battery thefts. I have a B lens Mobius and C2 lens Mobius. I purchased a Sandisk 64GB Class 10 card for longer storage times. The problem is, the safest spot is almost totally dark. I'll try to find a safe spot with more illumination, but until then, I need the best firmware and lens combination. I might opt for 32 GB Class 4 card if I have to go back to older firmware. Thanks in advance.

Use the latest firmware - v2.41 along with the C2 lens camera which should perform better than the B lens for this purpose.

This doesn't sound like the most ideal situation for the Mobius but try using the dedicated low light setting in mSetup as well as increasing the exposure setting under "Advanced Image Settings".

Be sure to do some tests and see what works best. Make adjustments as necessary.

(You can also try using the contrast and saturation controls in combination with the exposure control to refine your image results. You don't need the perfect picture, just the best evidence you can capture.)

M1.jpg

M1_2.jpg

Last edited:
Does the low-light setting have an adverse effect on recordings made in bright sunlight? I could also tolerate some daytime losses as long as is doesn't 'wash-out' going from shade to bright sun; just need to see and identify the cars around me decently, not count their driver's hairs. I would forget to switch modes so I need one setting for everything :p

Almost ashamed to say it but mine is still on the firmware it came with but msetup has been upgraded- it's always worked good enough so I never 'fixed' it :rolleyes:

Phil

Does the low-light setting have an adverse effect on recordings made in bright sunlight? I could also tolerate some daytime losses as long as is doesn't 'wash-out' going from shade to bright sun; just need to see and identify the cars around me decently, not count their driver's hairs. I would forget to switch modes so I need one setting for everything :p

Almost ashamed to say it but mine is still on the firmware it came with but msetup has been upgraded- it's always worked good enough so I never 'fixed' it :rolleyes:

Phil

The effect of the low light setting is subtle but it does help a bit in low light. As you might expect, bright highlights will tend to blow out on a sunny day if set for low light. I wouldn't be inclined to use the low light setting during the daytime. The setting is kind of a little bump in the shadow detail in low light situations but it's not magic and will not turn the camera into a great low light performer or anything; that's not where the Mobius 1 strengths lie.

What version of the firmware are you using? The most recent is probably the best bet.

What version of the firmware are you using? The most recent is probably the best bet.

Not sure, but I'll update it when I next pull the cam. I'll have something new soon to better handle the low-light needs (if the work here doesn't slow down) ;)

Phil

I've been having issues with my Mobius 1, it works and has the latest firmware, but randomly stops recording. Using FAT32. I'm very frustrated after having this issue repeat despite trying a brand new Micro SD card. What are the odds of this issue going away if I buy a known good Micro SD card (again)? Any chance that this could be a configuration issue? Will the Mobius 1 work with say, a 128gb card?

I've been having issues with my Mobius 1, it works and has the latest firmware, but randomly stops recording. Using FAT32. I'm very frustrated after having this issue repeat despite trying a brand new Micro SD card. What are the odds of this issue going away if I buy a known good Micro SD card (again)? Any chance that this could be a configuration issue? Will the Mobius 1 work with say, a 128gb card?

Does your Mobius have a battery or a super-capacitor?

SD card may be faulty. How did you format it to FAT32? Is it done in camera?

what cards are you using? purchased were?

lots of second rate cards out there

I buy my Samsung evo sd memory cards from

www.mymemory.co.uk

Very good and reliable company that sell memory sticks, sd cards etc. I was intent that Kingston was the way forward when I first purchased my möbius but it failed to record segments. I read on here and also recommended by möbius action cam webpage that Samsung evo sd cards are more reliable.

Back again after a lengthy hiatus. I had my windshield replaced yesterday, so I brought in the Mobius C2 c/w super capacitor that I use as my dash cam and had a look at some of the files. (recordings) I have elected to record with a 3 min clip. Now I was under the impression that the files would carry on one after the other albeit with that one second overlap. However, when one of the files was over, it just shut down. No continuity. In order to see the next file I had to set it up, push play and carry on like that. I was certain I ran into this problem before, but here I am again. I took advantage of the time to download the latest firmware, switching from 3.0.6.2 to 4.0.11.0. I looked carefully at the parameters that I had set up, and it would appear that all was the way it was supposed to be. The 'MOV' was set ensuring the one second overlap while viewing your files. Why would the file just stop and not carry on into the next one? Most puzzling... :banghead:

Someone else may of mentioned this but try resetting the möbius on the unit itself?

Back again after a lengthy hiatus. I had my windshield replaced yesterday, so I brought in the Mobius C2 c/w super capacitor that I use as my dash cam and had a look at some of the files. (recordings) I have elected to record with a 3 min clip. Now I was under the impression that the files would carry on one after the other albeit with that one second overlap. However, when one of the files was over, it just shut down. No continuity. In order to see the next file I had to set it up, push play and carry on like that. I was certain I ran into this problem before, but here I am again. I took advantage of the time to download the latest firmware, switching from 3.0.6.2 to 4.0.11.0. I looked carefully at the parameters that I had set up, and it would appear that all was the way it was supposed to be. The 'MOV' was set ensuring the one second overlap while viewing your files. Why would the file just stop and not carry on into the next one? Most puzzling... :banghead:

Switching from 3.0.6.2 to 4.0.11.0 has nothing to do with the Mobius firmware. Version 4.0.11.0 you downloaded and installed on your computer is the latest version of mSetup, the GUI menu app that allows you to control the settings on your camera.

The most recent firmware for the Mobius camera is v.2.41 which you can download by clicking THIS LINK.

Follow the instructions on the Mobius Instruction Manual if you are not familiar with the procedure. You can download the Mobius Instruction Manual by clicking THIS LINK.

After you update/re-install your firmware be sure to format your memory card.

Upon re-reading your post, it sounds like perhaps you are misunderstanding how this all works since you mention the need to hit "play" to "see the next file" with "No continuity". That would be normal. Each 3 minute clip recorded by the Mobius is a separate movie. It will over-lap the recording from the previous 3 minute clip by one second but all the clips you recorded on the camera will not automatically play themselves one after another in most media players. The concept is that you only select the particular clips you wish to view.

Okay. I understand the concept regarding the one click/one clip. However, when I was viewing Techmoan's YouTube channel quite some time ago, he made special mention of the fact that the clips will 'skip back', or 'overlap' during playback. Now, this appears not to be happening. Should I be highlighting more than just one at a time in order for this system to work? (n)

Okay. I understand the concept regarding the one click/one clip. However, when I was viewing Techmoan's YouTube channel quite some time ago, he made special mention of the fact that the clips will 'skip back', or 'overlap' during playback. Now, this appears not to be happening. Should I be highlighting more than just one at a time in order for this system to work? (n)

Techmoan is splicing two clips together in his video to get the effect you are referring to. If each click captures (duplicates) one second from the end of the previous clip it will appear to "skip back" for one second because that one second of the clip has been duplicated if you splice together the two clips.

The whole point of the camera capturing an extra second of time from the previous clip is to prevent any possibility of missing a vital moment. If you want to do some sort of cinematic narrative with several consecutive clips and you want them to look seamless you can edit out that extra second or use a media player that will do it for you but most people just ignore this for dash cam videos because it is a minor issue and the extra overlapped second is worth having in there.

depends on the playback software you're using if it is set to play all files or not, players such as Windows Media Player by default will just play one file and then stop

Back