Mobius support thread and Tech Guide (post all problems/help requests here) Read posts #1-8 first

I’d like to use it as a dash-cam. The footage quality is not good with the lens the mobius came with, especially at night. Pictures are attached.

I’ve ordered a “D” lens to see whether there’s any improvement. On that note, how should I configure “lens D” using mSetup as its not listed there (only a, b, c2 are listed).

Yours looks like the C2, it's better than the D lens in low light.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/videos-mobius-c2-lens-vs-d-lens-rear.28580/

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/videos-mobius-d-lens-rear.28394/

Last edited:
According to eletoponline365's ebay page, the lens specs are:
A2 - aperture F2.0, focal length 3.2mm, horizontal FOV 90 degrees (on 1/3" sensor)
C2 - aperture F2.0, focal length 2.3mm, horizontal FOV 130 degrees
D - aperture F2.8, focal length 2.66mm, horizontal FOV 'about 130 degrees' :unsure:

So the C2 has a larger aperture (smaller F-stop value) which is generally better for recording at night

According to eletoponline365's ebay page, the lens specs are:
A2 - aperture F2.0, focal length 3.2mm, horizontal FOV 90 degrees (on 1/3" sensor)
C2 - aperture F2.0, focal length 2.3mm, horizontal FOV 130 degrees
D - aperture F2.8, focal length 2.66mm, horizontal FOV 'about 130 degrees' :unsure:

So the C2 has a larger aperture (smaller F-stop value) which is generally better for recording at night

It's been fascinating to see this information actually being provided on Mobius' eletoponline365 eBay page.

Although I've posted about some of this previously, in light of Tony's post above I feel compelled to revisit the issue.

As many of you know I spent months asking Peter from Mobius to provide me with this very basic lens information as a beta tester, especially after he sent me an early A2 lens Mobius to check out. I had the same experience with a prototype M2 lens that was shipped to me along with an early release M2.

On April 14, 2017 I said in an email: "

"For some reason you keep ignoring my questions but I will ask one more time. What is the aperture, focal length and FOV on the A2 lens and the A lens?"

On April 20. 2017 Peter wrote back:

"Sometimes the lens spec could be very confusing. You may know some lenses claimed to be 170 degrees FOV, is actually narrower than our 130 degrees. You may find some F/2.8 lens is brighter than F/2.0 lens. There are design spec, manufacturing spec, and actual spec using for a specific sensor according to lab tests. They might be different. And also we may have different terms. Actually I did not try to ignore your questions. I was trying too hard to get the spec more accurately."

Huh? That's the answer I finally get??

And now this basic simple and straightforward information is presented (as it should be) on the sales pages.

Unbelievable!

I guess it's progress.

Any ideas the specs for the B lens?

True, but users like me still have it :)

@dirkzelf That sounds interesting. So in a nutshell what lens is ideal and where to buy?

Last edited:
@BioHazarD That sounds interesting. So in a nutshell what lens is ideal and where to buy?

There is no "ideal" lens. It depends entirely on how you wish to use your Mobius camera. I have a Mobius facing rearwards in my pick-up truck that has the B lens on it and it's "ideal" for that purpose (116º FOV), in this particular vehicle. I have two Mobi facing laterally out the rear side windows of my vehicle both of which have C2 lenses on them (131º FOV) and they are "ideal" for that purpose.

@TonyM

How did you refocus lenses on the M2?
Slowly, by trial and error

Twist lens... Shoot video... Review video... Twist again... Shoot again... Review again

Hi

Searched but did not find a solution.
I have a Mobius camera and i wanted to use it as a dashcam. Problem is i get really bad sound interference when using a 8" lens extension cable. Tested it in car and indoors, with capacitor, internal battery and different extension cables. I have also tested different sd cards, done software update and reseted the camera. Nothing helps. When i switch to the original short cable, the buzzing sound disappears. Tried to wrap the cable in aluminium foil but it didn't help. Shurely there must be a fix for this issue?? Last solution would be sending my camera back but i really wouldn't like to be camless for another month or so.
Thankful for any help.

The 8" cable is known to be interference prone. Have you tried the 2" cable? I use one for my rear facing cam and it seems to be fine. I wish they had a 3" one though.

The problem with shielding is that the shield need to be tied to some point as drain. Also, there is some risk to introduce stray capacitance to the bundle and impact video data.

In my DIY projects with the 8 inch Mobius remote lens cable I experienced no noises or interference at all. The only time I've ever encountered noises such as buzzing on the Mobius (or other dash cams) is when the camera is not receiving quite enough voltage or current. Often when this happens any buzzing sounds you hear will be pulsating. In one instance, I had a pulsating buzzing noise on videos when the Mobius was used with a certain power bank and I came to understand that the problem was likely due to a ripple frequency produced by the bank.

Another potential cause of noises on video can be the particular memory card you are using due to their current requirements. Some popular name brand cards might manifest the problem under certain circumstances and others might not, so that's one thing the could be explored here. In fact, Mobius specifically mentions this issue in the Instruction Manual:

"You should always use cards from well known brands. Low quality and no-name cards, as well as some class 2 (or less) cards, may draw more than 20mA current than quality cards. This can result in unwanted electrical noise such as clicks, chirps, hum and buzzing in the audio recording. Fast cards, class 10 and above, even from well-know brands can also produce unwanted electrical noise so should be avoided."

Thanks for Your replies. No i haven't tried the 2" cable because it would be too short for my setup. I have tried Sandisk and Kingston class 10 sd cards. About voltage or current.... tested with original battery, aswell with the capacitor when plugged into laptop usb port and into usb adapter in my car.

Thanks for Your replies. No i haven't tried the 2" cable because it would be too short for my setup. I have tried Sandisk and Kingston class 10 sd cards. About voltage or current.... tested with original battery, aswell with the capacitor when plugged into laptop usb port and into usb adapter in my car.

I would recommend trying it with a suitable AC powered USB charger that outputs at least 1 amp, just to rule out this question once and for all. Some car chargers can be problematic (base on my personal experience) and laptops may not put out as much current as required from their USB ports.

I would also suggest removing the 8 inch cable completely and then put the whole thing back together making sure that all ribbon connectors are all fully seated, just to rule that out as a possible cause.

I have reinstalled two of my 8" cables many times and results have been the same. I just plugged it into 2 amp phone charger and got different even worse buzzing. Could not hear anything else over it.
Here is a short sample clip of my problem:

I have reinstalled two of my 8" cables many times and results have been the same. I just plugged it into 2 amp phone charger and got different even worse buzzing. Could not hear anything else over it.
Here is a short sample clip of my problem:

The video seems to be "unavailable".

Not sure what else to suggest.

OK, the video appears to be working now. That's a noise I've not heard before on the Mobius butit's similar to the low voltage noises I'm familiar with.

One last thing to suggest. If you happen to have a different lens module on hand see if swapping it with the other one makes a difference.

Last edited:
Back