Mobius support thread and Tech Guide (post all problems/help requests here) Read posts #1-8 first

I'm confused as hell.
1)
I've been using my Mobius as a dashcam for 3 years. For the last few weeks it occasionally was not starting to record when I start the car. I reuploaded firmware, reformatted the 64GB Kingston Class 10 ExFAT with SDformatter. It has recorded a few times randomly in the middle of the drive but stopped again. It does a random one of two things: The blue led starts slow flashing as soon as I start the car, as if there is no SD card in it. Does not record. Or the blue big led and the red tiny led flashes in turn, once each every 3 seconds. Does not record.
I tested the SD card with Flash Drive Tester V 114. Nothing unusual. I tried another Kingston 4GB Class 4 card (the one I've been using before) with FAT32. The same results.
2)
I put the capacitor into my spare, newer version, almost unused Mobius 1 with C2 lens. I tried both SD cards, plus another Toshiba 32GB Class 4 which was proven before with battery recordings. I start the car, the big led flashes blue and the tiny led red, once each every 3 seconds. No recording. Connected to PC again, inserted 32GB Class 4, in-camera formatted, tried again. Now, absolutely no response when I start the car. When I press on-off button, the blue led flashes once and no more response. I press again, blue flash once, no response.
3)
I cannot downgrade the firmware with both cameras. It stays at 2.41.

Cards and power supplies are the most common sources of dashcams problems. I would do a full test on the cards with the h2testw freeware, then format the cards to fat32 using sdformatter freeware, then format again in the cam. Möbius does not do video recording well in Exfat. Use a home phone charger to test the cam. If it works there, the problem is the PS or cabling. If still no luck, try a hard reset with a paper clip. If still no luck the caps may have gone bad. Also be certain that msetup is up-to-date on your computer.

Always diagnose one step at a time, then check each step before trying something else. Möbius is solid reliable hardware and software so this can probably be worked out easily.

Phil

Thanks. I checked the power supply and the cord. Everything is in order. Somehow it decided to record on all three SD cards without changing anything. :S Btw, how do you downgrade the firmware?

Opened up my original Mobius 1 tonight to an unwelcome surprise! The swollen battery 'popped' off the case as I undid the screws.

y4mrO4G0PEE5GFx2mFNAhszHRl6LGSMEmxZbXZvNVDwFoEzAIsw5G3uwUtI3dSPzZ8HQhnoi5f7gixusS1ddAnH78rWEsC6ZfBQsT5fO-tBplCqHPhriNS8vvwlnsrSNG197zOwhyGPDL46XCGgVZqYzemERid1vkBkhMe4Lc0Yy7liyCnkh8pPjK-1O_9-3gej_tGlxzw_dSiHxE2dHbTOMA

I have now installed a capacitor which should be a lot safer!

Same happened to me! I noticed that inserting/de jecting the micro sd card out of my mobius was a struggle, decided to strip it down that same day & noticed a swollen battery! Instantly ordered a super capacitor & a spare Normal battery for almost under £15!

Question to those in the know!! I have just got home from a ride, having my Mobius C2 soaking up the scenery while I was cruising along. Hooked up the Mobius to the computer to view the results. For some reason, the order in which these 3 minute videos playback (which I have recording under the MOV parameter) is a total gamble. They will not play in order: 1,2,3,4,5,etc. They will however, play, for instance, 2,17,12,3,11, etc. Why is this? :unsure:

Question to those in the know!! I have just got home from a ride, having my Mobius C2 soaking up the scenery while I was cruising along. Hooked up the Mobius to the computer to view the results. For some reason, the order in which these 3 minute videos playback (which I have recording under the MOV parameter) is a total gamble. They will not play in order: 1,2,3,4,5,etc. They will however, play, for instance, 2,17,12,3,11, etc. Why is this? :unsure:
Here I am answering my own post again. It would appear that my computer had the 'shuffle play' option on. So, during playback, it was a mixture of clips. Now that I am aware of this, I put it back to 'non-shuffle play', and all is well once again. D'oh!:rolleyes:

When running with an external power bank (Xiaomi 10000mAh), my Mobius with capacitor records for 5 min and jumps into standby mode. No problem with lighter adapter. Why would this happen? I'm measuring 5V at the socket of the power bank. It's rated to give 2.1A or 1A output. I've been using it occasionally for uninterrupted recording exceeding 24 hours.

I'm actually trying to run my Mobius rear dash cam with a power bank. Dies someone know if there is a function that the mobius automatically switches from loop recording mode to parking mode / motion detection mode?

I'm actually trying to run my Mobius rear dash cam with a power bank. Dies someone know if there is a function that the mobius automatically switches from loop recording mode to parking mode / motion detection mode?

Not automatically I'm afraid.

What sort of power bank are you using? A decent quality 20,000 mAh power bank should run a Mobius camera full time for as much as two days, give or take.

@Dashmellow
Alright, that's too bad because I was hoping that my loop records did not get deleted. So the only solution for me is to switch the motion detection mode on manually.

At the moment it's only a 10,000 mAh power bank.

Edit: I just found out that the power bank has no pass throgh, so I have to buy a new one anyway.

Last edited:
@Dashmellow
Alright, that's too bad because I was hoping that my loop records did not get deleted. So the only solution for me is to switch the motion detection mode on manually.

If your concern is the looped clips being written over the obvious thing to do is try a larger capacity memory card. How many hours of parking mode do you want/need to record before files are overwritten? A 10,000 mAh power bank should provide, many, many hours of recording time.

If you haven't already, check out the DCT Recording Time Calculator. - https://dashcamtalk.com/recording-time-calculator/

@Dashmellow

Edit: I just found out that the power bank has no pass throgh, so I have to buy a new one anyway.

You might find this useful. It have high capacity, pass through charging and cost $30. Xiaomi is a reputable brand too.

https://www.xda-developers.com/xiaomis-20000mah-mi-power-bank-3-charges-devices-45w-usb-c-30/

I intend to get one and connect my front and rear Mobius to this.

So the only solution for me is to switch the motion detection mode on manually.

Some folks just leave motion detect on when driving as there is almost always enough motion to keep the cam recording then. You would have to try this yourself to see which settings work best. I let my Mobius record constantly 1080P 30FPS, and a 64GB card gives me almost 9 hours use before looping at default bitrate, so a 256GB card should give about 34 hours I'd guess. You could also record without looping, but the main problem with this is that you might forget to DL the files and not get a recording when you need it most because the card is filled. So I think the larger card with looping is more sensible.

Phil

I will try it out with motion detection always on, maybe that's a solution already.

I also didn't know that the mobius can work with a 256GB card, I always thought 128 GB is the most. I'm actually using 64 GB cards.

Hey im facing a weird issue. My camera picks up in msetup and is on v2.41. I have it setup for super capacitor recording, and when i for example plug it into a wall charger it will start to record. But when I go in my car (both cars), connected to the usb ports the mobius just produces a solid orange light and no recording. On the wall charger it will blink to show it is recording.

Any suggestions on this?

cheers

Hey im facing a weird issue. My camera picks up in msetup and is on v2.41. I have it setup for super capacitor recording, and when i for example plug it into a wall charger it will start to record. But when I go in my car (both cars), connected to the usb ports the mobius just produces a solid orange light and no recording. On the wall charger it will blink to show it is recording.

Any suggestions on this?

cheers
Is it a data or power-only USB socket in the cars? If you unplug and plug back in, does it then start recording?

Is it a data or power-only USB socket in the cars? If you unplug and plug back in, does it then start recording?
they are power sockets, no it just seems to just go to a solid orange and not record. Not sure if its a setting somewhere? But i mean it records when plugged into the mains adaptor.

Back