Mobius Telephoto Dashcam

Looks like you're in for a visit to AliExpress where you'll likely find lens module barrels with the correct screw spacing. What is the spacing on the A129 lens module BTW?

don't remember the numbers offhand but the Sony sensors do need a different lens base to the Aptina sensors as the sizes are different, suspect that off the shelf models to suit might be a very limited choice

don't remember the numbers offhand but the Sony sensors do need a different lens base to the Aptina sensors as the sizes are different, suspect that off the shelf models to suit might be a very limited choice

The one in the photo @Harsh posted doesn't look highly unusual so my guess is that one could find something that would work. From what I've seen they are generally available in 18mm, 20mm and 22mm screw spacing. You would know more than me I 'spose.

129 - 1 (1).png

the screw spacing is different to the Aptina ones and will be available, how much room it takes up on the board will come into it also as it can foul some components if the size is wrong, we had to get lens bases made for ours as we couldn't get anything off the shelf that worked, if you need a longer barrel to suit some of these other lenses that may be a challenge also

I see your point. Still, at this point it would be worth seeing what might be available. If it were me and I had the time to indulge I might take a DIY approach. I've noticed that there are other metric 12mmx.05 threaded parts available here and there that are entirely unrelated to lens mounts. For example, somewhere I saw some brass lamp parts that might work as a component in a DIY lens mount. Depends on how much effort one wants to put into a project like this.

the screw spacing is different to the Aptina ones and will be available, how much room it takes up on the board will come into it also as it can foul some components if the size is wrong, we had to get lens bases made for ours as we couldn't get anything off the shelf that worked, if you need a longer barrel to suit some of these other lenses that may be a challenge also

BTW, when you say you had to get custom lens mounts built, which cameras were they used in?

Looks like you're in for a visit to AliExpress where you'll likely find lens module barrels with the correct screw spacing. What is the spacing on the A129 lens module BTW?

Using a ruler, it's 19mm. The generic one I have is 20mm and compared to the one on the A129, it looks huge. Top/bottom on the generic one is 16mm, A129 is 14mm.

Now I need 8 cams in my van to achieve good coverage. Will you people stop coming up with these ideas so I can eat instead of buying more dashcams? :ROFLMAO:

Phil

Have one I'd like to pass on, the pre-production A129. Doesn't work with the latest firmware and can't add telephoto lenses but otherwise works just fine.

I was being a bit sarcastic :p While I could put just about any cam to use, I have specific cams and ideas in mind because the way my work van is configured, the 4 cams covering the rear half will require alterations which I want to make only once, and wiring done more permanently than I have now. With 4 cams going, I'm in decent shape right now- only the sides of the rear lack cam coverage. I never got around to putting the varifocal lens I have on my Mobuis which will probably happen once I get it going again. I do plan for wide and telephoto at both ends now that I am seeing what they can do for me :cool: Just need time and energy to get done everything else that needs doing before I jump back to camming the big old bus ;)

Phil

I was being a bit sarcastic :p While I could put just about any cam to use, I have specific cams and ideas in mind because the way my work van is configured, the 4 cams covering the rear half will require alterations which I want to make only once, and wiring done more permanently than I have now. With 4 cams going, I'm in decent shape right now- only the sides of the rear lack cam coverage. I never got around to putting the varifocal lens I have on my Mobuis which will probably happen once I get it going again. I do plan for wide and telephoto at both ends now that I am seeing what they can do for me :cool: Just need time and energy to get done everything else that needs doing before I jump back to camming the big old bus ;)

Phil

I saw the ROFLMAO emoji, didn't mean the way it probably came across, sorry.

My next planned purchases will be Mobius, both for setting up telephoto and because of reliability. My work van is a terrible environment for cams in the summer, and my planned mountings will not be easily accessible or very cool. I would trust only Möbius for my plans back there.

Phil

My next planned purchases will be Mobius, both for setting up telephoto and because of reliability. My work van is a terrible environment for cams in the summer, and my planned mountings will not be easily accessible or very cool. I would trust only Möbius for my plans back there.

Phil

HI Phil, are you getting the Mobius 1? I'm interested in how the latest version of Mobius 1 performs for you if that is what you are getting.

@Lola
Yes, that is my plan but it will be a few weeks or more before I can do anything. As far as I know there hasn't been any recent changes other than with the lens which seems to be improved. If they have changed anything else significant I will source the older boards and parts from Banggood and build my own because I want exactly what I have now, not something different. I dread the day when they cannot longer make the M1 due to obsolete parts not being available, but many cheaper cams still use the same chipset/CMOS so I think we have some years left to go.

Phil

This is the 5MP 8mm fixed lens from Treeye on the Mobius 1 camera, I focused this indoors in webcam mode on an object 10 metres away. I have it set to the lens B profile. Number plates are clear in traffic and I plan to leave it set this way.
I also have the 5MP Varifocal 6-22mm ƒ/1.6 zoom lens with similar settings but the 8mm fixed is much more discrete and will be a keeper in my car.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Im7m31ke-An3IYcOVBors5d2BYG8b4bi/view?usp=sharing

Yes, I mean to use the thread locker to lock the lens for the case where you have no set screw. I though it more as for a semi-permanent installation as I would use it myself for, you know, set and forget dashcam application. The red Vibra-tite actually stays relatively soft and does not appear to flake off like the normal stuff that jackalopephoto mentioned.

Obviously, if you intent on swapping out the lens frequently, then it's not a good solution. Personally, I find that swapping lens to be a PITA, these small threads seem to be very delicate, I've already damaged one mount. I'd rather swap the sensor board instead of the lens when I want to experiment.

I have not yet found a source for just the mount used by Mobius. Most of the ones I see are 20 mm hole spacing instead of 18 mm. I should contact buymobius.com to see if they would sell me just the mount and not the entire lens+mount+sensor assembly.

I found a 10 piece lot of M12 18mm lens holders here. Total price with shipping for 10 mounts is $11.56

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/M12...28a0-4a8a-b69d-715f259fb3b2&priceBeautifyAB=0

M12 Mount Board Lens Holder for CMOS sensors, spacing, metal 18mm for 3.7mm lens

If a given lens assembly is to long you can find many different m12 extension rings here.
https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesal...903205830&SearchText=Extension+Ring+M12+Mount

Last edited:
I found a 10 piece lot of M12 18mm lens holders here. Total price with shipping for 10 mounts is $11.56

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/M12...28a0-4a8a-b69d-715f259fb3b2&priceBeautifyAB=0

M12 Mount Board Lens Holder for CMOS sensors, spacing, metal 18mm for 3.7mm lens

If a given lens assembly is to long you canf idn many different m12 extension rings here.
https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesal...903205830&SearchText=Extension+Ring+M12+Mount

That's a good find @country_hick! They may be too shallow in depth to be practical for use in the Mobius cameras though. The lens holders in your link are only 8.2mm in height whereas Mobius lens holders are about 12.5mm in height. (Not sure about other current Mobius lens holders as I haven't measured them but if they are different they are likely to be taller rather than shorter.) Too short a lens barrel may present various problems with MBF, BFL, secure fit within the Mobius camera housing and module slots, as well as general lens stability. So, anyone considering buying these lenses holders should probably do some measuring and testing first.

holder_thread_depth.jpg

Back