Mobius V2 vs Joovuu X

According to the video I checked from Mobius 2, the video quality is not so good at this moment, they have lots of work to do.
I don't think they use IMX291 sensor, someone talked they use Panasonic 2MP sensor, the video quality is similar as one of my dashcam which use Hisilicon chipset and Panasonic 2MP sensor.

Develop camera based on Hisilicon, really require a very powerful develop team, Hisilicon only provide basic SDK not like Novatek.

I recall that the original Mobius had numerous video quality issues when it was first released. It was the almost OCD level of ongoing firmware development and update releases that lead to the current level of polished video quality and list of implemented features that were not there upon initial release.

Shortly after the video clips you are referring to were posted yesterday, Tom Franks said that, "I received three new FW versions for evaluation today that address much lower sharpening, WB stability and low light improvement."

In any case, I recall Tom Franks explaining that the firmware for the new Mobius 2 is Linux based and the SDK is minimal at best. Apparently, as such, this is been a challenging endeavor with numerous pitfalls and unexpected set-backs which has been the cause of the delays.

I know many people, including me have been discouraged that the roll-out of the Mobius 2 has taken so long and that it will still take even more time before the firmware is as polished as we'd like to see. Then again, this is Mobius and anyone purchasing a uniquely developed and marketed camera like this should know what they are buying into.

It could turn out to be that the Mobius 2 is a complete bust or maybe it will be vindicated and eventually become as revered as the Mobius 1. We need to wait and see.

The whole argument in this thread has been all about not jumping to pre-mature, possibly self-serving conclusions inappropriately posted to a thread launched by a "professional reviewer" before a range of people including the OP himself can fully evaluate this fledgling camera after the production version and its first firmware iterations get into enough hands.

As for the thread's ridiculous premise of comparing the JooVuu-X and the Mobius 2, dismissing the Mobius 2 out-of-hand, one should recall all of the pre-release hype and promotional build up for the X only to see it finally introduced with numerous firmware flaws, app flaws, indecision about mounts, last minute, mid pre-release offer price jumps and other teething problems. Now, all this time later it is a much more mature, polished and re-priced product that continues to benefit from ongoing development having been on the market long enough to gain its footing.

Keep that in mind when comparing to another, basically very different camera that has barely touched its foot in the water at this point in time.

BTW, as far as I am aware, the video clips from the Mobius 2 referred to by @gitup were posted by our own @jokiin yesterday. I'm curious to know why @jokiin would post those clips to the RCgroups, but not here, knowing how very interested a great many DCT members would be in seeing them.

Last edited:
BTW, as far as I am aware, the video clips from the Mobius 2 referred to by @gitup were posted by our own @jokiin yesterday. I'm curious to know why @jokiin would post those clips to the RCgroups, but not here, knowing how very interested a great many DCT members would be in seeing them.

I also noticed the posts to RCGroups by jokiin. That he's bought an M2, & is posting constructive criticism about it, may help accelerate the firmware improvement process.

I also noticed the posts to RCGroups by jokiin. That he's bought an M2, & is posting constructive criticism about it, may help accelerate the firmware improvement process.

That's true. It was just puzzling, considering jokiin's presence here on DCT and the anticipation regarding the introduction of this product that he hadn't yet mentioned that he already has obtained an M2 and posted video elsewhere but not here. I'm sure he will explain.

i think Rick is very kind not to post sample clips in DCT and youtube too. The first batch of a model is almost never good. In google rank search, youtube search the bad sample in first time can detroy a good product. :)
Yeah, i feel luky i not buy a mobius 2. After few times, i understand to judge a model, i will have to patience a wait a few months. :)
Yeah, so at the momment, joovuu x is a better choice than mobius 2. ;)

There is way too much drama on these forums... completely unnecessary. There will always be bias but that doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. Just look for the most important objective factors: video quality, features, reliability, price, etc.

I could go more in depth with my product reviews but I deliberately keep them as simple and concise as possible, focusing only on the key areas listed above.

i think he is very kind not to post sample clips in DCT. The first batch of a model is almost never good. In google rank search, youtube search the bad sample in first time can detroy a good product. :)
Yeah, i feel luky i not buy a mobius 2. After few times, i understand to judge a model, i will have to patience a wait a few months. :)
Yeah, so at the momment, joovuu x is a better choice than mobius 2. ;)

I take your point about not posting sample clips that may be unflattering. But if the idea is to be "kind" about about such things, then don't post them anywhere, as they will surely be disseminated immediately.

Good or bad, people want and deserve an opportunity to see the performance of a camera and then to provide feedback that assists in improving the performance. With many cameras on the market today, especially the Mobius, it's a process.

I take your point about not posting sample clips that may be unflattering. But if the idea is to be "kind" about about such things, then don't post them anywhere, as they will surely be disseminated immediately.

Good or bad, people want and deserve an opportunity to see the performance of a camera and then to provide feedback that assists in improving the performance. With many cameras on the market today, especially the Mobius, it's a process.
Because you are not a seller. Almost customer do not have time to read or watch every review, every clips about 1 model. They may make a very quick decision after see a video on youtube.
I has the same problem when i try to sell mobius 1 at my market. 99% customers always too lazy to read/see a full review (especially in english). And mobius' video in youtube is very suck. But convince them to download samples to their computer: well, even Ethan Hunt come from "Mission impossible movie" can not make them do that. :D

Because you are not a seller. Almost customer do not have time to read or watch every review, every clips about 1 model. They may make a very quick decision after see a video on youtube.
I has the same problem when i try to sell mobius 1 at my market. 99% customers always too lazy to read/see a full review (especially in english). And mobius' video in youtube is very suck. But convince them to download samples to their computer: well, even Ethan Hunt come from "Mission impossible movie" can not make them do that. :D

I think the dash cam market in Vietnam may be very different in that regard than in some other countries. And sure, people can be lazy but if the amount of scrutiny and analyzing and comparing of dash cams we see here on DashCamTalk is any indication, then many people are not quite so prone to making quick decisions based on a single video they see on YouTube.

Also, I think the Mobius is also unique in this regard. It is primarily an enthusiast's product used by RC, FPV hobbyists as well as dash cam customers and the average customer is far more likely to do his due diligence and know what they are buying than many other typical dash cam or action cam consumers.

Last edited:
Nope, I do some research/study about how to make a good review. Many reviews have a better/true information/knowledge but they are not popular. But techmoan is. Why ?
Because the way he make a review, the way he transmit informations, the speed of he voice is similar to speed viewrs receive informations. It combines together besides of his knowledge.
That's the nature of human: lazy. :D

Nope, I do some research/study about how to make a good review. Many reviews have a better/true information/knowledge but they are not popular. But techmoan is. Why ?
Because the way he make a review, the way he transmit informations, the speed of he voice is similar to speed viewrs receive informations. It combines together besides of his knowledge.
That's the nature of human: lazy. :D

So you seem to be suggesting that people shouldn't ever post test footage from cameras online unless they are a smooth talking reviewer/presenter. :) I don't see that happening in today's internet.

Speaking of being lazy, there have been many times when I just don't have the patience to sit through some of Techmoan's lengthier efforts. :D

So you seem to be suggesting that people shouldn't ever post test footage from cameras online unless they are a smooth talking reviewer/presenter. :) I don't see that happening in today's internet.

Speaking of being lazy, there have been many times when I just don't have the patience to sit through some of Techmoan's lengthier efforts. :D
The ratio of ppl go to forums and spend hours for reading is very small than ppl watch some video on youtube or some adv on website and they make a decision very quickly. Still have few read forums, but very small. :D
You are boring with Techmoan review because you are not a lazy like the others. Many ppl include me can't read all the manual of mobius carefully but you are the one which did it. :D The good review cant do for everyone: ones who know nothing are diffirent with ones know almost everything. :)

The ratio of ppl go to forums and spend hours for reading is very small than ppl watch some video on youtube or some adv on website and they make a decision very quickly. Still have few read forums, but very small. :D
You are boring with Techmoan review because you are not a lazy like the others. Many ppl include me can't read all the manual of mobius carefully but you are the one which did it. :D The good review cant do for everyone: ones who know nothing are diffirent with ones know almost everything. :)

You may well be right, but as I said, I think when it comes to the Mobius I believe the average buyer probably does his homework before purchasing. Probably the same with similar enthusiast cams such as the Runcam and Foxeer, etc.

I thought about posting them here but didn't want it to be misinterpreted as criticism of the product, it has a long way to go still, I'm not sure what they're doing but the testing of betas seems very limited, it seems to just a few people, the type of footage Tom shoots for example flying over his house, that's the kind of use that interests him so it's still very valid, but it won't reveal half the problems it has, I think once they get a group of end users providing a wider variety of sample footage it will help them a lot, this is stuff they really need to see if they want to get it sorted

I'm sure that's when Mobius 1 firmware started to improve also, once they got real world samples, I know all too well you can't work with minimal footage and lab tests if you want to improve things

And Isoprop has played around with M2 almost a year ?
So, having used the M2 for almost a year, and weighing the pros and cons, I no longer consider the side-mounted buttons a major inconvenience - but I definitely recommend setting the 'Power Button On' parameter to 'Delayed'.
But only when M2 release, problems appear :D

I just had a look of the footage Jokiin have made, and i think its alright for release footage.
So we will just have to see how long it take to shut up the most loud ppl complaining about the camera.

Cant tell about this. Hope so.
I just had a look of the footage Jokiin have made, and i think its alright for release footage.
So we will just have to see how long it take to shut up the most loud ppl complaining about the camera.
I've just seen video of M2 in youtube. It like M1, is ready suck comparing to raw file :(

I thought about posting them here but didn't want it to be misinterpreted as criticism of the product, it has a long way to go still, I'm not sure what they're doing but the testing of betas seems very limited, it seems to just a few people, the type of footage Tom shoots for example flying over his house, that's the kind of use that interests him so it's still very valid, but it won't reveal half the problems it has, I think once they get a group of end users providing a wider variety of sample footage it will help them a lot, this is stuff they really need to see if they want to get it sorted

I'm sure that's when Mobius 1 firmware started to improve also, once they got real world samples, I know all too well you can't work with minimal footage and lab tests if you want to improve things

To repeat what I said earlier, "Good or bad, people want and deserve an opportunity to see the performance of a camera and then to provide feedback that assists in improving the performance. With many cameras on the market today, especially the Mobius, it's a process."

Despite the nature of the OPs first post and all the rest of it, I think most of us are interested in seeing the first footage from the M2 regardless of how the chips might fall.

So how did you get hold of a Mobius 2 so fast? :D Perhaps you have special access.;)

Last edited:
It fell of the back of a truck :D

So how did you get hold of a Mobius 2 so fast? :D Perhaps you have special access.;)

I ordered off eBay, after you did, just by regular post as well, not sure why it arrived so fast, I have samples of most cameras of interest (not much of the generic Chinese junk, just the worthy stuff) as I like to see where others are at in the development, we use for side by side testing etc, particularly when there are models that use the same components we are using on some projects

To repeat what I said earlier, "Good or bad, people want and deserve an opportunity to see the performance of a camera and then to provide feedback that assists in improving the performance. With many cameras on the market today, especially the Mobius, it's a process."

I figured a couple of people here would have got them around the same time anyway so expected footage would start popping up sooner rather than later

Despite the nature of the OPs first post and all the rest of it

I've never used an X (one of the few cameras I don't have) so can't comment on the question @AndrewL raised, ie; is he wrong that the X would be a better choice than the Mobius 2 right now, as of right now I would say that the Mobius 1 is doing much better video than the Mobius 2, so maybe the X is the better choice if the choice is strictly M2 v X, I don't know that anyone should be looking at the Mobius 2 as a finished product, it is a work in progress, I'm sure they'll be working on addressing the shortcomings soon enough, the hardware certainly has greater potential than the Mobius 1 which has really found its limitations, coming up to a year since the last Mobius 1 firmware suggests they've already got everything out of it that they can

I ordered off eBay, after you did, just by regular post as well, not sure why it arrived so fast, I have samples of most cameras of interest (not much of the generic Chinese junk, just the worthy stuff) as I like to see where others are at in the development, we use for side by side testing etc, particularly when there are models that use the same components we are using on some projects

I figured a couple of people here would have got them around the same time anyway so expected footage would start popping up sooner rather than later

I've never used an X (one of the few cameras I don't have) so can't comment on the question @AndrewL raised, ie; is he wrong that the X would be a better choice than the Mobius 2 right now, as of right now I would say that the Mobius 1 is doing much better video than the Mobius 2, so maybe the X is the better choice if the choice is strictly M2 v X, I don't know that anyone should be looking at the Mobius 2 as a finished product, it is a work in progress, I'm sure they'll be working on addressing the shortcomings soon enough, the hardware certainly has greater potential than the Mobius 1 which has really found its limitations, coming up to a year since the last Mobius 1 firmware suggests they've already got everything out of it that they can

Thanks for your answers.

My beef with AndrewL is that as a "pro" camera reviewer he would make a definitive statement that a camera, any camera, has poorer video than any another (especially one he recommends for affiliate profits) when he has never seen any video from said camera, or claims the build quality is poor when he has actually never seen or handled one......or claims there is no capacitor, when in fact there is. Whether the camera turns out to have better or worse video than the camera he is touting and all the rest of it is irrelevant in this context. The argument is about motives and integrity as a reviewer.

Last edited:
Back