Mobius Varifocal Zoom IR

I just ordered a spare camera housing from BangGood. It'll be a gamble as to whether I get the C2 or A2 housing. User review photos show that one person got an A2 and another got a C2 housing.

I realized it doesn't matter in my case because: 1) if I get a C2 housing, I can use it right away, or 2) if I get another A2 housing, I can cut my broken A2 housing up and still have an intact A2 housing as a backup.

Thanks again for sharing that photo!

As @Harsh showed there are two case interior styles.
The A2 housing allows the small A2 lens to be positioned behind the front edge of the case.

fd06b15e952801c30d712ce8cfbe04a8.image.200x200.jpg

The larger C2 lens sits further forward, in front of the case

3c0d85c5e218e91f95cf30d1f7ea1289.image.200x200.jpg

To install a varifocal lens, the holder needs to sit in the C2 position within the case. Then as @Dashmellow said, you simply screw the varifocal lens in until the back flange is flush against the front edge of the case.

As @Harsh showed there are two case interior styles.

The A2 housing allows the small A2 lens to be positioned behind the front edge of the case.

fd06b15e952801c30d712ce8cfbe04a8.image.200x200.jpg

The larger C2 lens sits further forward, in front of the case

3c0d85c5e218e91f95cf30d1f7ea1289.image.200x200.jpg

To install a varifocal lens, the holder needs to sit in the C2 position within the case. Then as @Dashmellow said, you simply screw the varifocal lens in until the back flange is flush against the front edge of the case.

Thanks--it all makes sense now. I suppose that I would not be able to install a C2 lens module in the A2 housing that I have, so it's lucky that I haven't ordered a C2 lens module yet and stuck with trying to get the varifocal to fit. It would have been supremely disappointing to order the $30 C2 lens module only to find that it also doesn't fit my camera housing!

Thanks--it all makes sense now. I suppose that I would not be able to install a C2 lens module in the A2 housing that I have, so it's lucky that I haven't ordered a C2 lens module yet and stuck with trying to get the varifocal to fit. It would have been supremely disappointing to order the $30 C2 lens module only to find that it also doesn't fit my camera housing!
You can install a C2 in the A2 case by cutting out the middle tab, but then the holder can become loose. Easily fixed with a dab of glue.

When you are moving the lens holder forwards, one other thing to watch out for is the grub screw that sticks out the side of the holder. You might need to grind out a bit of the case interior so the case closes properly. The C2 case already has this done. Not sure about the A2 case.

I just ordered a spare camera housing from BangGood. It'll be a gamble as to whether I get the C2 or A2 housing. User review photos show that one person got an A2 and another got a C2 housing.

I realized it doesn't matter in my case because: 1) if I get a C2 housing, I can use it right away, or 2) if I get another A2 housing, I can cut my broken A2 housing up and still have an intact A2 housing as a backup.

Thanks again for sharing that photo!

If you don't receive a C2 housing but eventually want to obtain one you can contact eletoponline365 on eBay and they will probably be able to provide one for you.

I returned the JETSECAM 5mp 2.8mm-12mm varifocal (approx $20) and received the TREEYE 3mp 2.8mm-12mm varifocal (approx $8), and they are definitely different overall. The JETSECAM was better made and beefier. The TREEYE's M12 threads are out of spec, as it doesn't fit my lens holder well at all, while the JETSECAM screwed right in easily (like the original A2 lens). Also, the IR filter on the JETSECAM was round and nicely glued in--the TREEYE's IR filter is rectangular.

As for actual optical results, they seem about the same with my Mobius 1. I have to wait for the new housing to arrive to really dial in the focus, but the zoom seems the same.

If I had to buy this all over again, I'd buy the JETSECAM again, since it turned out that it was not just a relabeled TREEYE. It might really be 5mp (I have no way of testing this).

I returned the JETSECAM 5mp 2.8mm-12mm varifocal (approx $20) and received the TREEYE 3mp 2.8mm-12mm varifocal (approx $8), and they are definitely different overall. The JETSECAM was better made and beefier. The TREEYE's M12 threads are out of spec, as it doesn't fit my lens holder well at all, while the JETSECAM screwed right in easily (like the original A2 lens). Also, the IR filter on the JETSECAM was round and nicely glued in--the TREEYE's IR filter is rectangular.

As for actual optical results, they seem about the same with my Mobius 1. I have to wait for the new housing to arrive to really dial in the focus, but the zoom seems the same.

If I had to buy this all over again, I'd buy the JETSECAM again, since it turned out that it was not just a relabeled TREEYE. It might really be 5mp (I have no way of testing this).
I've never heard of an out of spec M12 lens barrel. The M12 spec means that the lens is 12mm in diameter with a 0.5 mm pitch on the threads on the lens barrel. It should screw right into your current lens holder. Can you elaborate on what you mean by "it doesn't fit my lens holder well at all"? I would be surprised to learn that Treeye would send out such a lens as they are a professional and reliable vendor. If the lens truly does have problem, contact them and they will make things right for you.

I'm also surprised to hear that they have a rectangular IR cut filter on the lens (unless they are purchasing them that way) as I was actually personally responsible for the size of the filter they use on their varifocals and how and where they mount them after I suggested an alternative to how they were shipping them originally. Anyway, as long as the rectangular or square IR filter is covering the rear element and doing its job it doesn't really matter what shape it is.

To be honest, I'm kind of disappointed to hear that you ordered another 3MP 2.8mm-12mm varifocal lens. Earlier in this thread I had advocated for you to purchase the 5MP 6mm-22mm lens ƒ1.6 lens instead. From experience it would provide you with noticeably better results.

I would recommend returning the lens and getting the 5MP 6mm-22mm lens. It is overall a much sharper and better lens with greater useful range than the 3MP.

It gave me a lot of trouble screwing into the M12 lens holder as in: a) starting it in the threads was very difficult, and b) screwing it in took quite a lot more torque than the other lenses. It is so tight that I don't need to use the grub screw at all. I removed the TREEYE lens with some effort and had no trouble screwing in the original A2 lens, so it's not the lens holder (it didn't get stripped).

As for why I ordered the same 2.8-12mm, I had ordered the TREEYE just a few hours before your advice to switch to the 6mm-22mm and could not cancel the order since it had already been marked as shipped. I thank you for your advice--it was just bad timing. I was rushing to take advantage of a time-limited discount on AliExpress.

I might still order the 6mm-22mm, but probably not; if the current TREEYE 2.8-12mm works fine, I'll likely just stick with it. The zoom distance range of the 2.8-12mm is fine for my purposes.

Last edited:
It gave me a lot of trouble screwing into the M12 lens holder as in: a) starting it in the threads was very difficult, and b) screwing it in took quite a lot more torque than the other lenses. It is so tight that I don't need to use the grub screw at all. I removed the TREEYE lens with some effort and had no trouble screwing in the original A2 lens, so it's not the lens holder (it didn't get stripped).

As for why I ordered the same 2.8-12mm, I had ordered the TREEYE just a few hours before your advice to switch to the 6mm-22mm and could not cancel the order since it had already been marked as shipped. I thank you for your advice--it was just bad timing.

I might still order the 6mm-22mm, but probably not; if the current TREEYE 2.8-12mm works fine, I'll likely just stick with it.

The lens holders Mobius is using these days are made of FPR (fiber reinforced plastic). Possibly your new lens has a barrel made of the same material (which might explain why it seems lighter than the other lens. People have reported trouble screwing and unscrewing some lenses into these barrels, including me. The best thing to do is apply a small amount of silicone grease or some NyoGel. (Not cheap but fantastic stuff to have on hand for various projects)

I prefer metal barrels and lens holders but sometimes you just get what they send you.

Thanks! I just happen to have silicone grease on hand--will give it a try.
If I had to guess, the TREEYE M12 barrel is metal, and it seems like it's not perfectly in-round. At least that's what it feels like to me, from experience. Maybe they clamped down a bit too hard on the hollow barrel while assembling the entire lens assembly and bent it slightly oval.
I could measure it but it is close enough that at least it didn't strip the threads. And perhaps it's lucky that I don't have to use the grub screw to secure it.

Thanks! I just happen to have silicone grease on hand--will give it a try.
If I had to guess, the TREEYE M12 barrel is metal, and it seems like it's not perfectly in-round. At least that's what it feels like to me, from experience. Maybe they clamped down a bit too hard on the hollow barrel while assembling the entire lens assembly and bent it slightly oval.
I could measure it but it is close enough that at least it didn't strip the threads. And perhaps it's lucky that I don't have to use the grub screw to secure it.
I don't use the grub screw with my varifocals, I just screw the lenses in until they are tight. It is different when you have to secure a regular M12 lens in place after it is focused.

I've never seen an out of round lens barrel. I guess anything is possible but the threads are machined on a lathe so I don't know how that could happen and still end up with viable threads. If the lens does have a problem Treeeye will replace it.

As for the grease, just make sure you don't use too much so that you might eventually get some onto the rear lens element or sensor. I usually put a tiny dab in a few places on the lens barrel and then screw the lens in and out of the holder a few times.

Last edited:
Thanks. I'll use as little grease as possible.

Re: out of round--I'm suggesting that it may have gone out of round AFTER the threads were cut. It might not even be TREEYE's doing--the lens could have been smushed during shipping (the packaging is quite thin--just a simple air bubble envelope).

A M12x0.5mm die could easily clean up the threads. I'd buy one except I have no use for it other than for this specific purpose. I like having taps and dies on hand but it only makes sense to get common sizes.

Thanks. I'll use as little grease as possible.

Re: out of round--I'm suggesting that it may have gone out of round AFTER the threads were cut. It might not even be TREEYE's doing--the lens could have been smushed during shipping (the packaging is quite thin--just a simple air bubble envelope).

A M12x0.5mm die could easily clean up the threads. I'd buy one except I have no use for it other than for this specific purpose. I like having taps and dies on hand but it only makes sense to get common sizes.

Contact Treeye and see what they have to say. You might even be able to exchange it for or get a discount on a 6-22mm lens. They've sometimes been pretty good about replacing lenses without requiring that you send the old one back to China but you may need to be able to demonstrate somehow what the problem is in a photograph, and I guess that would probably depend on how pronounced the out-of-round problem is.

Good news: the spare camera housing I ordered from BangGood has the C2-style lip spacing, so I will not have to drill/cut/grind anything.
Just transfer the guts of the camera from one housing to the other, then install the lens module with the varifocal lens I have from TREEYE, and it's done.
I luckily spent the least amount of money to get this Mobius 1 back in action, which will allow me to put more towards the second dash cam (either a Mobius Maxi 4K or Garmin 47 or 57). Thanks to everyone for their help!

Good news: the spare camera housing I ordered from BangGood has the C2-style lip spacing, so I will not have to drill/cut/grind anything.
Just transfer the guts of the camera from one housing to the other, then install the lens module with the varifocal lens I have from TREEYE, and it's done.
I luckily spent the least amount of money to get this Mobius 1 back in action, which will allow me to put more towards the second dash cam (either a Mobius Maxi 4K or Garmin 47 or 57). Thanks to everyone for their help!

Next. you might want to consider adding a polarizer to your new varifocal lens. :)

Examples

It seems like theres a lot of good info but with all the technical terms, its hard to understand.
I want one that can capture license plate at night while driving.
Of course it has to do well in daytime.
What would be the best custom set up now?

Back