Mobius vs Other DashCams

VPN to access Youtube? ;) Yes I know where you are.

yeah, The Great Firewall of China :)

Oh ya, the one they can see from space :rolleyes:

(Sorry off topic, couldn't resist :p Carry on)

Mobius (standard lens) & Innovv C1

Another video from Mtz. Mobius is at top of screen.

Mobius & BlackVue DR550GW-2CH

Skip to 1 min 2 secs for simultaneous footage.

I have the notion that BlackVue products are generally overpriced & underperforming. Possibly unfair, however, this video reinforces that notion for me.

Last edited:
This thread certainly reinforces the notion that the Mobius is the hands down best value for money of any camera in its class, especially after the most recent firmware update.

Mobius & BlackVue DR550GW-2CH

Skip to 1 min 2 secs for simultaneous footage.

I have the notion that BlackVue products are generally overpriced & underperforming. Possibly unfair, however, this video reinforces that notion for me.

In darker conditions the Blackvue (to me) seems like it might have the potential to pick up more detail?

I've never been a fan of the GoPro range, and the colour to me seems the worst out of all of them. The snow seems dull compared to the other ones. Is this just a bad video do you think or actually a problem?
Well, as it's my video, i will try to explain...
It's one of worst possible GoPro modes - ProTune off, narrow field of view. GoPro settings in this video is for different purposes.
If you want to see real GoPro power - go with protune, add some postprocessing (LUT's, some minor color correction, saturation fix - all can be done with presets), add wide angle and high-FPS mode...

In this video GoPro looks really bad, but... In most other modes mobius is still far far away from gopro, but i like mobius anyway.
I will change caps on my all 4x mobius cams and will do another comparison video (again, from car and from air if possible), with new firmware and different settings (ETA approx 2-3 weeks). I'm sure i won't include gopro into comparison, as they're too different cams to compare and leads to wrong conclusions.

I will change caps on my all 4x mobius cams and will do another comparison video (again, from car and from air if possible), with new firmware and different settings (ETA approx 2-3 weeks).

DashCammers value low-light video comparisons above any other kind. If you would focus your in-car footage on night time scenes on both lit & unlit roads, with your 4 Mobius cams at different settings, that would be very welcome.

DashCammers value low-light video comparisons above any other kind. If you would focus your in-car footage on night time scenes on both lit & unlit roads, with your 4 Mobius cams at different settings, that would be very welcome.

You are right about the importance of low light performance for Dash Cams but the more experience I have with different cameras, the more I've noticed other parameters that are equally and sometimes even more important. One thing I became aware of not long ago was that when a car is coming towards me in the opposite lane (let's say, for the sake of argument at 50 km/h) and is about a car length in front of my vehicle my GT300W will capture more detail with less motion blur than my Mobius given the same conditions on a sunny day. I need to do some simultaneous tests to quantify this but there is definitely a big difference between the two camera's clarity in capturing motion in the periphery. If it ever warms up around here past 10 degrees Fahrenheit I will do some definitive testing but that may be awhile the way things have been going. :(

I'm never sure what to think of comparisons between the GoPro and the Mobius because they are really such different cameras with different design goals at different price points but it is always interesting to see the results. It would be interesting to see how the GoPro models handle motion towards the edges of the FOV.

Last edited:
You are right about the importance of low light performance for Dash Cams but the more experience I have with different cameras, the more I've noticed other parameters that are equally and sometimes even more important. One thing I became aware of not long ago was that when a car is coming towards me in the opposite lane (let's say, for the sake of argument at 50 km/h) and is about a car length in front of my vehicle my GT300W will capture more detail with less motion blur than my Mobius given the same conditions on a sunny day. I need to do some simultaneous tests to quantify this but there is definitely a big difference between the two camera's clarity in capturing motion in the periphery. If it ever warms up around here past 10 degree Fahrenheit I will do some definitive testing but that may be awhile the way things have been going. :(

I'm never sure what to think of comparisons between the GoPro and the Mobius because they are really different such different cameras with different design goals at different price points but it is always interesting to see the results. It would be interesting to see how the GoPro models handle motion towards the edges of the FOV.
Another factor, for me at least, is size. You could fit 4 Mobius inside the GT300w case. Here if someone sees my Mobius, it doesn't look like much, not very expensive or elaborate. It kinda looks cheap. The GT300w and similar look like a point and shoot camera and therefore much more tempting. Where I live showing your camera can get you in trouble, so size is an important factor.

Another factor, for me at least, is size. You could fit 4 Mobius inside the GT300w case. Here if someone sees my Mobius, it doesn't look like much, not very expensive or elaborate. The GT300w and similar look like a camera and therefore much more tempting. Where I live showing your camera can get you in trouble, so size is an important factor.

Yes, I agree completely. I have a DR32 with a black painted chrome lens ring and it just looks like a little square box. From outside the vehicle it usually looks like it could be any type of modern gadget like a GPS or satellite radio module, whereas the GT300W definitely looks like a camera and I "swear" it somehow got bigger since I bought it! The Mobius doesn't look like much if it is noticeable at all. I guess this is one of the other reasons I said that there are "other parameters that are equally and sometimes even more important" than the mention of low light performance (comparisons) being valued "above any other kind" . It's really the whole package, both size and different areas of performance and the Mobius is hard to beat in many respects, especially as the developer continues to improve it. I do hope the motion blur near the edges of the FOV can be improved to match the GT300W though since they are both based on the same components.

Last edited:
You know, I was just reading Russ331's original post for this thread back in November and his intention was specifically to compare the video quality of the Mobius to other cameras, not size or anything else. It's so easy to lose sight of the theme of the OP on this board and stray into other subjects, so maybe we should leave size and other physical factors to some other discussion and stick with the topic. :)

One thing I became aware of not long ago was that when a car is coming towards me in the opposite lane (let's say, for the sake of argument at 50 km/h) and is about a car length in front of my vehicle my GT300W will capture more detail with less motion blur than my Mobius given the same conditions on a sunny day.

Re Post 35 above, threads often get off-topic, but that's fine. I don't have any other dashcam with which to directly compare my Mobius, apart from my girlfriend's DVR 027 clone, & that wouldn't come out well for the 027.

Below is a link to a single frame extracted from a video clip (thanks RegistratorViewer) taken a while ago.

https://mega.co.nz/#!RB1RDISZ!w1vQjuPimh4ZkWHW6TVnepcoZHKfJk2KxCW4539OyRU

Shows an oncoming car approaching mine. Combined speed is approx 100mph. Mobius B. Lowest Data Rate. 1080p/30. FW v0.53.

I'm happy with the video quality, though I'd like to see some simultaneous Mobius vs GT300W footage for comparitive purposes. Is the GT300W better than the LS300W, with which niko has previously compared the Mobius?

I wish I had some footage on hand to show what I'm talking about. I discovered that keeping too much random dash cam video around on my computer takes up WAY too much space on my hard drives when I do periodic back-ups, so I throw away anything that is not of particular interest to me before I do a back-up. If we should ever emerge from the extended spell of bitter, bitter cold weather we've been experiencing here in New England I will be more inclined to get out there and do a side by side comparison of the Mobius and the GT300W.

Edit: That screen shot looks very good compared to what I'm talking about. Need to explore this further and gather some actual comparisons.

I am so glad i dont own some 2-3-400 dollars actioncams, looking at the mobius and innovv footage i would have a sick feeling in my stomach if i did.

And i would any time take a littel lesser video quality and then get a mutch smaller form factor, i hope both innovv and mobius can stay same size or maybe 1/3 smaller when they make ther next cameras.

Mobius wide angle vs Gopro hero 2 daytime

Night time ( The flickering on the Mobius has been addressed with a firmware update and it is now not flickering anymore)

Back