Mobius

Mtz

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Dash Cam
Viofo A229 Pro TeleQuad
Mobius Actioncam.jpg

The Mobius ActionCam is more an action 1080p camera than a Car DVR but it have the Auto-Start feature when power is detected, loop mode, motion detect, windshield mount which is making it a real dashcam.
I recommend this camera for the users which are looking for the smallest dashcam. It doesn't have GPS, G-Sensor and display, but have Audio-Video out so you can use some external monitor.
The bitrate is up to 18mbps for 1080p and 7500kbps for 720p@30fps and have also the 720p@60fps mode. You can make a lot of settings using the Windows mSetup or the Android aMCA application for gadgets with USB OTG.

Mobius Manual
Mobius advanced stuff
Dimensions: 61mm (L) x 35mm (W) x18mm (H) and 39 grams.

I like this camera because is made from good materials, firmware is under continuous development, so future firmwares will be released for sure, adding features or fixing bugs. You will be not forget after-sales and this is very important.

If you have firmware or hardware requests, just ask here. You can also can see the development.
Here are some mounting solutions and ideas.

Pic #5.jpg Pic #1.jpg

More info will come...

enjoy,
Mtz

Attachments

• Pic #3.jpg
    Pic #3.jpg
    491 KB · Views: 2,611
Last edited:
I'm a newb to the dashcam world, but that looks pretty good to me. I think this might be the cam I buy for my main car, providing the footage matches the specs.

If the buttons are on the top, I'm guessing it has to be mounted on/near the dash rather than upper windscreen, hopefully it has an image flip function.

This is the list (for now, maybe more in the future) of the Mobius camera options:

• Image flip (180 deg. rotation)
• Auto-record when power to the camera is applied (useful for car recorder use - no button presses needed.)
• TV out (PAL or NTSC), which will include a playback mode.
• Three user selectable video modes, toggled by the mode button after power up. Either mode can be set to record 1080p-30fps or 720p-60fps or 720p-30fps. The video format is .MOV with H.264 compression codec. but this camera can record sequential clips with a one sec. overlap, so there is no lost video and no need for an AVI firmware like the #16 to get that benefit.
• Three movie quality settings (Super, Standard, and Low), which will vary the recording bit rates suitable for the user-selected frame size and frame rate. The Super setting with 1080p-30 fps video gives an approximate average total bit rate around 18,000 kbps. with a high detail and motion scene. The Low setting with 720p-30 fps video gives approximately 5800 kbps on the low end.
• Four video recording cycle time settings will be 5, 10, and 15 min. plus "Max", all of which will stop/save/continue. The Max setting will record until the 4GB files size limit is reached, the card runs out of space, or the battery power is removed. The actual Max recording time will vary dramatically accord to the users settings for frame size, frame rate, and movie quality. The 4GB file limit can be reached in less than 30 min. with 1080p High quality video.
• Loop recording (5 min. clips with one sec. video overlap, so no lost video). Pressing the mode button while in Loop Record mode will make the current clip being recorded write protected so it will not get over written during looping. The file can be manually deleted, though.
• Manual saving the actual recording
• Movie sound (off plus three volume levels)
• Recording LED toggle
• Photo capture mode with frame sizes of 2048x1536, 1920x1080, or 1280x720 (all native pixel sizes - no up conversion)
• Time lapse photos with delays between images still being tweaked. The targeted delay times range from 0.25 to 60 sec.
• Movie/photo time stamp toggle
• Power on button delay (to prevent premature activation while handling)
• Charging on/off toggle when plugged into a USB data port (useful for some external USB devices)
• TV display ratio (4:3 or 16:9)
• GUI program support for setting the parameters will be available.

All these options are available using an USB cable and a PC. From the camera buttons you can only make just few settings.

enjoy,
Mtz

Can be the same chipset as the DR32 and 808 #26, maybe the (Sunplus) iCatch SPCA6330A.
But is not. Another chipset and another CMOS, still a mystery.

From the picture we cannot see what is printed on the chipset.
The developer don't want to offer many details about the camera until he will launch it, for example the CMOS and DSP, so we need to wait for more details.

But from my previous experience with #16 I know he is very good in firmware development and for sure he will offer firmware upgrades. The only question for me is if he can do the same things with the new iCatch chip as he did with the Novatek chip from the 808 #16. For sure the tools will be different and I hope he "knows" how to use them to release new firmwares based on our requests.
Because the camera is very used in Aerial Photography (AP) is very possible he listen more the AP users than the car users. For example I always requested the 1 2 and 3 minutes loop duration but he didn't implemented it because wasn't an AP request. But I can say the Auto-Start feature was a car user request and the event file saving option by manually pressing the mode button. Maybe he can understand than can sell many units also to the car users and the AP domain is not the "center of the world".

These are the Car mounts

enjoy,
Mtz

Attachments

• Pic #4.jpg
    Pic #4.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 2,568
  • Pic #6.jpg
    Pic #6.jpg
    362.2 KB · Views: 2,561
will be interesting to see what has been used, historically I'm not really a fan of Sunplus as I've had many bad experiences with them over the years releasing featured packed products that always seemed to have some bug that could never be resolved, hopefully they've improved in recent years

If the chipset is the same as DR32 you can look for our users feedback of DR32 until the Mobius camera will be launched. I remember they are satisfied with the video quality.
Do you think the OV2710 is the best CMOS from the cheap ones?

enjoy,
Mtz

Mtz said:
If the chipset is the same as DR32 you can look for our users feedback of DR32 until the Mobius camera will be launched. I remember they are satisfied with the video quality.
Do you think the OV2710 is the best CMOS from the cheap ones?

enjoy,
Mtz

actually I downloaded some raw footage from the DR32 today, the files don't seem to play smoothly for some reason

OV2710 gives ok night results, not so great during the day, cameras that don't offer a decent bitrate seem to struggle, the OV2710 is very common in many cameras, some suppliers seem to get better results than others, maybe using it in combination with a better lens though, a lot I've noticed use a very cheap 4 glass Chinese lens with this sensor which I think is probably part of the problem

there have been some new releases from some other suppliers though that I think are going to be much better

That's a great camera thanks for the introduction. As I said in another thread a person who don't know the camera can't say if it's a garage door opener or a camera of course you can see it when there is a cable plugged in :D

The overlapping recording is awesome also the mini USB and not any special port is fantastic I hope so much that it will sold for unter 100$

I can't wait to see video footage of it.

Hey everyone,
I just wanted to let you all know that I am selling the Mobius Action Camera on www.joovuu.com (you may have seen on RCGroups Aerial Photography Forum). I'm currently selling the pre-release version (it has the most up-to-date firmware - 0.25, and the only change will be there will be an LED on the back as well, my model only has the LED on the top). I also sell the 808 #16 and the 808 #26. I am also selling the car DVR DR32 (though this is on pre-order and will be with me next week I hope). My website is based in the UK and therefore I can ship quickly to the EU and European Economic Area Countries. I try to keep my prices as competitive as possible and my website as easy to find things as possible but as it is rather new there are teething problems. If you do visit the website please leave me any feedback you can, here, or via email. I'm always looking to improve, and if you think I should sell a product or something please let me know as I'm always looking to expand.

My website is www.joovuu.com

Thank you very much,

Daniel Jaenicke

Last edited by a moderator:
Does your version come with any of the mounting brackets?

In case anybody is interested, we recorded a video using the new Mobius Action Camera as a Dash Camera (using the car mount and the charger). Video is pretty nice for a little camera that's under $100. Obviously there isn't any GPS on this unit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... LU0e2ASbRo.

Could you post to a dropbox site as I think youtube has done it's tomfoolery and lowered the res? Can't make out any of the numberplates which is fairly important for a dash cam.

:?:

Watched the video on Youtube and was able the read nearly every license plate, even from the cars two lanes at the side!
Except in the tunnel, this is an issue most dashcams are suffering in low light conditions.

But from the toll station on a very good quality.
Which cam is it exactly?

;)

Regards

This is the older brother of 808 #16 cam
I read it will also have one LED light in the back

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372343577.817825.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372343577.817825.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 1,746
drh said:
This is the older brother of 808 #16 cam
I read it will also have one LED light in the back

I read this also, not buying till this version is available (any ideas ?), and when Techmoan has tested it against the 808 #26 (imminent apparently ! )

Weird, must be my work computer. Will try watching it again when I get home.

There are double topics about mobius cam maybe this one or the other one can be deleted

Yes I did not know whether to post it here or on the 808 page. The version we have and which we filmed the footage on is the final hardware version. It does not have LEDs on the back, but has them on the front. The video quality is quite nice, we will have the video posted on dropbox later today and will provide a link.

Back