Momento M6 (upgraded to 256GB SD...still not recording enough content)

dr3wski

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all,
I recently installed a Momento M6 and upgraded the 32GB SD to 256GB.
I wash surprised to see that the unit is not recording more content...it seems that it is recording a fixed amount of content irrespective of the size of the SD card.
Has anyone encountered this problem?

Thank you.

Hi all,
I recently installed a Momento M6 and upgraded the 32GB SD to 256GB.
I wash surprised to see that the unit is not recording more content...it seems that it is recording a fixed amount of content irrespective of the size of the SD card.
Has anyone encountered this problem?

Thank you.
You haven't mentioned the method you formatted the card.
Like most dash cams they are still using fat32 file storage format which wasn't designed to work on large storage devices.
32GB is the maximum for FAT32.

The solution is to use a special formatting program tool.

Here is the solution offered by Momento.

Thank you so much for the insight...took me a few days to get to this. Here's where I am at:
- The SD was already formatted to FAT32 and was completely full (~230GB)
- The site you sent states, "High- capacity SD cards will need to be formatted using FAT32 protocol"
- The program Momento says to use did not work for me...I found one that did
- I noticed that the storage is retaining videos from 7+ days ago
- My motion sensitivity is set to the lowest setting 1/1, front/rear
* * * When I am parked for a long duration (at work), the device cuts off recording at fixed times every day (front and rear)...it may be at 8:59 am....or 10:17 am....or 12:14 pm....I return to the vehicle around 3:30 - 4 pm.........so the device is choosing to not record for a large block of time while my vehicle is parked....I don't like that.

Questions:
1 - Is it safe reformat my 256GB card using the M6 app or will that mess up the file system? (I think it is because I believe I did reformat it once since upgrading the SD)
2 - Is there some way to command the M6 to delete older driving/parking content.....as to make room for more of my parking time when I am at work.....which is mainly why I bought this device to begin with?

Thank you.

If.. I had those symptoms with my Blackvue I would be looking at the battery saving settings. I assume your Momento M6 has similar battery saving settings to prevent a dead battery and with your Momento M6 turning off at random times, I am guessing it's the voltage of your battery that is shutting the camera off. Could be wrong..

The camera stopping parking guard at fixed times every day do sound strange, normally / as far as i know there are only a few things that should stop recordings.

1: the camera overheat and shut down to protect itself, but that is highly unlikely it will happen at the same time days in a row.
2: a timer value is reached, i have for a while just used 1 hour parking guard, but as my parked car got rear ended Thursday after the timer had turned off the camera i now use a 3 hour timer cut off.
3: low voltage shut off, most cameras have this to prevent your car battery getting drained too deep, as this is harmful to lead acid batteries, in general it is recommended to stay at 12.2 Volts or higher cut off voltage.
This too i dont think is the case here as that would also be very strange it would tab out the same time every day.

Depending on how much you drive every day a 256GB card will have / could have recordings going way back, even weeks.

Since it is fixed times parking guard cut off, it could be a setting that tell the camera to do that, it is just not something i have ever seen or heard off myself, but as this brand are a complete unknown to me it could be the case.
Either way that should be changeable in the cameras settings then.
It do make a little sense, myself for instance i have CCTV on my parked car at home, so really parked there i do not need parking guard, i also think some brands are working on a geo-fence like option, so at your home GPS coordinates for instance parking guard will not turn on, but anywhere else it would do that.
Doing the same sort of with times are a bit flawed i think, even if you are at work every day from 9 to 5 and park in a safe place there.
May i ask is this stop in parking guard also happening on the weekends ??

Q / A
1: i think the app would be safe to use, and would format to a usable file format, in the old days when 32 GB was the norm for memory cards we often had to use some software to force format a 64 GB card to the FAT32 format
2: i think old parking guard footage will also get deleted automatic when it is the oldest stuff on the card, to make room for more regular driving files or new parking guard files, many systems will secretly assign XX % of the memory card space to event and parking guard files.
As i recall many systems will even overwrite RO / protected files once that memory segment fill up, for sure you will want to retrieve events as soon as possible.

Thank you both for the thoughtful replies.
- Voltage cut-off is set to 12.0v (NOTE: This is a brand new car with a burly battery...and it is summer here--warmer weather, the battery drains less than colder weather)
- Regarding GPS, I don't have my GPS sensor plugged in...I don't see the point of it. If you feel there is a point, please let me know!
- The timer value I had set to 12hrs...I just maxed it out at 48hrs
- NOTE: I have my memory allocation set to 50% parking
- One thing I did notice is that my dashcam identifies certain "EVENTS" which are not really events...some bumpy road is understandable, but it also identifies parking events are uneventful
- I did format the SD in the dashcam just now and tomorrow I will see how much it is recording.
- I also adjusted the sensitivity down a notch for 'PARKING IMPACT EVENTS' ...sometimes this thing is thinking theres some parking impact when there is not...but infrequently...it's mainly recording via motion sensors, which are set to the lowest sensitivity but seem to record a lot of NOTHING
* * * What concerns me is why is the M6 not overwriting previous files, so it can fill up with 12 hours of parking? And now it's got 50% of 256GB to record 48 hours of parking motion..."Events"...whatnot

Thank you again I shall keep you posted this week.

I prefer to have G sensor off while driving, even if Danish roads are not too bad in general, but for the amount we pay in tax here the roads should be paved with leaf gold and be resurfaced every year.
And my driving style are now so moderate it alone would not set off the G-sensor. Some times you can not turn G-sensor off in cameras i test, but they are now tuned better so on low i get very few false event triggers.

For parking guard i prefer the always record low bitrate option, but here i will also have the G-sensor on as low bitrate are just regular footage so will get overwritten for sure. Also the G-sensor locked files will then act as a beacon of where a actual event happened, otherwise if parked a long time and you had a event you have to sit thru a lot of video to find out what happened and when.

If event files are permanently locked, as they was on old dashcams then you run into a couple of problems.
1: the whole memory card would be full of read only events, leaving 0 space for regular files.
2: the assigned memory space fill up, and then can not hold more as it is full.

So i feel there should be some recycling of memory space here too, but for sure you do not want to low ball your memory card size, you having 256 GB is fine in my book, it is what i use myself mostly, only for memory card compatibility testing will i use smaller cheaper 128 GB cards ( i am retired so just have my pension )

A few years ago i tested with a SG camera to see how much of the memory space was assigned for events, doing that with camera running on the computer table just press the event button once in a while.
This was mainly done as SG cameras save 2 files from each cameras, so as it was a dual system i would get 2 X 3 minutes from each camera, a seemingly whopping 12 minutes in a event, but it held plenty of events for me not to worry about it, actually now the 2 file events are what i prefer as if you just lock 1 file, it could be bad timing if the event was right after the start of a new file ( not much before ) or if you was at the end of a file, not much after the event.

With the SG cameras working like that using 3 minute files, well you would at least have 1.5 minutes before or after the event ( worst case scenario )
so if current file are less then 50% done, a event would lock it + the previous one, or if the current file are more then 50% the current file would get locked + the next one.

At home i have CCTV on my car, and i felt 1 hour was fine as it cover all my shopping, but i do visit my sister now and then, and that took out my rear bumper on Thursday, and if it wasent for a witness taking down number plate on the girl that did it i would have been so screwed, as a good year ago i changed from full coverage to the minimum coverage which generally only cover the damage i might make on other peoples cars.

So god the tough love of a tow hitch, and my fragile little red car did not like that at all.
skade-04-8-2022-jpg.61283

When I am parked for a long duration (at work), the device cuts off recording at fixed times every day (front and rear)...it may be at 8:59 am....or 10:17 am....or 12:14 pm..
What is on the recording at those times?
I'm wondering if it is picking up shadows as the sun goes over. They would tend to be the same time of day.
Is it safe reformat my 256GB card using the M6 app or will that mess up the file system?
While I don't own this dash cam I haven't heard of any dash cam that damage the file system.
To format the card there are two programs that are suggested in this site.
Sdformatter https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/
and guiformat which formats large memory cards to the FAT32 file system.

I reformatted the card and it records all day when the card is formatted.
I just turned off the motion sensors (because even the lowest setting picks up negligible motion) and now have it only set to record impact.
I'm doing trial and error here. I once read that dashcams are where cell phones were 15 years ago.....I can kinda see what that person was speaking of :)
(My file formating is fine...and actually has been so the whole time.)

You haven't mentioned the method you formatted the card.
Like most dash cams they are still using fat32 file storage format which wasn't designed to work on large storage devices.
32GB is the maximum for FAT32.

The solution is to use a special formatting program tool.

Here is the solution offered by Momento.
I received this email the other day. It seems like the Momento website has erroneous information that may or may not work with respect to Rufus. You should use Rufus 3.21 to format the MicroSD. I have experienced after placing a newly formated 256 GB in the Momento M6, the File History icon showing dates prior to the date the SD card was inserted for the first time. That is obviously a glitch, since those dates could not possibly have existed on the card. Also, the SD card adapter that came with the SD card should be used rather than the internal adapter. I tried the internal adapter on a SanDisk SD card and, after being formatted, and then inserted into the Momento M6, certain videos, when selected, would cause the Momento M6 to disconnect from wifi. The software app would say wifi was off, when in actuality it was on, causing me to restart the software app. Momento WAS ABSOLUTELY NO HELP IN RECTIFYING THE PROBLEM. I have 3 identical SanDisk MicroSD cards of 256GB capacity. Only one was formatted using the internal adapter. The other two were formatted with the adapter that came with the SD card. I reformatted the one initally formatted with the internal adapter by using the one supplied with the SD card. The only other thing that I noticed was the File History still shows prior dates prior to the initial date the card was inserted into the Momento M6 for the first time, that could not possibly have existed on the SD card. That issue has not been answered. The videos are all ok now.

Sent: Wednesday, December 28, 2022
Subject: Re: Rufus

RufusPortable_3.20.paf.exe is NOT an official version of Rufus.

The only official version of Rufus is signed by "Akeo Consulting" and can be downloaded from the official website at https://rufus.ie.

As for formatting a 256 GB SD card as FAT32 Rufus should be able to do it (as long as you use a USB to SD adapter, as I can't guarantee that all the internal SD adapters can work with Rufus).

It'll be formatted as "Large FAT32" rather than FAT32 though, as one needs to apply some extensions to be able to format drives larger than 32 GB to FAT32. See: http://ridgecrop.co.uk/index.htm?fat32format.htm

The extensions do not deviate from the FAT32 specifications, so drives formatted as Large FAT32 should work.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Dash Cam Discussion 1
D Dash Cam Discussion 5
B Dash Cam Discussion 8
Back