Monitoring Device for the DR550GW

BJ SWYERS

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Could someone please tell me what is the best WiFi monitoring device to use with the DR550GW besides the I phone or Apple I pad.

whatever connects I have an Android phone and a Sony Tablet Had an Iphone.

Never bother after the intitial shine wore off.

I was thinking about the Amazon Kindle fire HD 16GB WiFi 7". Do you think that would be a good choice Hillbilly?

don't know haven't got one I had a Kobo

I use Asus memo hd7 and it works fine to view, but cannot download videos.

That's all fine but how do you know if a device will connect. If you buy a device and it doesn't connect you could be out a lot of money. I would like to know what devices people are using to connect to the DR550GW and I choose from the list. Let me know what's best guys.
Thanks

I am using my android phone and a samsung 10.1" tablet to check the recordings through blackvue app. Tablet is definitely better in terms of the bigger viewing screen. However, the more files you have on your sd card, the longer it will take to load. The bigger file size recordings (eg higher bitrate) will also take much longer to stream when viewing the recordings.

I've tried to connect it via the browser once but it just took too long to connect that I gave up as I was in a hurry. Perhaps I will try it again when free..

Any IOS or Android device with Wi-Fi and that can run the blackvue app should work fine, I have connected lots of my friends different devices to my 550 without any problem and it doesn't take much processing power to run the app and storage is only required should you wish to actually download a file from the Blackvue :)

NB: I have also had the system running at highest quality recording, saving both front and rear cameras AND streaming to an Android device without issue. (Just wish I could get a WP app without having to make my own, but that's another story! lol)

I just wish they would use some of the Bit rate available for Streaming live video to record better video.

I would recommend an Android device that supports USB on-the-go (OTG). USB OTG is not commonly available nor much talked about, but I have found it very useful. I am using an 8 inch Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 with USB OTG support. I usually leave the tablet in my car.

Basically, OTG allows your Android device to act like a host computer. Normally, if you plug an SD card into a computer, the computer will recognize the card and allow you to copy to/from the card and play media files on the card. However, it you find some way to plug an SD card into the external USB port of an Android device, the device will not recognize the card. You will have to plug the card into the internal card slot on the Android device. The internal slot may already be occupied, however, and replacing it might cause problems with the functioning of your device

USB OTG solves the problem and allows Android device to act like a host computer to access the external, temporary SD card, for copy to/from and to play media files.

Here's why what that is good.

Although the BlackVue WiFi is convenient for changing dashcam settings, it is not good for looking at video. The video is slow to load from the BlackVue to an Android device, and the video is constantly interrupted by buffering. If you have an accident and want to show video while at the scene of the accident, you have to be within the short WiFi range, the car has to have 12 volt power, and other people have to be patient while you try to find the correct file to play, and they have to be patient with delays caused by the constant WiFi buffering. All this may be difficult with a wrecked car.

With my Android device, I just remove the SD card from the BlackVue, plug the card into the external USB port on the Android device, and play any file with no interruption.

This shows the BlackVue SD card plugged into the BlackVue supplied adapter (red part) which in turn is plugged into a USB cable that connects to the USB port on my Galaxy Tab. The "My Files" Android app is opened, showing that the dashcam video files are located at /storage/UsbDriveA/BlackVue/Record. This is useful to do one time to make sure you know where the files are.
adapter-files_zps0193e180.jpg

Here is a clearer screen-shot.
files_zpse83e3b6e.jpg

I start the BlackVue app on my Galaxy Tab and on the home screen, select "Search microSD".
home_zpsde791d93.jpg

Then I select "/storage/UsbDriveA" and press the "select" button.
path_zpsdb1528fc.jpg

Then, back again at the home screen, select "BlackVueSD". This screen then appears, showing all the videos available to play.
videos_zps0a8ab7ed.jpg

You, of course, see the same video list if you connect using WiFi, but now each video plays immediately and with no buffering interruptions. This can be useful if you are dealing with a cranky police officer. (Of course, if you are at fault, do not do any of the above!)

A video playback: If you have an Internet connection, the mapping window also works.
video-still_zpsb9cbf22b.jpg

(I am responding here to a comment placed in my profile, since my reply in the profile was too long to be accepted.)

BJ SWYERS asked:
I should asked you if you can monitor the GPS and activity as it is happening on your Samsung as you are in motion?

My reply:

Monitoring GPS activity when "in motion" strongly suggests that you are talking about using a WiFi connection to the operating BlackVue, not simply playing back already recorded video. I ran a test with both my Samsung tablet and my Samsung cellphone, and the answer seems to be "no GPS display". This is the case with live video, and with already recorded video (when streamed over WiFi from the BlackVue).

Live and recorded video came over the WiFi fine (but no GPS information). The video as noted before is constantly paused with a "buffering" message - the WiFi is not all that fast. (Actually, the live video quality is purposely degraded so much that there is no buffering problem>)

With the SD card attached to the tablet using USB-OTG, the video had a little compass icon in the upper right that I could use to turn the GPS display on/off. When connected using WiFi, the compass icon was never present.

Hope that helps! :)

Last edited:
Always remembering of course that if you are driving whilst monitoring it on a screen it may well be illegal where you live It certainly is in Australia.

As are those cameras that have a built in screen on the back of them.

Why would you want to watch on a screen what you are looking at through the windscreen.

I might be missing something here but have never had any desire to look at footage unless I have an absolute need to.

I just got a new HTC Legend A6365 phone and I need to know what I download from the Blackvue site to connect to the DR550GW WiFI with this phone. So Ican get this phone communicating with camera

I just got a new HTC Legend A6365 phone and I need to know what I download from the Blackvue site to connect to the DR550GW WiFI with this phone. So Ican get this phone communicating with camera

If its an Android you get the Blackvue App from Google store

If its an Android you get the Blackvue App from Google store
Right - there should be a "Google Play" app on your HTC (assuming that it is Android). Start the app to go to Google Play, and in the app store there search for "blackvue app".

There may be a "blackvue sport" app, but you do not want that one.

Yep, you are right there Hillbilly but I still think you might want to see where the GPS is leading you, also what do you do if the settings are not right and you want to change something on the camera? I think you would be very disappointed if someone plowed into you at intersection causing a lot of damage and you could not prove who was at fault because you could not see if your camera was monitoring properly. I really don't think people would be buying a lot of GPS or tv's units if they could not see a screen showing where they are heading and what they are viewing and why are they marketing automobiles with monitoring screens devices built in the dash?. ( weird) I think a camera without a monitor is like a blind man walking down the road with out a guide dog or a cane. Your gambling if you cant see where your going or what your doing. Not a very clever idea! And I do understand the safety aspect of this. Da d Da

Right - there should be a "Google Play" app on your HTC (assuming that it is Android). Start the app to go to Google Play, and in the app store there search for "blackvue app".

There may be a "blackvue sport" app, but you do not want that one.
Thanks very much for the info. erewhon. I'm slowly working on that Google connection but I'm having a problem connecting with it. I'll just keep on trucking!

Back